Author Topic: points = pickup  (Read 1288 times)

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
points = pickup
« on: 21.06. 2010 20:58 »
Sorry gents I should know this one, have trolled the Lucas mails with no luck, can't believe it's not been asked before though.

With the timing set up as per Haynes - Timing side pot on compression, points set with the heel engaging the bottom cam which pickup provides the spark?
I'm at the stage of fitting the plug leads, and would appreciate your help to save a bit of time.
Thought I would have the thing up and running yesterday but first off I lost the rocker box covers, took a complete shed tidy up to reveal them.
Next I had forgotten to wire up a kill switch, then the Indian Fuel tank proved to be not quite correct in the single bolt fixing area, also found that despite the fine spline on both ends of the rear brake cross shaft it proved impossible to get a position to suit the cable although the answer is most likely to do with the brake linings as there is a bit too much travel on the arm
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
Re: points = pickup
« Reply #1 on: 21.06. 2010 21:47 »
Hello, always wondered about it, but always after the mag was back on the engine! Having the magneto in front of me this time, turning by hand and looking at the safety screw spark, occurs at the opposite pickup relative to the points - Or said another way, at the pickup closest to the heel\cam.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 22.06. 2010 08:11 »
Once the mag is mounted on the bike, you'll need a small mirror, placed between the cylinder and the front pickup opening, plus a torch. This way you can spot the brass insert on the slip ring.
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

www.histo-tech.at - Restoration, Repairs, Racing

Austria

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 22.06. 2010 08:56 »
Many thanks guys - now if I remember, I'll print this off and insert it into manual
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 22.06. 2010 09:48 »
Set the magneto so that the points are just opening at about the 10 o'clock position.  The HT lead from the rear pick up should go to the right hand side cylinder as you are sat on the bike.

Beezageezauk.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 22.06. 2010 12:30 »
Thanks Beezageezauk, thats what I'm after
All the best - Bill

Offline shabashow

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 20.07. 2010 18:05 »
I put a couple of dabs of white paint on the plate the points are mounted on to indicate the extent and location of the brass contact. Saves me having to get my dentists mirror out for next time.