Author Topic: A7 rigid tinware  (Read 2883 times)

Offline trickytree

• A's Good Friend
  • Lincolnshire, England
A7 rigid tinware
« on: 26.06. 2010 21:50 »
I have an early welded up A7 frame, does anyone know if the tank and oil tank are the same as on the bolt up rigid/plunger frames?

Cheers, Paul.
1965 A65 Bobber
A10 Bitza project

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: A7 rigid tinware
« Reply #1 on: 26.06. 2010 23:16 »
Paul,
            We need a bit more information. What exactly is your frame? Do you mean a YA7 or XA7 frame?
Rigid frames use a different oil tank to plunger. Early frames have a different air cleaner/battery box to, I think, ZA7 frames.
The early fuel tank can have a speedo in the top which was moved fairly quickly to the top yoke. Fuel taps are fitted right at the rear of the tank and angle towards the rear of the bike. Also the pump brackets are on the bottom of the tank.
More knowledgeable members may correct some of this and add their two-bobs worth.
  Trev.

Offline trickytree

• A's Good Friend
  • Lincolnshire, England
« Reply #2 on: 27.06. 2010 00:46 »
Its a YA7, which according to the OC list makes it a '48. Sorry, I should have pointed out that this is certainly not going to be an authentic restoration, so originality isnt in the slightest bit important. The bike arived at Yeomans in chopper form and has had a load of lugs and brackets removed, fortunatly the main structure has remained intact and the engine and tank mountings are still there. The hardtail section has been widened but I can sort that, at least it has the original axle plates.

I very much doubt I will use an original airbox or battery tray, so no problem there, I do however want things to look as if they belong on the bike, certainly with regards to the oil and fuel tank. I must admit if I could find one I would love a tank with the speedo mounting. As for the oil tank, again as long as it looks right....He did manage to sell me a oil tank but it is meant for a bike with a sloping seat tube, not a vertical one so the recess for the seat tube means the the angle it sits at is all wrong.

So, if its only small detail changes regarding the oil tank do you think a plunger one would "fit"....they do seem to be relativly easy to come by (and if I could pick one up cheaply enough I would take a chance on one).....petrol tanks are a bit too pricey to experiment with however.

Cheers, Paul.
1965 A65 Bobber
A10 Bitza project

Offline trickytree

• A's Good Friend
  • Lincolnshire, England
« Reply #3 on: 27.06. 2010 01:26 »
Sorry about this chaps, just spent some time on google images and I can clearly see that the oil tanks are very differant between rigid and plunger frames. Still unsure on the tank however...tommorow I will measure the distance between the mounting holes, perhaps someone can compare with a plunger frame?

Cheers, Paul.
1965 A65 Bobber
A10 Bitza project

Offline Rusty nuts

• West Sussex
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 27.06. 2010 07:44 »
A plunger oil tank tank will fit, likewise petrol tank.
 I have both on a 47 rigid I am building.
Nearly done *lol*

Rusty
1949 A7 Plunger
1947 A7 Rigid Star Twin
1969 Triumph T120R
1972 Triumph T120V

Offline trickytree

• A's Good Friend
  • Lincolnshire, England
« Reply #5 on: 27.06. 2010 10:45 »
Nice one Rusty! Good news about the petrol tank as they are at least avaiable....pretty sure you can get new Indian made ones??
Re: the oil tank, would be interested to see a piccy when its done. Looking at a rigid and a plunger from the side the plunger tank is narrower as the rear mudguard sits further away from the wheel...a rigid tank certainly looks bigger from the side, wonder if it holds more oil? According to my Pre-Unit Twins book the tank capacity was increased when the s/a frame was introduced.

Cheers, Paul.
1965 A65 Bobber
A10 Bitza project

Offline Rusty nuts

• West Sussex
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 27.06. 2010 11:23 »
Paul

I've never seen an Indian petrol tank that will fit these earlier rigid or plunger frames, though they were some about a few years ago so legend has it.
The petrol tanks 1950 on are completely different & will not fit.

Yeomans sometimes have old ones but you've just been there so assume not at present.

IMHO the plunger oil tank looks better than the original rigid one, pic to follow but first have to put gearbox back together, mow the lawn, watch the F1 & then hide behind the sofa with a duvet over my head.
Come on England  *beer*
1949 A7 Plunger
1947 A7 Rigid Star Twin
1969 Triumph T120R
1972 Triumph T120V

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 27.06. 2010 18:14 »
HI, trickytree
If you search the forum posts you will find pics of oil tanks on rigid/plungers/ this was discussed in the last 2 months or so, cant remember the people involved  ???? ????
Cheers
John O R
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Rusty nuts

• West Sussex
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 29.06. 2010 09:31 »
Paul,

Sorry for delay, just crawled out from behind the sofa!

Here are a couple of pics of the plunger oil tank on a (1947) rigid frame as requested.

Cheers

Rusty
1949 A7 Plunger
1947 A7 Rigid Star Twin
1969 Triumph T120R
1972 Triumph T120V

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 14.06. 2012 10:32 »
Hiya Trickytree
                 I did a search for pictures of ~'47 fuel tank and found this post, and another one.

Your question has probably been answered, but I'll just say that I have an oil tank that I always thought was from a plunger until I went to see if it will fit my A10 plunger(~'52),and it fitted till I added the mudguard. It's just a bit fatter at the back, as was suggested, so I thought maybe it's from a rigid, meaning backward but not 'forward compatible'. Can take a picture if you still need info??

Re fuel tank; can't answer question but will ask 'Rusty nuts' if you(anyone else) have photos of your '47 Fuel tank??

I'm trying to ID the tank I've had on mine, hence the search. As it fitted fairly much straight on my A10 Plunger I figured it to be BSA, but along the way for some reason I'd been led to believe it from an Ariel, now with more access to info see it could be '47 A7(?), mainly as it is a speedo-in style.
     Any chance of photos of yours to compare?         

We had a 'New member from Stawell',, Aaron who may help you if you still need, but I requested him same info but haven't heard back.
   I found a (?)B32/31 crashed in tank on ebay a while back and it almost fits but not enough and won't go into detail unless anyone's interested, save to say it's good for length, front mounts match, rear mounts under and could be adapted easy, but the A10 motor is about 20mm too tall-bugga! But it looks just like the Indian ones.

does any one have a good quality picture of a 1947 a7 rigid tank ?

thanks ,duTch

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia