Author Topic: SRM petrol taps  (Read 4775 times)

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
Re: SRM petrol taps
« Reply #15 on: 01.07. 2010 08:25 »
E, so far I have seen two different versions of the brass taps. One has a small spring on the back side to pull the taper into the housing, the other only has a spring washer instead. I've seen both versions ranging from approx. 10 to 30 Euros and always bought the most expensive ones, assuming they were manufactured more accurately.  *problem*

First I've had the ones with the spring washer, then tried the ones with the springs, hoping the spring might help, but both started leaking sooner or later.
My attempts of re-tightening and re-lapping haven't been very sucessful as well, actually made things even worse.

1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

www.histo-tech.at - Restoration, Repairs, Racing

Austria

Offline Goldseeker

• Winkleigh, Devon, UK
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #16 on: 01.07. 2010 20:14 »
Be gentle with me guys as I am a 'virgin' classic biker and not familiar with old english parts but wouldn't an 'O' ring groove each side of the cross hole cure this problem? It is possible to get 0.5mm cross section 'O' rings.

I am assuming that these brass taps are similar to a Gas tap, i.e. has a 90' cross hole, and a lathe would be required - but might work - ???
Col.

RGS Rep.
Triumph Rocket 111 Classic
BSA Rocket 3 Mk1

Offline zitman

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #17 on: 08.07. 2010 19:33 »
The chrome lever ones I had on the A7 started leaking big time earlier in the year.  I spent a happy half hour searching through a box full of old taps at a transport fair and bought two push - pull ones, fitted new corks and they are completely leak free.  £6 for two taps and £1 for two corks and they look the part and work great.

Z

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
« Reply #18 on: 09.07. 2010 16:29 »
Hello community!

Just to give you an update:
I've received my BAP taps from SRM this week and fitted two of them to the A7 today.
They came with a brass counter nut, which is not shown on the website photo, and don't have an undercut at the thread ends, like Alan mentioned it, so no problem when tightening them (using Loctite 572 on the thread).

The best thing is, they are absolutely leak-free and yet easy to operate. Am very happy so far.
They don't look too bad on the bike either, a bit modern maybe, but okay nevertheless.
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

www.histo-tech.at - Restoration, Repairs, Racing

Austria

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #19 on: 28.12. 2010 05:32 »
I use modern taps, they work well with petrol or methanol... But I'm not concerned about originality for fuel taps I just don't want leaks!
These ones came from a swimming pool, and water pump supplier locally!
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand