Author Topic: What temps will our engines run?  (Read 1459 times)

Offline snowbeard

• American Citizen in Lisbon, Portugal
  • A's Good Friend
What temps will our engines run?
« on: 31.08. 2007 17:29 »
so in cleaning up my A10 to see if it will run for me, I drained all the oil that had sumped into the crankcase (no wonder the tank was empty, thanks again to Dennis Osborn for saving my bacon a second time in as many weeks) 

When I removed the cover on the bottom of the engine to clean it out, I found that the brass screen was dislodged from it's "weld" most of the way around, only being still attached on one edge.  so I heated up the dish (after it was all clean) and let the existing solder in it try to reattach the screen.  I cut at the solder a bit to see if it was really hard, maybe silver solder, but I don't think it was... 

I did add just the slightest bit of 67% tin solder at the edges, and now I'm worried that the engine temp might be high enough to melt this weak solder?  any chance?
\1981 Suzi GS650
\1988 BMW K100LT in Lisbon!!

=

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
Re: What temps will our engines run?
« Reply #1 on: 31.08. 2007 20:26 »
No, I can't remember offhand the melting point of that alloy but the bottom of the crankcase won't be getting that hot.

Offline snowbeard

• American Citizen in Lisbon, Portugal
  • A's Good Friend
Re: What temps will our engines run?
« Reply #2 on: 01.09. 2007 02:48 »
great!  that means that I can also fix my ripped screen in the oil tank drain, altho I guess I knew that wouldn't get hot enough to melt solder.

thank you once again, I very much appreciate your responses!
\1981 Suzi GS650
\1988 BMW K100LT in Lisbon!!

=