Author Topic: spoke pattern  (Read 1704 times)

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
spoke pattern
« on: 01.07. 2010 18:09 »
 Guys,

There is an evil-bay seller hawking stainless rims in the US. The size is right, and 40 spokes. Problem comes down to what he describes as a 1x1 spoke pattern. I searched the forum, and cant find this as a reference.

Is 1x1 correct for an iron hub flash? What does "1x1" exactly mean?

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: spoke pattern
« Reply #1 on: 01.07. 2010 18:43 »
Lee,

I didn't search far enough or, even, look at my own wheels to understand the geometry properly (being at work and at lunch). However, here is a link that, I think, provides some reference information.

http://www.bikersworldonline.com/storefrontprofiles/DeluxeSFItemDetail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=102838&c=708404&i=153872236

edit:...and you could view a bunch more such lists at www.central-wheel.co.uk .

Richard L.

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 01.07. 2010 21:05 »
Hi Lee,

I'm not sure if I can explain this in writing but I'll have a go.

The cast iron full width hub came out in late 1957 for the '58 models.  Is this the one we are talking about??  Is so, if you look carefully at original rims the dimples for the drillings were positioned as 2 on the left side of the centre of the rim and then 2 on the right side of the centre of the rim when it was normal to have a dimple pattern of 1 alternating from on side to the other.  It seems like a peculiar set up and I don't know why it was done like this by BSA!!  This is probably what the guy means by a 1 x 1 spoke pattern.  I'm not sure if you can get new replacement rims made in a 2 x 2 pattern.  If you can I haven't seen any and I am sure somebody on this forum will let us know if they are available.

However, I've laced up these wheels with no problems when the rims were made as a 1 x 1 pattern but they need to be drilled at the correct angle for the spokes to line up with the holes in the hubs.
I tend to get 4 spokes and press them firmly into 4 successive holes in the rim when they will form their own pattern.  Then check the pattern with the holes in the hub and (providing the holes are drilled at the correct angle) this will determine which spoke goes to which hole.  Every 4th one is the same after that.

Hope this makes sense!!

Beezageezauk.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 01.07. 2010 21:28 »
I bought two chrome rims from CWC some time ago (possible ten years) and they are 2x2 as are the alloy rims I bought from Wildes maybe four years ago, both sets bought to fit BSA full width hubs.
I am certain they are laced correctly ( can't see how it could be done any other way) but the one thing I can't get is the spokes not to bend very slightly around each other where they meet, the stainless spokes I used are a wee bit heavier gauge than the original galvanised one though
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 01.07. 2010 21:37 »
Thanks for that Bill.

I used Stainless rims from CWC and they could only supply 1x1.  They were drilled perfectly and I didn't have a problem with the spoke intersections.  But it's good to learn that the correct ones are available in Chrome and Alloy.

Beezageezauk.

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 01.07. 2010 22:24 »
 Thank you guys,

Still a little confusion though. 2x2 is the correct spoke pattern I take it.

And I am guessing 1x1 will work. Is the look of this pattern pretty close to what it should be, or is this more of a "harley" looking pattern where all the spokes are evenly spaced and really shine in the sun? (if that makes sense...)

He has these for $195.00 a pair U.S., my big concern is I have never heard of him, his business, or anything else. I hate to shovel out more money on bad parts, the bad ones are much more common then good it seams. I can just see opening these to find "tin-foil" thickness material, 18.5 inches in diameter, and scratched to beat the band....

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 02.07. 2010 09:48 »
Yes Lee,

2x2 is the correct pattern and 1x1 will be ok but both will only work if the holes in the dimples have been drilled at the correct angle.

Try doing a check on the sellers feedback to see how satisfied his customers are and what his aftersales service is like!!

Beezageezauk.