Author Topic: Which Tank New Indian Made or Filled in Original  (Read 1795 times)

Offline Stu55Flash

• A's Good Friend
    • Flash Resto
I won this tank on fleebay and compared it to the original one. The new one is pretty good. Not quite the correct shape at the base. Both need a bit of paint, the original needs a silver painted panel and lined and the new one needs paint over except for the  panel and lined. What do you think? Which one should I use? Votes on a post card or here.

"Keep a distance from lady "L" drivers in cars. Some are not mechanically minded, are slow to acquire road sense, an are apt to panic..." The Pitman Book of the BSA Twins.
Golden Flash Plunger 1955, Francis Barnett Falcon 67 1954, Ferguson TEA Tractor 1951. Looking for another project!

Offline mikethebrush

• A's Good Friend
  • pre restoraton
Re: Which Tank New Indian Made or Filled in Original
« Reply #1 on: 02.07. 2010 22:23 »
I would use the original
1959 BSA A7 SHOOTING STAR

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 02.07. 2010 22:26 »
How you gona paint them when your using the brush to hold them up?

all things considered I might plump for the original but the original will probably take less hurt stored up then the Indian one ( one leg over each side of the fence you will note)
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline bonny

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 02.07. 2010 22:33 »
is that a blast cabinet on the bench behind the bike ? the painted one looks good to me , but its only an opinion.

Offline Stu55Flash

• A's Good Friend
    • Flash Resto
« Reply #4 on: 02.07. 2010 22:49 »
Yep thats a blast cabinet made from MDF and some leather welding gauntlets, exit filters are a couple of scouring pad sponges pilfered from the kitchen - as you do.

Works a treat
"Keep a distance from lady "L" drivers in cars. Some are not mechanically minded, are slow to acquire road sense, an are apt to panic..." The Pitman Book of the BSA Twins.
Golden Flash Plunger 1955, Francis Barnett Falcon 67 1954, Ferguson TEA Tractor 1951. Looking for another project!

Offline cus

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 02.07. 2010 23:39 »
G'day Stu,
I always think that tanks with painted silver sides are full of bog (bondo)
& it puts me off, I like to use the original stuff though. My opinion only,
but I would use the already chrome tank, once you've painted it & lined
the chrome sides, no one will know the diff. I have a 4 gal. tank thats
a spare, & has a few minor dents, I'm going to lead fill it for chroming.
I've heard its not easy, but I'll give it a go. Lead fill could be an option
for your other tank, depending on how deep the dents are.

regards, Cus
56 G/Flash project

Offline bonny

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 02.07. 2010 23:46 »
G'day Stu,
I always think that tanks with painted silver sides are full of bog (bondo)
& it puts me off, I like to use the original stuff though. My opinion only,
but I would use the already chrome tank, once you've painted it & lined
the chrome sides, no one will know the diff. I have a 4 gal. tank thats
a spare, & has a few minor dents, I'm going to lead fill it for chroming.
I've heard its not easy, but I'll give it a go. Lead fill could be an option
for your other tank, depending on hoe deep the dents are.

regards, Cus

if you can get the correct body solder thats meant for car body work it shouldn't be too bad , i was told by someone who used it a lot many years ago that it has a long pasty stage and this allows you to move it where you want it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3dNzH0GEng

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 03.07. 2010 01:00 »
Chrome and panelled anyday. That's why pommy bikes stand out amongst the dross( sorry to offend)but really any bike with even a dinged tank kills paint only.

Offline Stu55Flash

• A's Good Friend
    • Flash Resto
« Reply #8 on: 03.07. 2010 10:06 »
I did solder fill it in an attempt to get it chromed. In the end the issue was the rust pock marks not the filling. The plater tried to linish the rest of the tank but it just kept revealing more marks.

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 03.07. 2010 13:16 »
If the Indian made tank could be chromed I would use that. I may have mentioned that I've seen a couple of tanks with polished stainless panels stuck on instead of the chrome. You can tell it's not original but it looks fine. It would probably cost quite a bit to get a panel beater to make the panels though  :!

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #10 on: 03.07. 2010 14:29 »
The plater tried to linish the rest of the tank but it just kept revealing more marks.
If the plater is half way decent the imperfections should be over come by the copper layer. The copper should function as a filler. I just wish that I had a before photo of my tank. The rust and pitting were very severe, but looking at it now no one would ever believe the state that it was in before plating. Incidentally my tank was done 10 years ago and the chrome finish is as good now as when it was first done.

John

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #11 on: 03.07. 2010 21:20 »
I agree with Cus and Wilko,
Whilst I 'd never criticise someone for running their bike without the  chrome panels (Getting a tank chromed is hellishly expensive, and completely unneccessary if you just want to ride it. this is, after all a hobby...and its your bike)
The chrome tank does finish them off and really says "BSA".
I think you can get away with it a bit more on a plunger like yours as they didnt always have chrome tanks (or even rims and silencers), but on a swing arm bike...its like looking at a a triumph without the tank badges, theres something missing.
silver painted panels seem to just draw attention to the lack of chrome, and with a single colour the tank badge seems to be lost in a huge expanse of tank.
Cheers,
Iain

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 03.07. 2010 23:13 »
Stu,
          If you are on good terms with your plater, the best way is to get him to pickle the tank and copper plate it.
You then should have all of the rust off and have a receptive surface to wipe the metal on.
The down side is that when pickled, you may find a lot of holes where the tank is rusted through.
In my town there are two platers and one will not touch lead filling. The other does and has good results.
Trev.