Author Topic: SRM Clutch Pressure Plate  (Read 3878 times)

Offline Brucie64

• A's Good Friend
SRM Clutch Pressure Plate
« on: 03.07. 2010 16:48 »
To all the guys who have successfully fitted their SRM Pressure plates, the postman has just delivered my shiney new plate this morning.  *smiley4*

The thing is I am little unsure of how to fit it. It says that I need to measure how much the clutch push rod protrudes from the mainshaft (pic1). This statement comes immediately after been asked to remove the little oval inspection cover on the gearbox so I assume thats where I am to do my measuring.

However all I see in the oval inspection window is a pushrod adjustment nut and screw, how exactly am I to meaure how far the pushrod protrudes?
Bruce
Spitfire
UK

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: SRM Clutch Pressure Plate
« Reply #1 on: 03.07. 2010 17:00 »
Hi Bruce
If you disconnect your clutch cable at the gearbox end you can swing the arm around which might help you measure the rod, or/also you can screw the adjuster out (just slacken the lock nut enough to allow the screw to turnout so you will know where it needs to be when you put it back in )

Got to go - caterpillar attack I'm informed

Shout back if you need to

All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 03.07. 2010 22:05 »
Hi Bruce,
the protrusion they are on about is at the clutch side,!!

As instructed slacken off the cable adjuster,

Then!!!
Check the angle of the clutch arm, and the inner operating arm, they should be inline with each other as it were!!
clutch cable arm at right angle to cable and operating arm at right angle to pushrod
you can move the operating arm to suit as it is on a fine spline with a locknut and splitpin

The cable adjustment should be set so as the arm and cable are at right angles at half pull !!!!!

Set the lever in the released position (driving)
when this is done measure up at the clutch side and shorten the push rod to suit the SRM pusher,
do it a piece at a time so as you wont go too far , *sad2* *sad2* *sad2*
there is adjustment also on the pressure plate, so the pushrod  length is not so critical (within limits???)

HTH
John O R

1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Brucie64

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 04.07. 2010 17:25 »
Ok, thanks guys for the help, the SRM pressure plate is now in and fitted to my bike. The clutch is v.light and all the clunky gear changes seem to be a thing of the past. Still can't quite get the bike to select neutral though when its standing still with the engine running.  *sad2*
Bruce
Spitfire
UK

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Brucie64

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 06.07. 2010 09:34 »
OOPS,  *eek* After reading through my Haynes manual, I have just remembered that I didn't harden my clutch pushrod after cutting it to length to fit my SRM clutch mod at the weekend. The bike now has now been put back together and is running nicely.

I really don't fancy pulling it all apart again to do this.
If I leave it as is, is it going to cause me a big problem in the future with "shortening rod syndrome" (bearing in mind the clutch is now super light with the new pressure plate/slim bearing in place)?
Bruce
Spitfire
UK

Offline Brucie64

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 06.07. 2010 09:37 »
Ps. does anyone also know whether or not I should have greased the slimline bearing that came with the SRM mode kit?. It didn't say to in their instruction leaflet so I didn't. Now I am not so sure!
Bruce
Spitfire
UK

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #7 on: 06.07. 2010 10:43 »
G'day Bruce,
                     If you take the small cover off the gearbox and unscrew the adjuster right out you should be able to extract the pushrod to harden the ends.
The bearing will be lubed by the oil in the primary.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Brucie64

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 06.07. 2010 10:51 »
Hi Muskrat,

Yes I thought about that earlier on today, seems like a good idea, much better than taking the primary casing off again!
Bruce
Spitfire
UK

Offline BrianS

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #9 on: 30.07. 2019 15:57 »
G'day Bruce,
                     If you take the small cover off the gearbox and unscrew the adjuster right out you should be able to extract the pushrod to harden the ends.
The bearing will be lubed by the oil in the primary.
Cheers

Hi guys!
I really wish I had the small cover that would have allowed access to the adjuster - would have saved me loads of time! I looked at A10 covers on Google images and most are the same as mine with the access cover located above where you can adjust the clutch springs. Do your covers have this one as well as the centre cover?
Brian
1955 BSA A10 Golden Flash
Exeter, Devon, UK

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 30.07. 2019 17:46 »

BrianS  All primary covers have an oil filler/chain inspection hole.  Later S/A covers have the additional screw plug to access the clutch springs. This is not really the best way to adjust the clutch, the  primary cover really needs to come off and the springs adjusted so the clutch is observed to lift evenly and cleanly. Any drag will make finding neutral difficult at standstill.  Earlier covers use cutaways for oil level, later covers incorporate a stand pipe arrangement, as detailed in another recent post. As far as I know these are the only variations of standard primary cover you will find.

Swarfy.

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 30.07. 2019 18:18 »
My pushrod is cut in half with a ΒΌ" ball bearing in between them.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline BrianS

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #12 on: 30.07. 2019 19:25 »
Ah - I re-read Muskrat's post and he is saying take the rod out from the gearbox end - I should read more carefully - sorry guys  *sad2*
1955 BSA A10 Golden Flash
Exeter, Devon, UK

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 30.07. 2019 22:04 »

I think Brucie must have it sorted and been out riding for the last nine years since  *smile*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #14 on: 30.07. 2019 22:46 »
i think he went to the pub dutch *beer*