Author Topic: On bike tool kit....  (Read 2985 times)

Offline trickytree

• A's Good Friend
  • Lincolnshire, England
On bike tool kit....
« on: 03.07. 2010 22:39 »
...what do you guys carry on the bike? When building my A65 bobber I made the "mistake" of using UNF bolts for many of the cycle parts which now means I must carry both A/F and Imperial sizes.

What in your opinion are the important ones to carry?

Ceers, Paul.
1965 A65 Bobber
A10 Bitza project

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
Re: On bike tool kit....
« Reply #1 on: 03.07. 2010 23:43 »
G'Day Paul,

Difficult one to give any sort of exact answer, the way I try to look at it is rather than carry a heap of tools just in case try to work out the most likely thing on your bike that could need attention, usually magneto or carby, so........

Spare plugs and a plug spanner
Whatever you need to clean and adjust the points (piece of emery paper and ignition spanners and feeler gauge)
Ditto carby, enough tools to remove and dismantle the carby.
A couple of small shifters and a screwdriver.

You have to take into consideration how far you are going, if you are only riding locally then just the very basics is enough, if you are planning a trip away then more is needed such as being able to adjust the chain and change tyres etc.

Most important of all, MOBILE PHONE !

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 04.07. 2010 01:22 »
I usually throw in the kitchen sink as well!!

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 04.07. 2010 09:08 »
Zip ties and gaffer tape. Used the zip ties today when one screw in the rear light fell out. Spare fuse (used it too) Plug spanner & plugs ( used them too !!!). Got me home.
Cheers  *conf*
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Mosin

• Valued Contributor
  • Cumbria
« Reply #4 on: 04.07. 2010 11:36 »
Painful experience has taught me that regardless of how many panniers full of tools I carry with me, the thing that breaks will always be the thing that I haven't got the correct tool to fix...

This being the case, I tend to carry the absolute bare minimum aside from the two absolute essentials: mobile phone & RAC membership card!
1960 A7 Shooting Star
1959 D3 Bantam
1994 Triumph Trident 900

North West England

Offline mike667

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 04.07. 2010 15:01 »
i tend to travel lite -  but a few friends suggest i can skip 2 of the items and still be good 2 go!

Offline madsens

• A's Good Friend
  • 1962 A10 GF - Fyn, Denmark
« Reply #6 on: 04.07. 2010 15:13 »
I'll second Mosins small pack - a mobile phone and the Danish equal to RAC membership -
Unfortunately I can't use Mikes pack... would probably cost me 1 year behind bars, at least (not the cellphone and the sunlotion ;o) - Here in Denmark I can't even ride around with my Leatherman Wave in my pocket - that too is an arms violation !
BSA A10GF 1962
Denmark

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 04.07. 2010 20:59 »
Maybe the most important thing would be something hidden out side the tool box, maybe attached magneticly, that you use to open the tool box.

Richard L.

Offline shabashow

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 05.07. 2010 18:01 »
That's why you keep a coin in you pocket

Offline trickytree

• A's Good Friend
  • Lincolnshire, England
« Reply #9 on: 25.07. 2010 17:05 »
Sorry for forgeting about this.
Settled on a reversable screwdriver, small adjustable spanner and a selection of nuts, bolts, cable ties and gaffer tape all wrapped up in a bit of rag.
Had my first breakdown today, coming home from Newark autojumble the bike suddenly just stopped...no spluttering just stopped firing. Pretty quickly traced the problem to a blown fuse (Boyer has its own supply) but guess what I didnt pack in the tool roll....spare fuses!! Nicked one from the lighting circuit and off we went...good job it was daylight!
1965 A65 Bobber
A10 Bitza project

Offline shabashow

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #10 on: 25.07. 2010 17:45 »
I'll be including a spare clutch and front brake cable from now on.
Had to rely on my breakdown service yesterday (oh! the shame of it!) when my nipple seperated from the clutch cable at Lochgilphead, on the west coast of Scotland, about 100 miles from home.
Breakdown guys were there within an hour, and they were soon rummaging around their odds and sods boxes at the garage. Eventually found a solderless nipple off a throttle cable from an old car carburator. Five minutes later it was fitted onto the shredded end of the cable and served me well on the long road home.

Offline trickytree

• A's Good Friend
  • Lincolnshire, England
« Reply #11 on: 25.07. 2010 17:53 »
Aye, if most of us wernt so vain we would just tape a spare of each to the existing cables like I did with every single dirt bike I owned. You dont have to find somewhere to store them and there ready to use straight away.
1965 A65 Bobber
A10 Bitza project

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #12 on: 26.07. 2010 13:00 »
Aye, if most of us wernt so vain we would just tape a spare of each to the existing cables like I did with every single dirt bike I owned. You dont have to find somewhere to store them and there ready to use straight away.
But if you make your cables with a floating drum on the handle bar end and lubricate it with "Tri-Flow" you can forget spare cables you will never need them.
As for tools, it depends upon how much fettleing you are prepared to do on the side of the road.
A ring for each size on the bike is a good idea, plug spanner + plugs , magneto spanner & magneto pinion remover are
 a must, a small screwdriver for the carb , two 6" vice grips ( one pointed nose one stub nose ) these can also be used to replace levers in a pinch. I take some impact driver screwdriver heads in sizes for all of the other screw heads and a small ring to turn them with.
The whole lot fits nicely inside a plastic "Kanebo" chamois case with the exception of the duct tape.These tools are the kit for the bike & they stay there so I have about 5 different kits for each bike and seperate tools that I use at home ( full set of rings, off set rings & scokets )
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline JohnH

• Moving Up
  • 1959 Golden Flash swingarm
« Reply #13 on: 26.07. 2010 13:17 »
OK Trevor - can you explain for me what you mean by making cables with a floating drum on the handlebar end. And what is "Tri-Flow" please?

I like the sound of your toolkit .... but don't you carry a chain rivet extractor and acouple of spare split links and maybe a 1.5 link for each chain?

John
Triumph Bonneville - long gone (sadly)
AJS 16MS - keeps coming back (thank goodness)
BSA B31 - also long gone
Greeves 250 twin (good fun)
Francis Barnett 197 (first bike)

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #14 on: 27.07. 2010 11:35 »
As for the cables, go into a shop that sells "universal" replacement cables and you will see what I mean.
The drum is not soldered onto the cable but has a countersunk hole in it.
Put the drum on the cable then you solder a "pear" nipple onto the cable.
The drum rotates freely on the pear nipple.
Clutch & brake cables fail from torsional fatigue as they try to rotate when you stretch them but the drum prevents this happening. In theory the rotation happens at the ball end which is why the other end always has a ball on it and should be lubed ( but never is )
Tri-Flow is a lubricant used by push bike owners to lubricate the gear change cables & mechanisms. It is as dear as poison ( see my rant on the stainless thread)  but works perfectly, dose not pick up crud or attack cable covers and is really really slippery.
If you have already lubed your cables then wash them out with kerro ( parrafin to some) first.

As for drive chains, they get boiled so never fail as they are lubricated properly and rotated . I do carry a spare con link ( well usually) as they can pop off, but that is not a tool. Also in the kit is a timing stick and a .002" feeler blade.
Bike Beesa
Trevor