Author Topic: Gearbox Rebuild - Bearing Fit  (Read 2670 times)

Offline brackenfel

• Valued Contributor
  • Adrian - Bristol UK
Gearbox Rebuild - Bearing Fit
« on: 07.07. 2010 14:37 »
Sorry to be monopolising the Forum a bit at present but at least it proves I'm working on the A10!!

I'm re-assembling the gearbox but the "small gearbox bearing 67-4217" is proving troublesome in that the mainshaft will not slide through it. I have 2 mainshafts (one spare) & both have the same problem so it's not the shaft. I'm not sure whether the manufacturing tolerance an issue here but the bearing came from a good supplier (C&D Autos). I can get the shaft about 1/4" in either side by hand & "waggling" but that's it.

I'm faced with the choice of either drifting the shaft through the bearing in the inner case and then fitting the whole thing as a unit into the gearbox body or fitting the shaft & forcing the inner casing on - neither very appealing..

Do I need to just be brutal & get on with it? Has anyone else had similar problems or have I got a duff bearing?

Thanks,

Adrian
Good Advice
No reactions
1961 A10 650 Golden Flash - Blue
1954 BSA B33
Velocette Viper
Laverda 750 SF1
Kawasaki W650
Buell XB9S
Ariel 350NH & Matchless G3LS in bits...

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
Re: Gearbox Rebuild - Bearing Fit
« Reply #1 on: 07.07. 2010 19:33 »
If its only tight by a micron or two, [small], stick the shaft in her freezer for a couple of hours then push into the bearing. the case can be warmed in her oven so the bearing goes in more easily.. It makes all the difference.
Good Advice
No reactions
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
1974 Kawasaki Z1a
Yam XJR 1300

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 07.07. 2010 19:49 »
Just a personal preference for me is a snug (good old fashioned expression) fit rather than a tight interference. This helps assembling the gears, shafts and selectors before fitting the end cover with a touch of gentle rubber mallet persuasion on the cover while holding the selector in the correct position with the dots in line. A very light rub with a fine emery cloth will do the trick, measuring the shaft diameter so that you don't overdo it, we don't want a lose fit.
Alan
Good Advice
No reactions
Member of the 'Last of the Summer Wine Club - Jennycliff'.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 07.07. 2010 20:24 »
G'day Adrian,
                     both mine are a snug fit, and as Alan said, a bit of gentle persuasion with a hide mallet to get the cover home and slide hammer over the nut to draw the shaft home.
Cheers
Good Advice
No reactions
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline brackenfel

• Valued Contributor
  • Adrian - Bristol UK
« Reply #4 on: 08.07. 2010 08:53 »
Many thanks all..

I now know which way to go & will try the freezer approach as I can't find my emery cloth at present!! Now where did I put those gaskets.. *smile*

Cheers,
Adrian
Good Advice
No reactions
1961 A10 650 Golden Flash - Blue
1954 BSA B33
Velocette Viper
Laverda 750 SF1
Kawasaki W650
Buell XB9S
Ariel 350NH & Matchless G3LS in bits...