Author Topic: External Oil filter position  (Read 5835 times)

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
External Oil filter position
« on: 09.07. 2010 21:51 »
Hi All,
I wanted to fit an external filter to the SR on the bench, I had fitted some previously into the tool box
The bikes owner was anxious to retain the space in the toolbox (has he no faith in me ????)
so I came up with the position in the photos.
I sandwiched a piece of 3mm thick SS plate between the frame and the toolbox using the tool box mounting studs
and mounted the filter head to this!

Cheers
John O R

1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: External Oil filter position
« Reply #1 on: 09.07. 2010 22:14 »
That's neat John
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #2 on: 09.07. 2010 23:31 »

And here is how I fitted a filter to my bike. It uses the standard BSA Rocket 3/Triumph Trident filter cartridge.

John

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 23.05. 2014 15:47 »
This topic looks like the appropriate place to post this.

A couple of years ago I bought an oil filter adaptor online from J&P Cycles, a large parts seller for all kinds of motorcycles, but not really vintage British. Vintage Harley, yes. Anyway, when it arrived, I thought it was much too large and there was no way I could or would fit it to the bike.

Now, on the verge of completing engine repairs, I wanted to run with a filter right from the start. Back when I bought the large adaptor, J&P was very gracious about taking it back for total credit, but now, a restocking charge and more shipping cost. I'm feeling cheap right now, so I decided to take another look. The photos show what I came up with. If I decide I don't like it, it will be easy enough to remove, leaving no trace. It is held in place with a bespoke bracket under one cylinder base nut (for now).

Oh, the install needs to be cleaned up and, no, I'm not going to try to run without a feed pipe.

Richard L.

Offline Derby Rob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 23.05. 2014 21:26 »
hi all,
       i like the idea of an external oil filter with these modern oils,any idea who sells the kits/parts in the uk,although i dont want to fit it in the tool box.
cheers rob
61 BSA A7,yamaha rd500 ,suzuki ts250er,suzuki x7,1958 francis barnett cruiser 80

Offline Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #5 on: 24.05. 2014 00:18 »
Hmmm, this is turning into a "you show me yours and I'll show you mine" thing.

Here's mine, I used a Rocket 3 type like John has but mines under the ski slope.

I also fitted a DVR2 under the seat and removed the mounting brackets in the toolbox that hold the original regulater, gives me quite a lot of room in the toolbox.

The second pic is how I mounted the filter to my "bitsa" plunger A10, same filter but I wasnt concerned about hiding that one.

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 24.05. 2014 07:19 »
Filter in the tool box for me. IMHO external filters spoil the look of the bike, sorry chaps.
Once you get shot of the old relay type voltage regulator from the tool box and replace it with a small modern one you have oodles of room in the tool box. I carry loads of tools in mine even though I also have a fuse box in there as well. I've only needed the tools once though in 4 years and that was to tighten up a mirror.
Member of the 'Last of the Summer Wine Club - Jennycliff'.

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 24.05. 2014 09:54 »
I agree with Alan (but also admire the external filter arrangements shown in this post).
Richard

I would much rather keep it hidden (as the actress said to the bishop)

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 24.05. 2014 11:24 »
Hi Richard,  wondering what size those connectors are in pic 2, I'm rewiring the RGF (which was done in a rush) and want smaller connectors than the standard ones (6mm I think the standard ones are).
Yes I also like the metal piped in filters - neater- but think it would be better still with slightly smaller bore pipe if it can be had
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 24.05. 2014 12:03 »
Hi Bill,
The fittings are Swagelock (stainless steel). 1/4"BSPT - 8mm tube 90 degree adaptors. I can dig up the part no if you need it. They aren't cheap. You could do it more cheaply with brass versions (which Swagelock also offer). I like / enjoy the quality of the SS Swagelock product.

The tubing is 8mm OD (approx 6mm ID) stainless steel. I wouldn't consider going to smaller (OD) tubing.

Note that Swagelock 8mm tubing bulkhead fittings are mounted in the rear wall of the toolbox. The 1/4" BSP female swivel fitting on the standard A10 oil hose(s) screw straight on the bulkhead, so I just re-machine the internal seat to a 45 degree taper and yippee; no leakee!

I use the standard oil hose set, PLUS an additional one which is shortened, then added to the one returning oil  from the engine, into the toolbox filter. To join the two bits of this hose, just machine up a 5/16"double barbed joiner. You can also source off - the - shelf brass ones from the likes of Ryco, or Enzed.

You could then tighten a worm drive clamp over each side; I machine up compact shells out of aluminium, and crimp one over each half of the barb.

One of the two standard hoses is used from the filter, back to the oil tank.

Richard

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 24.05. 2014 12:40 »
Cheers Richard - copied and saved
All the best - Bill

Offline Stephen Foster

• Resident Legend
« Reply #11 on: 24.05. 2014 13:59 »
I have to admit ..the way You have managed to fit those filters out of sight like that is brilliant !
Wish I had a fraction of the talent of some of the members of this forum .
I own a 1955/56 B.S.A Swinging Arm "Golden Flash" , had it since 1976 .

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 24.05. 2014 22:08 »
As I recall, Richard (Orabanda) fabricated his own filter adaptors. Very nice, indeed. The internal approach is notably better looking, but I spent about 1-1/2 hours (not including trips to the store) on the install and no .room is taken up in the tool box. On the othe hand, the bike is yet to run on this build.

Richard L.

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 25.05. 2014 19:42 »
I bought a Norton 850 oil filter head and filter from Ebay intending to fit it in the toolbox of my plunger frame GF as others have done. However, the assembly was too wide to fit in the toolbox so I have mounted the filter on the rear mudguard behind the gearbox using nylock nuts.
Both parts are dull black so fairly inconspicious.
When mounted the filter head union stubs point towards the chain.
I've used Goodyear 8mm/5/16" ID reinforced rubber pipe to do the plumbing.
The oil feed pipe from oil tank to pump union pipes is as original.
The return from the pump is carried over the top of the gearbox, down between the vertical frame tube and the gearbox  then gently curves around to meet the filter inlet stub.
The filter outlet pipe is routed tightly underneath the gearbox and then up behind the pump union assembly so it appears adjacent to the original metal pipes. It lines up nicely with the rocker feed banjo and oil tank connector.
Finished off with proper hose clamps it looks neat and not too obtrusive.

Here is a link to some photos of the set up.

http://tinyurl.com/cqbbnj7

Neil Ives UK
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Stephen Foster

• Resident Legend
« Reply #14 on: 25.05. 2014 20:37 »
Are these inline filters a big help preventing engine wear ?
I change the oil every 1000 miles at the moment , would this still be necessary with the filter in place ?

I doubt I would have the skill to fit one unfortunately .
I own a 1955/56 B.S.A Swinging Arm "Golden Flash" , had it since 1976 .