Author Topic: Fork gaitor Clips  (Read 1149 times)

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
Fork gaitor Clips
« on: 15.07. 2010 15:21 »
Just bought a set of stainless steel clips. The type with the turn buckle. I have three questions:

1) How and which way round do you feed the band through the clip.

2) In which direction do you tighten the hexagon and what function does the screw driver slot on the
    opposite end of the shaft from the hexagon serve

3) How do cut off any excess stainless strip neatly? It is relatively hard material.

I have looked at the clips and it is not readily apparent to me what the fitting procedure is. The problem here is that because the strip is quite stiff if I do not get it right then there will be unsightly kinks that will be difficult (if not impossible) to eradicate. I know that this should all be pretty obvious, but it isn't to me. I cut the old ones off and disposed of them some while ago. Why do we do that?

John

Offline cus

• Valued Contributor
Re: Fork gaitor Clips
« Reply #1 on: 15.07. 2010 23:05 »
G'day John,
Not exactly sure what type of clips you have, but the common ones available here in Aust. are purchased with the band already fed into the clip,
& you can unwind the buckle a/c until the spiral drive backs it out, then wrap it around the gaiter rebate & feed it back to the drive & turn clockwise.
There are heaps of differrent sizes, so I normally get ones that don't need to be cut when tightened, but I have cut them with side cutters before, just
cut either side of one of the perferations, then snip the sharp corners off. My oil seal holders have permanent rings for the base of the gaiters, so I only
need the turn buckles on the top. We are probably talking about 2 completely different buckles, but anyway, hope this helps,

Cus
56 G/Flash project

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #2 on: 15.07. 2010 23:50 »
Cus

Thank you for your response. I found this image on on the net which looks more or less like the clips that I have bought.

John

Offline cus

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 16.07. 2010 00:06 »
G'day John,
Thought we were talking about different clips, here is a pic. of mine,
there at almost every petrol station & auto shop. I haven't used the
type you have, are they the original type clip?

Cus
56 G/Flash project

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #4 on: 16.07. 2010 00:57 »
Cus,
As far as I am aware, yes these are the original type clips. I got them from C&D Autos. Well, let me qualify that statement, they are reproduction clips. The main difference being that these are stainless steel whereas the originals were much softer. Aluminium maybe. As I said I should have taken more care removing the original clips, and retained them for reference. Here is another image that I found showing the clips fitted.

John