Author Topic: Is this the correct Oil Throw Direction  (Read 1878 times)

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
Is this the correct Oil Throw Direction
« on: 18.07. 2010 16:48 »
Team

I've been having problems with leaks from the back of the clutch, needed some gearbox work doing so stripped it out. I checked the direction of the oil throw on my 4 spring clutch adapter and it seems to be throwing oil out, not back in.  *conf*

I know its a dumb question, but to be sure in my mind, can anyone confirm that this one is correct? I think it is as the thread is winding back towards the clutch, I've just bought one the same for £35 at the VMCC founders day.

Cheers.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-IN-4-SPRING-CLUTCH-HUB-BSA-A7-A10-B3-ENGLISH-/140294031814?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item20aa2d09c6
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
Re: Is this the correct Oil Throw Direction
« Reply #1 on: 18.07. 2010 16:55 »
That's the correct one. As you said, it's winding back towards the clutch when rotating CCW (seen from the clutch side), thus keeping the oil inside.
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

www.histo-tech.at - Restoration, Repairs, Racing

Austria

Offline Pete Gray

• A's Good Friend
    • Scuppered Folk Band
« Reply #2 on: 19.07. 2010 14:05 »
Team

I've been having problems with leaks from the back of the clutch, needed some gearbox work doing so stripped it out. I checked the direction of the oil throw on my 4 spring clutch adapter and it seems to be throwing oil out, not back in.  *conf*

I know its a dumb question, but to be sure in my mind, can anyone confirm that this one is correct? I think it is as the thread is winding back towards the clutch, I've just bought one the same for £35 at the VMCC founders day.

This is my ongoing nightmare, another thread on here described the LH/RH oil throw situation.
Mine kicks oil out all over the silencer and is a real visual spoiler for what otherwise is a nice relatively oil tight machine. Your posting doesn't make it clear whether you found the one fitted to be the wrong thread or if it's just, as I had assumed, something that doesn't really work.
I would have to strip the primary down to check mine but am not wanting to waste my time if it doesn't prove to be the wrong hand throw and doesn't answer the problem.

Pete

1961 Swinging arm A7
2000 BMW R1100R

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 19.07. 2010 23:03 »
Pete,
           As well as the correct direction oil scroll, the sliding plate insert has to be a nice close fit.
Trev.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 20.07. 2010 09:24 »
As Trev mentioned the sliding plate I recall my first restoration had ordinary bolts in the sliding plate with nyloc nuts , the proper bolts are shouldered to allow the plate to slide, you probably know this but just in case I thought I'd mention it
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 20.07. 2010 10:51 »
Pete

My original adapter which gave me the oil leak problems has the opposite direction scroll to the one on the fleabay link above. [I posted the link to save the bother of doing my own photos].  *smile*

Actually, the new [correct] one is the third for this machine. The one which was on it when I bought it was machined wrong and pinched the rollers and clutch drum when the center nut was tightened, a known fault from a dodgy batch. The second one which was from Vale Onslows, has the oil scroll running backwards, so there are two known faults for these adapters.

When buying a new one, I would reccomend fitting the clutch drum over the adapter on the bench without rollers and just put the cast iron center in place to make sure its not from the batch that bind up, although most of them have been thown by now I would guess.

BTW, mine didnt have those shouldered bolts, it had ordinary bolts with big washers which went right through the front part or the rear chain guard. On assembly, does the front part of the rear chainguard bolt up to the inner primary cover before the inner primary cover is fitted?
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Yam XJR 1300

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #6 on: 20.07. 2010 10:53 »
And the sliding plate dose wear and once worn too much or too oval it ain't going to do its job.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline Pete Gray

• A's Good Friend
    • Scuppered Folk Band
« Reply #7 on: 20.07. 2010 15:17 »
Thanks for that, all good info. The sliding plate is in good order with the correct shouldered bolts fitted. I assume the throw must be wrong but will wait until winter to take it down.
Mybe after then I will be able to arrive somewhere on the bike - without having to stop a mile away and wipe the silencer clean.

Pete

1961 Swinging arm A7
2000 BMW R1100R

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 20.07. 2010 19:24 »
Jeez Pete, with the oil mess you tell us about, don't hang on 'til winter, pull the clutch off and look at what hand spiral you have and the condition of the central hole in the oil seal plate and the felt seal at its rear. It's just a couple of hours job and could save you from this oil mess which is not normal. Something is not right in there.
Alan
Member of the 'Last of the Summer Wine Club - Jennycliff'.

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 20.07. 2010 22:51 »
Andy,
              The front section must be fitted before the inner chaincase is fitted. If not, you won't fit it!
  Trev.

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
« Reply #10 on: 21.07. 2010 00:12 »
Have you tried running the primary with less oil? Usually all that's required is enough to just dip onto the bottom of the chain and not the recommended level. Same applies to most English bikes. Works for me!

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 26.07. 2010 12:44 »
Mine dumped all the oil out on a long run and cooked the primary chain!  *eek*

BTW, I put my newly overhauled gearbox back in yesterday complete with the correct clutch adapter and its now completely oil [ATF] tight..  *smile*
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Yam XJR 1300

Offline rockthedog

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #12 on: 12.03. 2012 21:31 »
Have you tried running the primary with less oil? Usually all that's required is enough to just dip onto the bottom of the chain and not the recommended level. Same applies to most English bikes. Works for me!
yip works for me to, 8 fluid oz is far to much, i just add atf till it is just at the bottom of the chain,on a 50 mile run i may get a very light drip the size of a ten pence cheers