Author Topic: stainless steel wheel rims  (Read 7494 times)

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: stainless steel wheel rims
« Reply #45 on: 10.07. 2019 21:10 »
Over the years I have bought steel, alloy and, latterly, stainless rims from various sources. Not impressed with CWC quality I have to say. Couple of years ago I bought a pair of stainless rims and the join was rubbish. Even with some spokes singing tight and others just off loose (which distorts drums) I couldn’t get them anywhere round. Still ¼ inch out at the weld (more pear-shaped than round). Usually in such cases I take the rim off again and do some panel beating to improve things, but one was so bad I sent it back. Don’t ever recall getting a refund. And had the same problem with them prior to that. Their general attitude leaves a bit to be desired as well. Having said that, I had a pair of stainless rims off them more recently that were OK, as were a couple of alloy rims I had this year. But my niggle with both them and Devon are their prices. If their prices truly reflect manufacturing costs plus a reasonable profit, then they need to look at their production methods rather than making snide comments about ‘cheap foreign rubbish’. That’s what BSA and all the others did when faced with Japanese bikes and look where it got them.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #46 on: 11.07. 2019 01:32 »
 How much money do you save buying cwc rims compared to Devon?

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline Slymo

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #47 on: 11.07. 2019 04:17 »
The good thing with stainless of course is that if you do get a nipple hole slightly askew a couple of strokes with a round file gets it sorted and no problem with compromised chrome.
NZ

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #48 on: 11.07. 2019 20:53 »
Coater - I think you'll find the prices are virtually the same.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #49 on: 12.07. 2019 10:05 »

When I needed them (~7-8 years ago) there was a significant price difference
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #50 on: 12.07. 2019 17:21 »

When I needed them (~7-8 years ago) there was a significant price difference

Me too. I did a real quick look and now they offer a "valu-tru" line for the BSA crowd, I suppose to compete with CWD rims.  *dunno*

The roll tru series is really nice, not these horrors stories about the weld seam you hear about on other rims.

Lee

Central Wisconsin in the U.S.