Author Topic: stainless steel wheel rims  (Read 7472 times)

Offline gold33

• A's Good Friend
Re: stainless steel wheel rims
« Reply #15 on: 26.07. 2010 14:34 »
Note to Musky,

Don't  shod the cafe with horse shoes or wagon wheels, they might last longer but the're no good at cornering.  *smile*
Darren
'52 Plunger

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #16 on: 26.07. 2010 16:39 »
People who buy this rubbish are making it more difficult to get good stuff.

While I fully endorse that sentiment, paying top dollar in my experience is not a cast iron guarantee that you will get premium quality goods. There is plenty of expensive tat on sale at premium prices.

John

Offline bonny

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #17 on: 26.07. 2010 17:43 »

While I fully endorse that sentiment, paying top dollar in my experience is not a cast iron guarantee that you will get premium quality goods. There is plenty of expensive tat on sale at premium prices.

John

i would have to agree with you john , its getting the happy medium of good value thats the hard part , hence my original post , both central wheel and leigh classics state that the rims they sell are british made , just wondering if any one here have used them , if the rims are rubbish then i wouldn't touch them , on the other hand if these companies are feeling the pinch and have simply dropped the prices of their products to get business in the door then i certainly would use them.

Offline iansoady

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #18 on: 27.07. 2010 10:17 »
I've just ordered a few bits on ebay from Leigh Classics and depending on the quality may well go for a set of the rims as well. I've had some absolute rubbish components which have been produced in the UK.

Whilst I accept what people are saying about low cost imports, we should remember that BSA started as an association of small gunmakers in our fair city in the 19th century - and the way most of the Birmingham companies made their money was by exporting poor quality mass produced products to the rest of the world. The old Science Museum in Newhall Street (now sadly closed) had some excellent examples.

As people say, what goes around comes around......
Ian.
1962 Golden Flash (arrived)
1955 Velo Viper/Venom (departed)
2004 Triumph Tiger 955i (staying)

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #19 on: 27.07. 2010 11:12 »
I would pose this to all .
When you ring up looking for parts, do you ask the suppliers for the best quality that they have or just ask the price ?
When we had a real Pommie bike shop in Sydney ( pop > 4,000,000 ) the owner, Max knew that I would not buy rubbish.
When I asked him if he has a part the answer oft was "yes but you won't want them", do you want me to order some better ones for you ?.
Unfortunatly my answer ( and many others I suspect ) was no all too often and now he has gone.
There are a lot more Pommie bikes in Sydney than Harleys but there are 19 shops that sell new bikes, 22 others that sell used ones and another 32  that sell aftermarket parts for Harleys and no shops that sell new Pommie parts ( although a couple will order them in if you want ).
So what dose that tell you about the relative ethics of the two different bike owners ?
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #20 on: 27.07. 2010 15:40 »
My point was that driving prices down will drive quality down with it.

both central wheel and leigh classics state that the rims they sell are british made , just wondering if any one here have used them

Yes, as I said in my post just before yours, I had two z1 wheels relaced at Central Wheel with new British Chrome rims and 6 years later and still like new.
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline bonny

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #21 on: 27.07. 2010 16:07 »
My point was that driving prices down will drive quality down with it.

both central wheel and leigh classics state that the rims they sell are british made , just wondering if any one here have used them

Yes, as I said in my post just before yours, I had two z1 wheels relaced at Central Wheel with new British Chrome rims and 6 years later as still like new.

sorry my fault , i meant used the rims , i have used central wheel before myself , i had the wheels for the 500 triumph i have rebuilt with stainless rims and spokes by them , the components seemed fine , if they are the same as their advertising for 80 quid then i certainly would use them again. 

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 27.07. 2010 16:39 »
As I said, the new British Chrome rims supplied by CWC are still like new after 6 years
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Yam XJR 1300

Offline bl**dydrivers

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #23 on: 08.06. 2011 22:52 »
Im very happy someone has asked this and Im not the only person out there whos thought about it, people have already replied with great answers and the reasons why the prices are on the cheap side.

Devon Rim Company, does some great rims and happy theyre made in UK. Just wouldnt get them as the Devon Rim Company other than Made In England stamp has some part number or serial on them as well as Trade Devon Mark stamped big on them.

Central Wheel Components Stainless arent even made in UK

SRM on the other hand, Stainless are made in UK and have Made In England stamp, but want to look into it more if they have anything else stamped on them like Devon has.

Anyone got any pics of the SRM Stainless rims?

Thanks in advance

Offline rocket man

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #24 on: 08.06. 2011 23:11 »
to bsa -54a10  i dont like what you put one your comment Harley riders can find parts that are expensive enough to put on their monstrosities i ride a harley davidson as well as a bsa a10 we shouldn't slag people off about what they ride there all motorcycles 

Dave   

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #25 on: 09.06. 2011 14:38 »
Sorry if it offends. It was not meant to be offensive. Simply an observation of different attitudes towards motorcycles. And I stand by it.
I have been riding for better than 40 years and I do ride with some who prefer to ride tractors.
In all those years I have never heard one of them whine about how expensive their parts were.
OTOH my phone number is on the Club's web page so I get a lot of the general enquiries , particularly for parts.
At least once every week I get a call , tell the person who has those parts then get a reply along the lines of "I already got a quote from xxxx but he is too expensive some one has to have cheaper ones "

Now on another tack, And I do try not to be political, however;-
In a free world we should all be free to express our opinions.
If some one thinks that a particular type or brand of motorcycle is hideous then they should be allowed to say so.
If you disagree then you are also free to express your disagreement.
This is the difference between living in a free country and a fascist regime.
There are hundreds of motorcycles that I neither like nor approve of and for that matter a fair few motorcycle associations / clubs / gangs that are in the same boat. If some one else thinks that one of these is God's gift then that is their opinion. And if one of these misguided souls seeks my help I normally offer it. I have signed more petitions for stuff that I would not be caught dead doing that I care to remember. Right now I am organizing a response against council regulations restricting the riding of dirt bikes on private property on behalf of a junior rice burners club despite I find twerps endlessly riding round & round a block all day on one of the 2 stroke terrors extremely aggravating and believe there should be some reasonable restrictions.
To quote Frank
Do what you want to
Do what you will
Just don't mess up your neighbour's thrill
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #26 on: 09.06. 2011 16:42 »
Right now I am organizing a response against council regulations restricting the riding of dirt bikes on private property

Forgive me Trevor but just how in a free world does the owner of private property not have the right to decide they don't want dirt bikes on that property other than rights of way which were about two legs not wheels.

[quote]Do what you want to
Do what you will
Just don't mess up your neighbour's thrill
[/quote] or land maybe
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #27 on: 09.06. 2011 22:24 »
Bill,
      I think that you will find that the owner of the property is happy to allow the bikes but the interfering council, of which we have too many in Australia, has decided, in their collective wisdom, that the bikes may annoy someone or already has.
It is probably better to stop the kids and let them get on with their graffiti and general vandalism.

Trev.

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #28 on: 10.06. 2011 06:22 »
Yes Trev has got it in one.
Councils are moving legislation to prevent YOU riding YOUR OWN motorcycle on YOUR OWN property ans / or any one else that is there with your blessings.
This is not the place for it but if you are interested you can get the story from them <kyogledirtbikeclub@hotmail.com>
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #29 on: 10.06. 2011 09:23 »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While paying top dollar is not a cast iron guarantee that you will get top quality goods, paying absolute bottom dollar is a guarantee that you will get junk.

BTW, The flip side of the council / dirt bike story would seem to be that anyone could by a plot of land at the side of your house and use it for anything without restriction, whether it's noisy dirt bikes, a 24 hour a day mobile disco or any such annoyance. That just can't be right.

In the UK, the owner of the land would have to apply to the local council for "planning permission" to carry out such activities and as part of that process the council would consult the local residents and consider their objections. If valid, permission would be [quite rightly] declined. It's no use complaining about restrictions on the freedom of the individual to do anything they want no matter how annoying, the right to peaceful existence of the many has to take precedence.
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Yam XJR 1300