Author Topic: swing arm bushes  (Read 2317 times)

Offline pbaker

• Moving Up
swing arm bushes
« on: 24.07. 2010 00:00 »
Help needed please

How do I fit new bushes to a recently painted bare swingarm with basic workshop tools?

Or does anyone know where I can take the arm and bushes to in the midlands uk to be done?

thanks
Peter

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: swing arm bushes
« Reply #1 on: 24.07. 2010 15:20 »
lots of various methods will be forthcoming
My method will require Drill, hacksaw, hammer, long punch,pliers/grips and length of threaded rod various washers and two nuts to fit threaded rod

Drill out as much rubber as possible between the outer and inner metal sleeves of bushes.
Drive out inner sleeves with hammer and long punch
take blade out of hacksaw place in centre of swinging arm and fix blade back onto hacksaw
Saw through the outer sleeves of bushes in one or if you can two places.
with hammer and punch collapse the outer sleeves into the centre of the swinging arm and remove ( punch or pliers/grips)
use the threaded rod to draw in the new bushes, you will need washers of the right size to draw on the outer sleeves of the bushes, do not put pressure on the inner sleeves of the new bushes ( the inner sleeves will protrude from the swinging arm a little on each side when finished )

Take your time - have several breaks for coffee - Good luck
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 24.07. 2010 16:35 »
I would just add to what BSA Bill says that you will need quite a heafty piece of threaded rod 12mm or 1/2inch diameter. All the best with it.
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline pbaker

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 24.07. 2010 18:16 »
 Thanks for the advice fellas

It`s much as I thought. a week in the gym preparing for this I think

and a few beers after

Peter

Offline 1660bob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 25.07. 2010 07:38 »
Careful with that hacksaw.....The bore of the swingarm pivot is not continuous-it is bored seperately from both sides leaving a raised portion in the middle (at least it is on mine, a `61 A10SR) If you thread a hacksaw blade through as described above you will be risking sawing through your swingarm as well as the bushes!!!!!!! *eek*

I removed mine by drilling the rubber through with a 29-30mm deep holesaw and tack welded a piece of steel strip edgeways on to the inside of the bush (being careful not to burn through the bush and weld it in!!) I then used the  steel strip to collapse the bush inwards and get a soft brass bar down the back as a sort of chisel and slowly collapse /cut the bushes out.Hard work, but no damage to swingarm so worth it.Good Luck, Bob.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 25.07. 2010 09:38 »
fair point Bob, I'm assuming Peter would stop sawing when he got most way through the bush sleeve, it just takes enough to allow the sleeve to collapse in on itself, a saw cut through the centre raised bit wont do any harm, it's just there to hold the bushes in the right bit
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 25.07. 2010 12:17 »
Peter,

Being a bit new around here, you weren't around for the previous posts on this topic. Here are two links to long discussions on this very matter, coviering removal an installation. When it comes to fitting in the new bushings, the word that always comes to mind for me is "grueling." But, then again, there is the issue of reported oversized bushings making a tough job monumental.

I don't recall reading what year your bike is, so, keep in mind that there are two different spindle diameters, one solid and one hollow. The latter for full-width rear drum brakes. 

I hope you will find the reading at these links helpful and, maybe, amusing.

http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php/topic,1185.0.html
http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php/topic,2486.msg16047.html#msg16047

Richard L.

Offline pbaker

• Moving Up
« Reply #7 on: 25.07. 2010 21:49 »
Richard
Thanks for the links.  The swingarm is stripped bare and has just been powder coated ready to put the new bushes in.

The bike is a bitsa 59  A7 frame with a 62 A10 engine (alloy head, 9:1`s, 357 cam, SRM pump, belt drive primary, alton alternator, electronic ignition, 5 speed box etc) when it all gets put back together

Just been refurbing the forks today. New sliders, Dow dampers, new bushes but can I get the bl###y circlips in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peter