Author Topic: Advice need on a quick fix  (Read 3020 times)

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
Re: Advice need on a quick fix
« Reply #15 on: 30.07. 2010 15:16 »
Its probably more dangerous being caught with her hairspray..........
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #16 on: 30.07. 2010 15:21 »
Having been in the loudspeaker manufacturing business in the late '60s and much of the '70s, MEK was everywhere in he factory. If you wanted MEK-based adhesives off your hands you scrubbed with MEK.

Richard,
There all are kinds of anomalies in UK law. You cannot hire a chainsaw or a disc cutter for example unless you can show the appropriate certification for operating these tools. Yet you can legally purchase these items from your local hardware store.

As a10gf so rightly surmises: "The good old days" People of our generation were exposed to all kinds of very nasty stuff. Asbestos, silica dust, mercury vapour, lead, the list goes on and on. Some of this exposure was because the harmful effects were either unknown or undisclosed at that time. And yes we did work with it because that is how it was. I have witnessed asbestos dust being blown out of brake drums with high pressure airlines for example, and paint being sprayed by a sprayer with a cigarette in his mouth. Nobody new any better. Hazard awareness only became an issue in the very late 70's and has gathered in momentum ever since. The cynic in me is inclined to the view that the only reason that employers are now so concerned about health and safety issues is that they do not want to run the risk of legal action being brought against them. How times have changed! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCMzjJjuxQI

John

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #17 on: 30.07. 2010 20:44 »
sorry for more offtopic, hilarious How times have changed! link.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline Mick Parry

• Active
« Reply #18 on: 31.07. 2010 08:38 »
Chaps

Thanks for the replies, I shall pinch some of the wifes hair spray when she'e not looking.

Excellent advice as always.

Regards

Mick

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #19 on: 31.07. 2010 15:09 »
The only problem is that a lot of these restrictions are knee jerk reactions to prove that some technically ignorant shinny bum is worth the money that he extorts from the government by preventing the correct material being used for a job with proper precautions. Based on the results of successful litigations and not scientific fact.

Eg;- lead metal is harmless to the human body, you can not digest it. Hydrochloric acid used to be transported and stored in lead lined tanks as it is virtually insoluable in lead. We drink beer from Pewter tankards and the Poms make tea in pewter tea pots ( silver plated if they have a few bob to spare ) and until quite receint times pewter had some where around 20% lead, also arsenic, cadmium, bismouth.
Lead oxide is different, it is digestable, but white lead & yellow lead are still used with gay abandon all over the place ( except in paint ).
So we removed the lead from solder & replaced it with Bismouth & Cadmium & Antimony all of which are soluable in the bodies digestive system and the fumes from each are all much more toxic than lead.
We replaced tern plate for pressed parts like petrol tanks in cars ( that is why they don't rust out from the inside very much) with plastic so they can rupture in a collision and incinerate the occupants.

Butcher have to use plastic chopping blocks instead of wood because some twit in a horse hair wig convinced another technically ignorant twit in a horse hair wig that wood was dirty and promoted the growth of pathogens ( don't tell the forests that ) ,which made his client sick, so now we have a mass of butchers who have to saw cuts of meat because the plastic blocks blunten their knives & choppers and bounce so they lop of fingers. From the same court case sawdust as a floor covering was also banned so now butchers floors have mineral dust ( like calcine ) or diatomatious earths or some synthetic fat absorbant that cost a fortune and dose not stop the floor becoming slippery, and in time will be found to be highly castenogenic 

Millions of tons of cadmium oxide is used in paint ( yellow colours ) and most yellow plastic is yellow because of either yellow lead oxide or yellow cadmium oxide.

Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline Goldseeker

• Winkleigh, Devon, UK
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #20 on: 31.07. 2010 15:48 »
Trevor, I'm sure you fell better now, cos I know I do.  *yeah*
Col.

RGS Rep.
Triumph Rocket 111 Classic
BSA Rocket 3 Mk1

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #21 on: 31.07. 2010 17:37 »
Trevor, that was educational! I am hoping that Cameron will kick some be-wigged ass but I expect the odds are against it. He could have started with Obama and reminded him about the far bigger mess they have been and still are making to the environment than the recent oil leak. Clearly a case of who has the biggest/most guns makes the rules.
I'll stop right there because tea's ready!
Alan
Member of the 'Last of the Summer Wine Club - Jennycliff'.

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #22 on: 01.08. 2010 13:14 »
Gets off soap box suitable red faced & agitated slips into closset to reveal that he is also a hair spray junkie.

PS there is a HD product called "Grip n Glue"or some thing similar which is virtually the same as hair spray but in a he man can if you feel embaressed about weilding the "fairy net" over your bike, at a "he man" Harly type price.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: 01.08. 2010 13:28 »
Both the butchers I use have wooden blocks in the shop.  Are you sure they're "banned?"

And if so, can I turn them in for a reward?

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #24 on: 02.08. 2010 03:39 »
In NSW, Australia they are.

Might take a while for it to get to Scotland.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #25 on: 02.08. 2010 09:52 »
The Scots have their own rules and reg, particularly for native bred meat?
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline lawnmowerman

• Resident Legend
  • 1959 Super Rocket. Kent, England
« Reply #26 on: 02.08. 2010 11:29 »
Now that haggis looks nice - could do with a few neeps and tatties and some of that scotch poured over. wink2

Hope you get your bike sorted soon Bill and enjoy some miles on it before our usual five weeks of summer is over!

Jim
1959 A10 SR
1938 Wolseley 14/60
1955 Ferguson TEF20 tractor
1965 Ferguson 135 tractor
1952 Matchless G80 rigid
1960 BMW R60
1954 Matchless G80S
1955 Ariel 500 VH
1951 Sunbeam S7DL
1960 Matchless G12 with Watsonian Monza
......and loads of lawnmowers

Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die  (Jethro Tull 1976)

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #27 on: 02.08. 2010 11:59 »
Thanks Jim, it's coming together nicely.
My wife is dinning out tomorrow night so a chance for me to have Haggis and neeps ( she doesn't like Haggis )
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco