Author Topic: what seat base  (Read 1307 times)

Offline bonny

• Valued Contributor
what seat base
« on: 31.07. 2010 00:38 »
 a friend gave me a load of bsa spares that were left over from a rebuild of a b31 to a goldie rep, included was an old bsa seat and despite being tatty fitted my bike properly (unlike the ebay junk) , anyway can anyone tell me what seat it is exactly ? i need to order a cover as the base and foam are basically sound. it seems to be narrow in the pillion area compared to others i have seen , is it b31 ?       

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
Re: what seat base
« Reply #1 on: 31.07. 2010 14:34 »
Well that looks very much like the seats that graced my 54 & 56 swingarm A 10's
With the exception that mine seemed to have a lot more random drain holes in the base than yours.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline Stu55Flash

• A's Good Friend
    • Flash Resto
« Reply #2 on: 31.07. 2010 17:27 »
I had the same problem identifying a seat base. If you email RK Leighton home page below and include some pictures they will be able to tell you what seat base it is. They will probably be able to supply new foam and cover or recover it for you. 

www.rk-leighton.co.uk/

Stu
"Keep a distance from lady "L" drivers in cars. Some are not mechanically minded, are slow to acquire road sense, an are apt to panic..." The Pitman Book of the BSA Twins.
Golden Flash Plunger 1955, Francis Barnett Falcon 67 1954, Ferguson TEA Tractor 1951. Looking for another project!

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 31.07. 2010 23:06 »
Bonny,
            That is a '54-'59 base.
Leighton's covers are first class, I have used several. You also need the two rectangular rubber blocks which fit in the apertures on the front quarter and support on the frame rails.
Measure the base before you order a cover to ensure it is the correct length. [Don't ask why, I am still not happy about some pattern bases I had.]
A bit of trivia, there is no piping on the cover for those years.
  Trev.

Offline bonny

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 31.07. 2010 23:14 »
any ideas how much leightons charge for a cover , the cover is all i need , the base will be fine after a bit of welding and the foam is fine too , i'd rather use genuine bsa parts then pattern stuff.   

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 31.07. 2010 23:17 »
I can't remember what the covers cost but were well worth whatever I paid.
Just e-mail them for a quote.
The cover comes with all the clips.
Trev.

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #6 on: 01.08. 2010 00:01 »
Bonny I would replace the foam as well, even if it looks ok it is probably past its use by date. If you get a new one from leightons it will be better than the original. Cant recommend them highly enough, I've bought complete seats and covers and foams etc and they are the best quality you could ever get.

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #7 on: 01.08. 2010 12:41 »
And a few little tips.
Get a small can of POR 15 and paint the base with that then with your favourite black enamel and it will never rust.
Next wrap the foam in several layers of Glad Wrap and it will not suck up water and rust out the base .
You will need to go to a catering supply company and get the really wide stuff
Bike Beesa
Trevor