Author Topic: Non Genuine Forks  (Read 1594 times)

Offline cus

• Valued Contributor
Non Genuine Forks
« on: 10.08. 2010 07:46 »
G'day Everyone,

I'm thinking of making my '63 project into a bit of a special, & wouldn't mind a disk front-end.
Has anyone had any experience with later type front ends, that aren't too hard to adapt without
any mod. to the frame neck,

regards, Cus
56 G/Flash project

Offline beezalex

• North Carolina, USA
  • Valued Contributor
Re: Non Genuine Forks
« Reply #1 on: 10.08. 2010 19:08 »
Oily frame triumph front ends aren't too hard to adapt.  The spindles are smaller so you just need a couple of reducer bushings to take a complete T140 front end and put it on there.  Now....whether that stock disk is better than a drum can be argued...though they CAN be made to work.  But then again, so can the drums.
Alex

Too many BSA's

Offline cus

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 11.08. 2010 01:25 »
G'day Alex,
Thanks for that.
I had a triumph t140v, brakes worked well, but I had nice
flat disks & re-newed m/cylinder, pistons etc.
They had taper roller bearings, will they fit in the neck?

regards, Cus
56 G/Flash project

Offline cus

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 11.08. 2010 04:31 »
Starting to think that I'll stick to original set-up. I think there would be a bit of a snowball effect once I
started chopping & changing, but would like to make this bike a bit different, but nothing thats too hard
to change back if need be, maybe a single seat & g/s type guards???

regards, Cus
56 G/Flash project

Offline bonny

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 11.08. 2010 16:20 »
if you could get a front drum brake off a suzuki gt750j (the water buffalo, kettle , teapot,) from the early 70's , that would be worth doing , i have one for a triton and its a lovely brake.

Offline beezalex

• North Carolina, USA
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 11.08. 2010 17:42 »
No, the tapered rollers do not fit.  You would have to use original bearings of the tapered roller conversion for your A10 and then bush the steering stem up to fit the ID of the bearing.

That said, I think that even if you like to go fast, I have had good results with either the half-width or later TLS hubs when they were sorted.  Can't say that about the full-width but I also haven't tried very hard, either.
Alex

Too many BSA's

Offline taroha10

• A's Good Friend
  • 1961 super rocket. 1950 m20.
« Reply #6 on: 17.09. 2010 22:33 »
Hi all,
I know this is a little late as the topic has finished a month or so ago.However, in case it is of interest to anyone,I fitted a t140 disc front end into a 1960 gold flash a few years ago and I loved it.It sat slightly higher than the stock front but gave me confidence to ride fast after a couple of scares.I bought a set of taper rollers from SRM which went straight in.I just had to make up a dust cover for the top bearing (jam jar lid ) and had a honda master cylinder.The forks had gaiters which looked good too.Sometime I will post a picture of the front  brake on my super rocket which is a bit of a mistery.Looks like a goldie brake but with a homemade air scoop! works well though.

Offline Jim

• Moving Up
« Reply #7 on: 24.09. 2010 13:51 »
I've got a conical front end on my A10 and it works very well. It was done by the PO but I think that you need to use a T150 bottom yoke if you were to go this route, probably if you were going to put a T140 disc on as well.
Wimbledon, England.
BSA A10 x2
BSA B44 x2
BSA B40
BSA A65
TriBSA 500
Buell XB12R

Offline cus

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 25.09. 2010 09:54 »
Thanks everyone for all that info. I was close to doing the T140 thing, but ended up getting a complete front end, inc headlight brackets,
all in top nick, so its back to being all standard again & i'll keep it as genuine as poss from here on in.
The next stumbling block will be the guards. Late model chrome guards are very hard to find,

*Jim, I see you have a B40, they're great bikes, I had a '67 military job, was a beauty!

regards, Cus
56 G/Flash project

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #9 on: 25.09. 2010 14:33 »
Check the lengths carefully.
We popped a complete Triumph disc front end into a dry framed A65 and it was soooooo heavy at low speed to be actually dangerous in traffic.
Over 60 mph it was magic but under that it was a shaved gorilla proposition
Bike Beesa
Trevor