Author Topic: Frame Number  (Read 3479 times)

Offline diyjonesy

• Active
  • 1961 Golden Flash
Frame Number
« on: 10.08. 2010 22:08 »
Hi

I need some help, I have recently become the very proud owner of a 1961 Golden Flash but I am concerned about the frame number which is GA777167, the bike has been off the road for some time now and will need to be registered on a V5.

I have contacted the BSAOC and they tell me they have no record of the frame number, my question is will this be a problem getting an age related plate (although I do have the green buff log book) and regestration in general

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Frame Number
« Reply #1 on: 10.08. 2010 22:41 »
HI diyjonesy
Firstly are you reading the frame number off the bike or the log book, it is possible that the log book number was written wrong.
The frame number on the bike should be found on the fillet that wraps around the headstock at the front of the bike (left hand side sitting on the bike)
Frame numbers for 1961 run from GA7-11101 onwards to GA7-21120 (1962) so several possibilities with your GA777167
Check  it's not any of the following - GA7-7167, GA7-17167   you get the picture? sometimes the stamping is a bit obscure , frame may have been heavily painted, frame might have been damaged and replaced with new in which case the Dealers were supposed to stamp the original number on the new frame but mistakes might occur and so on
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline sparx

• Moving Up
« Reply #2 on: 11.08. 2010 09:13 »
  I'm trying to jump through the re-registration hoops myself for my A10 which has no number or documents at all. As far as I understand if you have the original registration and log book you can just take the bike for an MOT, where it will be entered onto the DVLA database, job done.
  That's assuming the original number hasn't been sold or re-issued by DVLA.

I'm no expert though, so don't take my word for it   *smile*
Dave
Peterborough (UK)

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #3 on: 11.08. 2010 13:56 »
There should also be a space between the GA7  and  serial no 777167.

If there is no space the the first 7 was probably added to change the number for the purpose of rebirthing a stolen bike
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline Pete Gray

• A's Good Friend
    • Scuppered Folk Band
« Reply #4 on: 11.08. 2010 14:53 »
I had a torrid time with mine when the new MOT came into being.
Till that time I had never checked the frame number which turned out to be different from that on the Log Book, later V5.

So having got the bike tested I decided to inform the DVLA of the correct number to be told in no uncertain terms that this would mean losing the cherished number in place of one they'd issue. The number is 777AWA so you can imagine my anxst.
It was a long story with several letters and phone calls + trying to prove that the bike had not been reframed certainly whilst in my possession since 1971.
But in fairness to the DVLA, common sense and much gentle persuasion (grovelling!) did the trick, they amended the V5 accordingly.

Pete

1961 Swinging arm A7
2000 BMW R1100R

Offline cotterpinkid

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 11.08. 2010 15:45 »
Pete, I may find myself in a similar situation to yourself (what with a 5 being transposed as an S and I think I've got a 3 instead of an 8 somewhere). The correct numbers all tie up with the BSAOC register, I may be in touch for some advice *conf*.

Brian
A10 GF Plunger
Velocette Venom

Offline iansoady

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 11.08. 2010 15:49 »
Remember that when you go for an MoT the tester is supposed to check the frame number on the bike itself, although it probably depends on the mood / energy of the tester whether they in fact do so.
Ian.
1962 Golden Flash (arrived)
1955 Velo Viper/Venom (departed)
2004 Triumph Tiger 955i (staying)

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 11.08. 2010 16:43 »
Generally I found the testers ask for the last MOT certificate and get the number off it, so any mistake just gets perpetuated ( spelt that in one go )
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Pete Gray

• A's Good Friend
    • Scuppered Folk Band
« Reply #8 on: 11.08. 2010 16:48 »
Generally I found the testers ask for the last MOT certificate and get the number off it, so any mistake just gets perpetuated ( spelt that in one go )
I use a very friendly tester who I've known for years but even he insisted on reading the number which I had to scrape clear of its powder coating to reveal.
Brian,

I have found copies of my letters which were directed to a really helpful woman at DVLA who worked in The Vehicle Policy Group - this all took place in 2006 by the way. More than happy to forward what stuff I have on file - just let me know. Can we send private e'mails on here ?
(I'm away for a long weekend now!)

Pete

1961 Swinging arm A7
2000 BMW R1100R

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 11.08. 2010 17:09 »
With these type of problems in the uk it's not very easy to sort things out with dvla Swansea, but if you go to your local centre and talk to someone face to face it is much quicker http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/contactus/localoffices/findnear/england.aspx
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline cotterpinkid

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #10 on: 11.08. 2010 17:17 »
Pete, it may not be this 'season' that I get it MOT'd so it's not urgent. However, with the computerised MOT and frame No. checks I'm going to come unstuck sooner or later so I do need to get things sorted. I think my problem stems back many years when someone incorrectly noted the figures down, but I can't blame them as I only realised the errors once the frame had been blasted and coated. It may be useful to have a sympathetic ear at the DVLA and your contact would be useful - it's fairly evident why the errors have ocurred. I too would not like to relinquish the original reg. number.

I'm not sure about personal mails via the forum either?

Cheers

Brian

PS

Cheers for that as well Goldy.
A10 GF Plunger
Velocette Venom

Offline iansoady

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 11.08. 2010 17:17 »
Quicker? Not while you have to wait for the taxi drivers, car dealers etc etc. It took me over 40 minutes waiting at DVLA in Brum before I could change my A10 from "Not licensed" to "Historic".......
Ian.
1962 Golden Flash (arrived)
1955 Velo Viper/Venom (departed)
2004 Triumph Tiger 955i (staying)

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #12 on: 11.08. 2010 19:09 »
Sending Private messages....

Brian... Pete... You can send private messages or emails. Just click on the small icons below the avatar picture, there are three of these little icons the first is to view a members profile. The second which is an envelope, is to send an email and the third is to send an online forum personal/private message.
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 11.08. 2010 19:29 »
It's amazing how many of us have the same problems .
So Ian - what are the basics for changing from not licensed to historic, I had hoped it was as simple as get an MOT , go to post office or on-line and get a disc.
My project was re-licensed in 1986 (given new number  ) and last taxed in the ninties.
I do have a green continuation book and MOT cert (old type) both with the original REG number
All the best - Bill

Offline sparx

• Moving Up
« Reply #14 on: 11.08. 2010 21:23 »
I think that if a vehicle was last taxed before 1998 It's probably not on the DVLA database. If it was you'd be getting an annual V11. The sneaky thing to do would be to just put the original reg number on it if you have the original log book and get it MOT'd, during which it will be put on the database with the original number.
  Then apply for a new vehicle registration document.
Dave
Peterborough (UK)