Author Topic: Smiths Speedos Again Odometer Assembly  (Read 1758 times)

Offline Stu55Flash

• A's Good Friend
    • Flash Resto
Smiths Speedos Again Odometer Assembly
« on: 19.08. 2010 13:52 »
Has anyone any pictures of the odometer - the order of reassembly or a descriptive drawing? I stripped mine to clean the drum. I've got it back together but am not sure I've got the order correct as it fell apart.

Thanks

Stu 
"Keep a distance from lady "L" drivers in cars. Some are not mechanically minded, are slow to acquire road sense, an are apt to panic..." The Pitman Book of the BSA Twins.
Golden Flash Plunger 1955, Francis Barnett Falcon 67 1954, Ferguson TEA Tractor 1951. Looking for another project!

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
Re: Smiths Speedos Again Odometer Assembly
« Reply #1 on: 19.08. 2010 17:31 »
Wow your brave, I never touch them myself. i do everything except speedo's and wheel building, but is this any help all the best http://members.shaw.ca/randell/Smith/Speedo.html
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 19.08. 2010 21:09 »
We are talking about chrono's aren't we? Different kettle 'o fish. There's a couple of different setups with chrono's. The little tension springy thing always tricks me where it goes.

Offline iansoady

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 20.08. 2010 10:38 »
Dennis Quinlan is an expert in Smiths speedos - look here for some really good stuff.
Ian.
1962 Golden Flash (arrived)
1955 Velo Viper/Venom (departed)
2004 Triumph Tiger 955i (staying)

Offline Stu55Flash

• A's Good Friend
    • Flash Resto
« Reply #4 on: 20.08. 2010 15:37 »
Thanks for the replies. Job now done after around 6 hours work. Most useful (after previous post on here of course):

Old magazine articale on speedo movement itself:

http://www.hells-confetti.com/Technical%20data/Jaeger%20Instruments/Jaeger%20Chronometric%20Overhaul.pdf

Towards the end of this document it covers the Odometer, not exactly for the chronometric but you can get the idea from here:

http://triumph.daveola.com/NOTES/Speedo_Repair.pdf

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Stu
"Keep a distance from lady "L" drivers in cars. Some are not mechanically minded, are slow to acquire road sense, an are apt to panic..." The Pitman Book of the BSA Twins.
Golden Flash Plunger 1955, Francis Barnett Falcon 67 1954, Ferguson TEA Tractor 1951. Looking for another project!

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 20.08. 2010 18:07 »
Just a question, how did you get the rim off to access the instrument. I think its that which puts me off messing with them.
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline Stu55Flash

• A's Good Friend
    • Flash Resto
« Reply #6 on: 20.08. 2010 19:32 »
In this case it was already loose and came off with a gloved hand. When I've done it before, because the rim needed re-chroming I just used a junior hacksaw and cut it off. Their are other ways as shown in other posts like using the rubber type strap wrench. I used to fix aircraft cockpit instruments and we used to use a wooden board with a tapered hole with some duck tape around the outside. That way you can put your weight onto the can at the rear.

Stu

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 20.08. 2010 23:12 »
Hi All,
Good idea Stu *smile* *smile*
I use some double sided tape applied to the bezel, wrwp a length of webbing (bike strap) around the tape
bring the 2 ends together and secure them in the vice!!
drill 2 holes to match the mounting studs in a kength of flat steel (1x 1/8th or whatever)
Use this as a wrench to unscrew the can from the rim *smile* *smile*
HTH
John O R
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)