Author Topic: Plunger A10 rubber Air filter connector  (Read 5450 times)

Offline terryk

• Valued Contributor
  • Townsville Queensland Australia
Plunger A10 rubber Air filter connector
« on: 06.10. 2007 10:36 »
I am told that there is a difference between plunger A7 and A10 air filter rubbers because the A7 and A10 engines are different hieghts. An  plunger A7 fuel tank wont fit on an A10 and A7 exhaust pipes are not the same and wont fit on an A10. I know an A10 owner that purchased an after market air filter rubber and it didnt fit because of the height difference. The ones you see for sale I am told are for A7.
I want an A10 plunger air filter rubber  so if anyone knows a supplier please let me know.  I dont know if if anyone is doing both. Or have I been misinformed. regards Terry
1950-53 A10 rigid/plungers, 1958-61 A10 super rockets, 1947-50 A7 longstrokes, 1949 Star twin,
1951-54 A7 plungers, 1940s M21, WDM20s,
1948-50s B33s rigid/plunger/swingarm, 1948-50s b31s rigid/plunger/swingarm

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
Re: Plunger A10 rubber Air filter connector
« Reply #1 on: 06.10. 2007 11:08 »
see http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=312

I'll call basmotor on monday
E.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 06.10. 2007 11:11 »
Yesterday I made an enquiry with a firm in Austria. They list their one as an A10 plunger part:
http://www.vintage-motorcycle.com/index.php?language=en&site=4&pid=11&id=2774

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
    • A10 GF
« Reply #3 on: 06.10. 2007 11:27 »
Been there, a huuuge old barn full of parts and bikes. Friendly english guy runs it. Think you can safely order there.
e.

Stand with

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 06.10. 2007 22:28 »
I had a reply from them today. The part is about 21 Euros including postage and I can pay by Visa card. I will fax an order to them on Monday. I will let you know if the rubber fits my A7. If it does not I can send it to one of you A10 owners.

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 23.10. 2007 13:01 »
The rubber arrived this morning and it is totally wrong for my bike. The hole in my housing is round whereas the rubber is oval. Also the rubber I need should be straight whereas the one supplied has a 90 degree bend. If I had taken the trouble to look at the bike before I ordered it I would have realised it was wrong. If anyone wants it to try on their bike, please send me a PM. *conf*

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
    • A10 GF
« Reply #6 on: 22.11. 2007 23:58 »
The big rubber hose thread, part 788... *smile*

Fido, I received your gift today, thanks. Alas, totally wrong here too, and I did not look at the air filter box either, would be totally obvious. I had the airbox lying around for a long time, for retoration and to find a solution for some way of fitting a homemade filter, as I suppose the original filters are not available. I need a short straight hose too, the carb ends very near to & seems like straight in front of the box's hole.

But I now start to wonder if I have the correct airbox at all (I have never had it on the bike, got it as a loose extra part), the one I have is not similar to the combined battery holder\airbox depicted together with the angled hose in page 33 of the Bsa spares 49' to 53'... Sooo, I think the angled hose definitely fit that airbox 49-53 depicted in the spares book, or is that box for rigids only?? but anyway, obviously not the airboxes we have, something maybe changed after 54, and we may have the 54 box, with the hole beeing right behind the carb. If someone have the later parts book and could check on the rubber hose and shape of the airbox, comparing to the pictures posted here.

Next, I'll soon have a go at mounting the airbox I've got and see. Think I'll end up making a carb to airbox connection out of some hoses or whatever, It's nearly not visible anyway, as I found out from scrutinizing books and manuals looking for some good view of the system, trying to find the answer. I'll be back with my finds.

e.

Stand with

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 23.11. 2007 22:55 »
Here are pictures of rubbers and air boxes. The differences in A10 / A7 rubbers is easily seen. The airboxes are different as can be seen. The one with the hole facing the carburettor would need a straight rubber and I feel this is an early one. It came with my 1950 Star Twin, I don't know if it is correct as this bike has no air filter. The other is the one that uses the rubber connectors pictured. Hope this helps.
 Trev.

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
    • A10 GF
« Reply #8 on: 24.11. 2007 01:55 »
Trev, thanks for shedding light on this. Suppose it will be difficult to know exactly what airbox was originally on what model, must look again at some pictures and maybe find out. The straight connecting hose is maybe available somewhere, but never seen it in any catalog, btw, has anybody come across reproduction airfilters for these?

e.

Stand with

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 24.11. 2007 08:31 »
I still have the original Vokes filter element on mine so could possible measure it up or  something. I don't think most people would worry about getting that bit original though as it's not seen. You could make one with oiled foam like you get on some Japanese models. I wonder if there is a third type of box for pre 1949 bikes. As I said, mine has a round hole, not oval.

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
    • A10 GF
« Reply #10 on: 25.11. 2007 01:49 »
Many airbox details discoverd: side intake, round front, oval front.
Looking closely at pictures from roy bacon books may give some clues about what is right for which model.

I have some idea how to make up a nice straight connecting hose. I'll post my experiments when I get around to it.

Yes, good idea with oiled foam, will do the job. Just wondered if some original filters were laying around somewhere, I like old stuff.

e.

Stand with