Author Topic: Polishing Aluminum - My Amateur Efforts  (Read 6562 times)

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
Re: Polishing Aluminum - My Amateur Efforts
« Reply #30 on: 05.01. 2013 00:04 »
Absolutely teed off! The Maguirs had put a fantastic shine on the engine which pleased me greatly. Monday I went through what looked like a light coloured mud which coated it with spots of this "mud". Today was wash day, and instead of this "mud" coming off it has eaten into the aluminium! Unbelievable, much rubbing with solvol to start with and you can still see the marks. I'm left with no choice but to use wet and dry to shift the marks. The end cap off the dynamo looked like it had been left in somebodys back garden for the last ten years!
 What a pain in the ar*e!....................  I hope none of you fellas encounter the same whatever it was, on the roads this winter!
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #31 on: 05.01. 2013 02:12 »
 Do they still salt the roads over there or have they found something even more sinister to get rid of us bike riders?
I have the opposite problem with the road tar melting, almost as slippery as oil and a bugger to get off once set.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #32 on: 05.01. 2013 11:43 »
Yes, they do still salt the roads but not much this year because it hasn't got too cold yet, it just keeps raining all the time. I have no idea what I have gone through, but a lot of tipper trucks use that road and it's always dirty and damp, it's a short cut and I used it because I was in a hurry.
Once in a blue moon our tarmac gets soft and yes, it is slippy! Have you ever tried nail varnish remover to shift it? Be carefull on paint obviously,  but it seems to dissolve most things I've tried it on. Cheers!
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #33 on: 05.01. 2013 13:07 »
Well here (NE UK) they salt some of the roads ( the road has to lead to a town or village with a required population of a certain number or a councillor living there)
So as most farms have very few employees these days a gritter is never seen out in the sticks but they can be seen in convoy up the A1 or A697
Hope I don't come over bitter and twisted, I'll accept grumpy in fact I like grumpy I had a recent little spate with UPS which to their credit resulted in three telephone calls from them the last from the depot manager apologising.

Now to get back on subject it's possible Metalflakes little spots of mud were something more, I find cow dung is very tenacious stuff to get off and will leave a mark
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #34 on: 05.01. 2013 19:50 »
 Your right there Bill. Moo Poo does seem to etch but what are they doing with tipper loads? I followed 2 semi trailer cattle trucks at night in a thunder storm. No goggles so put hand up to eyes and peered through gaps in fingers. The bike and I were covered in a 1/2" coating of the fresh sloppy stuff.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #35 on: 05.01. 2013 19:54 »
You don't get much cow dung in the middle of Manchester Bill!  *smile*............ For sure it was not an organic matter, when you rub it off the aluminium is black like it has been burnt. It has eaten into it too. I'm not a happy bunny right now.
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #36 on: 05.01. 2013 21:18 »
Ah sorry Metalflake, never been to Manchester, been to Birmingham though and they have a Bullring *smiley4*

I've never had the misfortune to follow a cattle truck on a bike Musky, have done so in a car though and considering a cow can drink twenty or more gallons a day it's no wonder there's considerable flotsam and jetsom swilling out of them.

but the alloy being marked is a pain, I have a spare primary case that wont polish, seems like whatever marked it is right through the metal, perhaps it was made that way - who knows
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco