Author Topic: LED Indicators  (Read 4208 times)

Online Gavin

• Valued Contributor
LED Indicators
« on: 28.08. 2010 16:08 »
Has anyone installed LED indicators on their bike ? I have a 51 Golden Flash and am considering making it a bit safer for the road. I'm not sure I need opinions on the matter, but some insights, recommended products and suppiers etc, know how, pitfalls and how they were remedied would be brilliant. Thanks.  Gavin.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: LED Indicators
« Reply #1 on: 28.08. 2010 18:09 »
I put indicators on my project but not yet LED ones that's a future to do job, but you do need a LED flasher unit if you use LED indicators, apparently to get the correct flash rate
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #2 on: 29.08. 2010 10:18 »
They work really well, but you need to buy the complete kit including the electronic timed flasher relay as normal ones will not work with L E Ds.
The kits with a lot of individual leds are better than the replacement globe type
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Online Gavin

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 29.08. 2010 13:16 »
Thanks Bill and Trevor. trevor, are you able to tell me where you sourced the kit from and any details of it please? Thanks mate.

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #4 on: 29.08. 2010 15:00 »
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline lawnmowerman

• Resident Legend
  • 1959 Super Rocket. Kent, England
« Reply #5 on: 29.08. 2010 22:24 »
Paul Goff (Goffy) sells an indicator kit. http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffyindicators.htm Thinking of fitting some on mine.

Jim
1959 A10 SR
1938 Wolseley 14/60
1955 Ferguson TEF20 tractor
1965 Ferguson 135 tractor
1952 Matchless G80 rigid
1960 BMW R60
1954 Matchless G80S
1955 Ariel 500 VH
1951 Sunbeam S7DL
1960 Matchless G12 with Watsonian Monza
......and loads of lawnmowers

Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die  (Jethro Tull 1976)

Online olev

• Brisbane, Australia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 30.08. 2010 22:42 »
Gav,
i don't know if they work with a positive earth?
It might need some tricky wiring.
Mine came off ebay from hong kong.
cheers

Online Gavin

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 31.08. 2010 16:05 »
Still doing some research Olev, but it appears that 6v positive earthed leds are available. It may take me some time, but I will update the post as info comes to hand.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 31.08. 2010 16:22 »
If they have two leads there should be no problem, just a case of using the leads in reverse for positive earth, leds don't work if flow is reversed so if they don't work just try them the other way, should do no harm to the leds, of course if there is any other do dahs on the circuit board they might not like it, any electronic wiz kids reading this might want to throw more light on the subject (joke - pun intended) *whistle*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online Gavin

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 05.09. 2010 14:14 »
Thanks for the help so far. This week I have bought a few led's to help me mess about for a while. I have discovered that they will work on 6v positive earth. But then the trial led stopped doing that. I don't think they like the positive earth world. I have bought a 12 v remote kit with a stop light that attaches to the helmet. It should be an easy matter of a second brake switch concealed behind the original and used exclusively by the remote, powered from a small 9v battery whcich I retrieved at a great price from a used set of smoke detector batteries. I am just experimenting at present.

Once this System works I will buy 2 more and rig them to a new switch I have ordered for the indicators. Then I'll get a flasher unit and connect up the radio kits again... means no wiring on the bike, and hope to get a couple of respectable and very bright yellows for the indicators. A bit of work getting the radio stuff to drive amber and not red lights should give me the outcome I want. And once again I'll use another indipendant 9v battery which I think I can conceal somewhere on the bike without much trouble. So give me a couple of months for parts to turn up and a few bits to be modified and I'll hopefully be back with a few photo's.

Thanks again for the clues and places to visit. Contact with the above websites has been really helpful. 

Online Gavin

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 28.10. 2010 17:37 »
Finally have them working and sorted. Installed a 12v system and kept it completely isolated from the 6v pos earth system. have a 5 amp fuse, the correct flasher unit, a separate brake switch, concealed switch for the tail light, and switch on handlebars which i modified to include pilot light. hopefully the pix tell the story. Thanks for your support an input. I am really pleased with the results.

Offline Stu55Flash

• A's Good Friend
    • Flash Resto
« Reply #11 on: 28.10. 2010 23:42 »
Well done Gavin one hell of job.

It will confuse the hell out of following drivers. Looks like an old bike on the surface but lights up like a space ship with the flick of a switch!

Nice job

Stu
"Keep a distance from lady "L" drivers in cars. Some are not mechanically minded, are slow to acquire road sense, an are apt to panic..." The Pitman Book of the BSA Twins.
Golden Flash Plunger 1955, Francis Barnett Falcon 67 1954, Ferguson TEA Tractor 1951. Looking for another project!

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 29.10. 2010 05:02 »
Nice job Gavin,
However, I was looking forward to seeing the arrangement we spoke about, where the indicators would be on each side of your helmet!

Richard

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #13 on: 29.10. 2010 20:42 »
Great work Gavin.
Richard, wouldn't they be better on the fingers of the gloves. That way younger motorists will learn that putting your hand out is signaling a turn, not waving.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Mosin

• Valued Contributor
  • Cumbria
« Reply #14 on: 15.11. 2010 20:01 »
I'm thinking of fitting some LED indicators to my bike - I'm sick to death of being cut up by motorists who fail to recognise a hand signal, especially in this failing winter light. Also, I'm always a bit wary of the consequences of taking my hand off the throttle to signal that I intend to pull out and pass something or move to the right hand lane on a Dual carriage way etc.

I can't help feeling that a decent set of indicators would result in a much safer me.

Anyway, my biggest problem so far with this plan is that I don't seem to be able to find any "off the shelf" LED indicators which would look even half acceptable on an A. Has anyone come across any, and if so, where?

Cheers,

Simon
1960 A7 Shooting Star
1959 D3 Bantam
1994 Triumph Trident 900

North West England