Author Topic: Petrol Tank Gold Lining Tape  (Read 5525 times)

Offline NickSR

• A's Good Friend
Petrol Tank Gold Lining Tape
« on: 23.08. 2010 22:31 »
Hi Everyone

I want to tidy up my Super Rocket Petrol Tank the original gold painted line has worn away, does any one know where I can purchase gold lining tape on a roll?

Regards
Nick
1962 Super Rocket
1955 BSA C11G
1998 BMW R850R

Offline cus

• Valued Contributor
Re: Petrol Tank Gold Lining Tape
« Reply #1 on: 24.08. 2010 06:13 »
G'day Nick,
If you go & see your local Signwriter, he should be able to help you out.
They can cut the strips of gold self adhesive vinyl any length & width.
Ask for metalic gold cast vinyl, (thats the good stuff), can be cleared over
with 2-pack as well, if needed. Best brands are 3M or Avery,

regards, Cus
56 G/Flash project

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 24.08. 2010 09:26 »
I think Cus has the better reply but if your stuck Halfords do sell it but I've never used theirs, I have some that my painter had left from painting the tank , would much prefer hand lining but not in my batch of skills and difficult to find anybody around here to do it
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #3 on: 24.08. 2010 12:10 »
Mask the tank then airbrush some gold size or gold laquer to make the stripe.
It is bog easy to do and leaves any tape for dead.
I have even seen pin lining painted over the mask with a brush but 6 or 7 layers of gold lacqeur has to be seen to be believed.
Almost any paint shop will sell the stretchy tape for masking a pin line ( the stuff I use is blue but the label fell off years ago )
A HD owner I know actually used genuine gold on his hog.
You buy it in a roll from art shops, put a tack on the tank then rub the gold foil on and trimm with a Stanley knife.
There is another finish that looks even better which uses a glue which gets dusted with "gold" ( titaniun nitride) dust similar to what book binders use to guild the ends of book pages.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline cus

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 24.08. 2010 22:44 »
If you go the spray & mask, I would also clear coat over the gold. Acrylic & 2-pack base coats arn't very durable on their own, & will wear off eventually
with fuel & polish etc. The old original coach lining was done with enamal which is a poor grade of paint.
You can also get 22ct adhesive, that can be cut into strips but $$$$$. If you haven't got an airbrush etc. the vinyl is an easy way to go, & easy to replace
if need be, but like Trevor mentions, it's not hard to mask up & spray, just make sure there are no kinks in your curves,

CUs
56 G/Flash project

Offline Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #5 on: 25.08. 2010 00:46 »
Unless you are going to enter your bike in a concours event then I reckon you cant go past lining tape.

But it is very important to use a quality tape, I use 3M, as the quality ones are thinner than the cheap stuff from automotive shops. The tape is a lot easier to apply and once it is clear coated over it is very difficult to tell it is tape.

The clear coating is very important and once again you must use a quality two-pack clear that will tolerate unleaded fuel. Dont buy your paint from one of those cheap automotive places, go to a proper crash repair supplier and buy a quality brand. For clear I use Nupol which is a English brand and colour I use Spies Hecker.

The photo I have attached is the tank on my Star Twin, silver two-pack base coat, lining tape and emblems clear coated over the top with Nupol two-pack clear.

Offline NickSR

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 01.09. 2010 22:34 »
Thanks to eveyone for their help.
Regards
Nick
1962 Super Rocket
1955 BSA C11G
1998 BMW R850R

Offline rocket man

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 01.09. 2010 22:56 »
hi i hade mine done bye a coach painter he did them by hand and used varnish after the result is great