Author Topic: Me and BSA  (Read 1364 times)

Offline Mark Parker

• Yea I'll probably get kicked off
  • Moving Up
  • Looking for a picture of my old A10 :( :(
Me and BSA
« on: 11.09. 2010 15:47 »
A's of all types, I once had a nice 1950 G/Flash plunger A10 as a first bike when I was 17, cost $10 it was originally stored in bits in a shed on a farm, but by the time we heared about it and bought it the shed had fallen down. My dad and his friend fixed it, and theoretically I helped but I think I did a lot of watching. That was my transport away from home in the big smoke at art school, it was a great machine for learning stuff, if you didn't work out how to fix it it didn't take you places. One of the worst things it did was crossing some train tracks where the jolt somehow had the fibre gear on the magneto strip some teeth, that was winter at night in Nimetabel waiting for dad with the trailer. My dad fixed that by cutting two stripped gears in half and using the good halves to make one good one. Got my first ticket on it in Canberra after riding for about 6 months with just header pipes a copper on a bike came up next to me at the lights and waved me over, I think it cost $19 and I had to go before a magistrate. I've learned that if something is a bit loud at least have it look like it has mufflers. Then dear oh dear being a youth I showed the poor thing little mercy and it threw a rod through the cyl block having a bit of a drag with my best friend in his torana, it was a GTR and I was winning. I couldn't find a block and C/rod, and after winning money in an art comp gave up and bought a cheap but complete second hand power egg, the A10's pudgey little offspring, and gave it to a man who welds and soon had it bolted into the plunger frame. An A65 in the engine room was a different animal to the 6.5 - 1 comp iron A10, not only that but I knew nothing about gearing and just put the chain on, an A65 usually runs a 47T rear spkt this had 42T and a 19" wheel, it was impressive and the switch to turn it off wasn't trying to electricute me like the metal earth button on the A10 used to do most of the time.
Mark
Had a nice A10 once, :( now only have the power egg child A65 :(

Offline trickytree

• A's Best Friend
  • Lincolnshire, England
Re: Me and BSA
« Reply #1 on: 11.09. 2010 19:02 »
Aye, but as power eggs go, yours is pretty cool ;)

Welcome Mark.
1965 A65 Bobber
A10 Bitza project

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 11.09. 2010 22:00 »
G'day Mark,
                    great story. Yes we all were young once, some still act that way. LOL.
Good old Ozzie get it working. Would have been a cold wait at Nim', I just sold 5 acres at Adaminaby. Are you still up that way?
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR, '76 XT500, '77 AG175 '83 CB1100F, '81 CB900F project.
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Mark Parker

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 11.09. 2010 23:49 »
We are on the coast near Tathra these days.
Mark

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
« Reply #4 on: 12.09. 2010 04:08 »
Just down from me and up from Carey (in Bega), looks like it's your waterhole then.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR, '76 XT500, '77 AG175 '83 CB1100F, '81 CB900F project.
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Mark Parker

• Moving Up
« Reply #5 on: 12.09. 2010 04:51 »
Got something funny happening in the power egg transmission, maybe its the key and taper behind the clutch but it's weird because it doesn't slip on the kick starter and it sort of goes rev grip rev grip going along. I'll pull the case off after work tomorrow and find out. It did it first time yesterday chasing my son's Aprilia up a hill but now is worse so should be easy to find. This is a view from the back last weekend. Cheap key fob video from Hong Kong taped to the rear guard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Na5131HVEs
Mark

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
« Reply #6 on: 12.09. 2010 14:41 »
That egg looks like a tasty omelet. Gotta find you an A10 to play with.
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Mark Parker

• Moving Up
« Reply #7 on: 15.09. 2010 14:44 »
Have you seen an A10 with an A65 cyl and head? One was raced in England some years ago. I had seen a photo of the engine back in the '70s, it was very fast.
    My clutch problem is the mainshaft taper and clutch hub, key is sheared and all gauled up, so I need to swap out the mainshaft and hub, which I should have done last time, good that I have spares. It spun about two years ago and was only a little gauled and though I cleaned it up it obviously wasn't up to it long term. It is hard to eliminate the clutch wobble which any cauling causes, which with a triplex chain is a bad thing as the chain side plates get hit by the sprocket teeth. It can break the side plates or force them off the riveted pins, renolds chain seems to fare better than others. Flexing shafts do the same thing so I put extra bearings in to prevent deflection.
   Pulling the T/cases will allow me to weld up the rest of the crack in the main case at the same time Ha ha. Maybe able to put another vertical strengthening piece in.
Mark

Offline pato08

• A's Best Friend
  • A Work In Progress
« Reply #8 on: 15.09. 2010 17:49 »
Just had a look at your "UTUBE" vid I'd say those were double centre line when you over took that car at the start *eek* Might get those Canberra coppers to have another word with you  ;)

Pato
1957 Plunger, one of the very rare collector's items ;-)
Australia

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
« Reply #9 on: 15.09. 2010 21:00 »
Sounds like you will be tinkering this w/end.
Pato, the space between those double lines is the motorcycle lane, my tyres just fit. *smile*
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Mark Parker

• Moving Up
« Reply #10 on: 18.09. 2010 10:28 »
 *eek* Pretty sure the doubles ended there if not there would have only been a foot in it. Welded the crack in the case but cannot get the last little bit because of the fumes and oil coming out it. Got most of it though and have to wait for the J B weld to harden on the last bit. I use a more complex 4 spring clutch with extra plates with the heaviest springs I can get, the three spring unit will not hold no matter what I do. Should get it going by next weekend.

Video from the front:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uncK4P1gyUw
Mark