Author Topic: Historical aerial view of BSA works  (Read 2055 times)

Offline iansoady

• Valued Contributor
Historical aerial view of BSA works
« on: 15.09. 2010 10:58 »
Someone on the Yahoo BSA forum posted this: if you use Google Earth (v5+) you can choose a historical view by clicking the clock in the top button bar then moving the slider to select your year. The earliest I can get for the Armoury Road works is 1945, but the factory layout is quite clear.

Birmingham and parts of the North East have good coverage. It's an interesting exercise to spot the old bike factories - I found BSA and Velocette so far.

Probably everybody knows this already......
Ian.
1962 Golden Flash (arrived)
1955 Velo Viper/Venom (departed)
2004 Triumph Tiger 955i (staying)

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Historical aerial view of BSA works
« Reply #1 on: 15.09. 2010 15:19 »
Ian,

Did you mean to post a link or just info about Google Earth?

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020. This year it's a solo or pillion ride in dapper attire. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #2 on: 15.09. 2010 15:28 »

Offline iansoady

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 16.09. 2010 10:56 »
Richard,

Not a link as you have to download & install Google Earth from here

Like those photos John - the whole gallery is well worth a browse.
Ian.
1962 Golden Flash (arrived)
1955 Velo Viper/Venom (departed)
2004 Triumph Tiger 955i (staying)

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 16.09. 2010 12:57 »
Ian,

Thanks for the clarification. I already had Google Earth and found the overheads by searching "Armour Rd., Birmingham, UK". Not that anyone here should be confused, but, of course, the picture form 1945 is obviously not a satellite shot. I am pretty certain the British Air Corps (I think that's what it is/was called) must have taken regular aerial photos of their own militarally important manufacturing sites during WWII.

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020. This year it's a solo or pillion ride in dapper attire. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline bonny

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 01.10. 2010 22:42 »
another view of bomb damage.
if you go into google earth and search for cateswell road/york road birmingham you'll see a large flat roofed building , this is the old veloce factory where velocettes were built up until 1970 or so, but i believe they continued for a time as general engineers/toolmakers .
likewise if you enter dale road birmingham and look for a large white building to the left of some football pitches , thats the remains of the old ariel works and is probabily of more interest to us , if you enter street view and look to the east of this building , you'll see an old victorian building with green windows (since demolished) and that is where the famous firm of westley richards gunmakers/tool makers operated from for a very long time .   
sad to see the "workshop of the world" being dragged down for building land , everything is made in wan king in china now.

http://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum.php   ,i joined this forum and there are several former bsa employees there , some with their own personal photos they are glad to share , and are a very friendly bunch.