Author Topic: oil seal circlips  (Read 824 times)

Offline pbaker

• Moving Up
oil seal circlips
« on: 22.09. 2010 18:19 »
HELP!!!!!!!!!!

I have been trying for days to fit the front fork oilseal retaining circlips to my A10.
Is there any easy way of doing this single handedly ? It seems I need three pairs of hands and a lever to get the things in place

Any help gratefully received

Peter

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: oil seal circlips
« Reply #1 on: 22.09. 2010 18:59 »
Peter,

Not exactly sure which part of this tricky operation you are having trouble with, but, for me, the problem was keeping the spring out of the way while I manipulated the circlip. With access allowed, you can firgure a way to work the clip. The attached link leads to a post of mine from 2007, showing a rope used to hold back the spring. Hope this helps.

Richard L.

http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php/topic,166.msg1461.html#msg1461

Offline pbaker

• Moving Up
« Reply #2 on: 22.09. 2010 19:36 »
sorry should have left more detail
Its the round wire circlips that fit into the top of the front fork lower leg
thinking about it it may be to retain the top bush doh

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 22.09. 2010 20:26 »
Can be a real pain Peter,
Wont go at any price if you have to much shim in there and it doesn't take much to be too much, the circlip being circular in section you might have to allow a bit more than half of that circle to be outside the groove, therefore the top of the bush to be a little below the groove - does that make sense??

Also I bought two new circlips from a well known BSA dealer and official that were two big for the groove, fortunately I did not on that occasion loose a circlip to the gods of free flight
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 22.09. 2010 20:33 »
Its the round wire circlips that fit into the top of the front fork lower leg

The rope binder in the picture was exactly for the purpose you describe. My problem was doing it after the stantions were already in the top tree. It's been awhile, but I recall getting one end of the circlip down in or towards the groove and slowly working the rest in place with screwdrivers. I do, clearly, remember feeling that it was a tricky job and that I was surprised that I was able to work out a method. I just wish I could clearly remember the method.

Richard L.