Author Topic: Invisible A10s  (Read 3213 times)

Offline Taffy

• Moving Up
Invisible A10s
« on: 17.10. 2010 00:40 »
I got to wondering what percentage of A10s still exist especially the rarer types RGS,S.Flash,etc.in years appart from shows I've not seen an A10 on the road being used as small Heath intended.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Invisible A10s
« Reply #1 on: 17.10. 2010 06:09 »
Taffy

I was thinking a similar thing today, except, I also thought of what a lame area I live in where even grown men don't seem to know they are seeing something rare and, in my opinion, beautiful and cool. Now, that's not true of everyone. If I am at an actual motorcycle desitnation, like a dealer, there will some interest, awe and reminiscing . Maybe it's the slight customization and fresh shiny paint job that hides the fact that the motorcycle they see may be as old as they are, or, maybe, as old as their fathers are. In seventeen years of living in illinois, I have seen two other A10's, and those were at a British car and bike show. Because of friends on this forum, I often dream of riding in the British, Australian or Indian (thanks to Anji) countryside. Today I was also thinking, "Hmmm? I wonder what it would cost to ship my bike to England for a tour?" (Australia and India are not really practical goals. I have however spent six weeks in Sydney, back in the 70's, but not on a motorcycle.)

Well, that's all, for now. I know I slid around the original question quite a bit.

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2017 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE on September 30, 2018. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 17.10. 2010 07:14 »
G'day Taffy,
                   their getting thin on the ground now. Twice a month on our club ride there is usually 2 sometimes 3 A7/10's. I try to ride both of mine twice a week. I think Hubbie down in Melbourne rides his daily.
 Speaking of Melbourne, I think our Casey could have won on an A10  *smile*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR, '76 XT500, '77 AG175 '83 CB1100F, '81 CB900F project.
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 17.10. 2010 08:13 »
There's more Rocket Goldies  now than ever.
 *smile*

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 17.10. 2010 09:07 »
As you say Taffy you see them at shows. There are a lot of people who like to polish and show them but not ride them, they are even taken to the show on a trailer. Some of them havn't even got soot up the exhaust. The other problem is value. There is an RGS on E bay at the moment Item No. 230535543699 at £15,000 has not even reached it,s reserve. If you own a bike of that value you'r not going to pop down to the shops on it.
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline gold33

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #5 on: 17.10. 2010 09:17 »
G'Day Taffy,

Mine is on the road at least twice a week on Sydneys North Shore, weather and break downs pending.
Haven't seen another on the road on my side of the bridge yet but it does attract a lot of attention. Even had people walk out onto the road way for a chat while stopped at the lights.

As to not riding due to value? apart from an RGS, A10's aren't worth as much as a new Hyundai; and why else would you own such a beautiful machine if not to ride it?
Darren
'52 Plunger

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 17.10. 2010 10:41 »
at £15,000 has not even reached it,s reserve. If you own a bike of that value you'r not going to pop down to the shops on it.

As the guy said about Hayundais, people pop to the shops in £30,000 cars.

People who trailer bikes to shows and are scared to blue the exhaust are suffering from a mental illness similar to that of bus-spotters, mouse fanciers and Nick Hornsby book subjects.

Offline Taffy

• Moving Up
« Reply #7 on: 17.10. 2010 11:14 »
Price surely can't affect rideability most modern bikes are more valuable.The spares and skills are there as is good advice.so it's likely to be scarcity.

Offline trickytree

• A's Best Friend
  • Lincolnshire, England
« Reply #8 on: 17.10. 2010 11:21 »
For A10's read just about any classic bike. Theres a guy in the next village to me, less than 2 miles away, with a plunger Gold Flash and I never even knew he was there. I bumped into him at the Wolds Bikers charity night some months ago and I have never seen him or the bike before or since. There is a guy in my own village, someone I speek to quite often and who only last week came up for a chat as I was warming the bike on the drive ready to go for a ride, who apparently has a running but scruffy Gold Star in his garage. And I never knew till last week...never seen it, neither has the chap in question ever mentioned it.

I see a chap on a pre unit Trump most mornings, rain or shine, on my way to work in Grantham. Theres also a guy on a 70's Honda (500 four I think) and they are the only two classic bikes I have come across on a regular basis all summer.

Yesterday I went to Stafford classic show and was amazed at the lack of older bikes in the car park...I didnt walk around all of them but on my stroll from the gates to my bike I saw nothing remotely as elderly as my A65.

There was a thread a few weeks ago about breaking complete bikes for parts as there worth more that way. Some folk were saddened that solid ridable machines were ending up this way and I said "why not?", parts go around the classic scene and keep or put something else on the road (or more likely in the garage).

I heard a disturbing rumour yesterday from a mate in the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club that the powers that be want to scrap year round free road tax for historic vehicles and replace it with a March to September version instead.
That will be a blow to folk like myself that ride all year round , but its doubtfull it will impact on the majority of owners...infact if they scrapped free road tax altogether most of this type of owner would be unaffected...a bike dont need taxing to sit in a fuggin garage.

Rant over *sad2*
1965 A65 Bobber
A10 Bitza project

Offline iansoady

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 17.10. 2010 12:11 »

I heard a disturbing rumour yesterday from a mate in the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club that the powers that be want to scrap year round free road tax for historic vehicles and replace it with a March to September version instead.

I can't see why they'd bother. There can't be that many vehicles taking advantage of it and it would only add admin costs. Far more likely they'd do away with it altogether....
Ian.
1962 Golden Flash (arrived)
1955 Velo Viper/Venom (departed)
2004 Triumph Tiger 955i (staying)

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #10 on: 17.10. 2010 19:47 »
Down here in NSW club rego costs $50 a year. It is basically an unregistered vehical permit. In my classic club we can do club events and also have a 30 km radius for tuning & testing. So at least twice a week I have to test that they (A7 & A10) haven't developed any oil leaks  *smile*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR, '76 XT500, '77 AG175 '83 CB1100F, '81 CB900F project.
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Stu55Flash

• A's Best Friend
    • Flash Resto
« Reply #11 on: 17.10. 2010 20:21 »
I live in a small Cambrian village and on sunny days regularly see a Gold Star and a pre-unit Triumph plus the odd VMCC run. But nothing on daily basis or in the wet.

I use my Fanny B to nip down the shops regularly and hope to do the same with the Plunger Flash when the reg number finally arrives.

Stu
"Keep a distance from lady "L" drivers in cars. Some are not mechanically minded, are slow to acquire road sense, an are apt to panic..." The Pitman Book of the BSA Twins.
Golden Flash Plunger 1955, Francis Barnett Falcon 67 1954, Ferguson TEA Tractor 1951. Looking for another project!

Offline Goldseeker

• Winkleigh, Devon, UK
  • A's Best Friend
« Reply #12 on: 17.10. 2010 20:48 »
There is an RGS on E bay at the moment Item No. 230535543699 at £15,000 has not even reached it,s reserve.

I just wonder if this ridiculous classic bike price bubble is going to burst like the classic cars in the 80's.
Col.

RGS Rep.
Triumph Rocket 111 Classic
BSA Rocket 3 Mk1

Offline sinbad

• Uk north west coast
  • Moving Up
« Reply #13 on: 17.10. 2010 21:17 »
I would think so Goldseeker, Saw a Goldstar advertised in a mag by a dealer for 18,000
Rod
1960 A10                             1998 Honda Cb 500
1953 sunbeam s7                   1988 Mz 250
1953 Nsu Consul 500 single        Jzr cx 500 Trike

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #14 on: 17.10. 2010 23:10 »
Be wary of bikes you see advertised and "sell" on the internet. Quite often these bikes do not actually sell, I have seen many sell for ridiculous prices on evil bay only to see them advertised again in a few months time. There are a lot more scams on the net than you would think.

I think Gold33 hit on a very often overlooked fact with his comparison to a Hyundai. We often think about and quote the values of our bikes but how often do we compare them to other vehicles and hobbies. Here in Aus you need to pay about $10,000 for a decent A10 which seems a lot but what else do you get for $10,000 ? A ten year old car with 100,000 plus k's on the clock, ten k wont go far if you like fishing and want a boat, go into a pro golf shop and you can easily spend that much on a set of golf clubs etc etc.

The thing is I dont think our hobby is as expensive as we think, sure there are lots of overpriced bikes like the RGS's etc but a decent A10 can be had for quite a reasonable sum and provided you look after it regardless of how much you ride it will increase in value. There are not many other hobbies that you can enjoy plus gain value on your chosen object.

Moral of the story ? Ride your bike, its good fun and comparitively cheap fun. Then we will cure the reason you dont see many on the road.