Author Topic: Oil Change.  (Read 2411 times)

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
Oil Change.
« on: 23.10. 2010 13:19 »
Has anyone got any good ideas for draining the oil tank without removing the tank from the frame and without getting oil all over the floor? I seem to get oil rushing out in a dam burst effect which overwhelms anything I put below the tank as soon as I unscrew the front filter plug. I did notice that Triumphs conveniently have a small drain plug at the bottom of their oil tanks (however that's the only positive I can see!). I tried draining through the oil pipe at the bottom connection with the engine casing but the flow was desperately slow.
Yours faithfully covered in oil,
Alan.
Member of the 'Last of the Summer Wine Club - Jennycliff'.

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
Re: Oil Change.
« Reply #1 on: 23.10. 2010 13:29 »
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

www.histo-tech.at - Restoration, Repairs, Racing

Austria

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 23.10. 2010 17:01 »
Thanks Markus. On the suction theme you suggested I then checked out both electric and hand pump types. The buyer comments feed back on the hand suction type (Sealey and other brand names etc, all looking the same, probably the same Far East maker) was decidedly 'don't buy' and I eventually found the type you suggested on ebay for £28 delivered from Germany. Problem solved, thanks again. I'm rather looking forward to changing the oil the next time now.
Alan

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 23.10. 2010 17:26 »
Has anyone got any good ideas for draining the oil tank without removing the tank from the frame and without getting oil all over the floor?

Don't do it over a floor.

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 23.10. 2010 20:52 »
Hi Alan,
Here is the "Cure" I adopted  on my SR,
I brazed on a stainless steel stub, which is drilled and tapped to take a stainless drain plug with a magnet
the stainless stup isolates the magnet from the oiltank!!
On mere mortal "A's and B's,
To catch the oil into a draintray I use either a piece of plastic shaped, or an old silicone tube (gun size) cut lengthways
If you cut the side out of a plastic 5lit container, fold the cutout piece into a U shape keep it in shape with some insulating tape, and it will fit in around the oiltank and prevent oil going everywhere *smile* *smile*

Cheers
John O R
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 03.11. 2010 15:14 »
This an update on oil changing with the 12V suction pump I bought to avoid having to unscrew the tank drain filter thingy while its full of oil.
I carried out an oil change today and the pump worked but it took maybe 1/2 hour to get down to the bottom of the tank, However, I had ignored the advice they gave which was to take it for a run to get the oil warm which speeds things up due to the thinner oil. I sat reading the MCN while it was sucking away (Love the new Ducatis, the Diavel cruiser and Monster 1100 EVO). You can get right down into the 'orrible stuff' at the bottom of the tank as well. I might try it with a larger bore suction tube the next time, if I remember. It's quite a small bore suction pipe, as supplied, to get into car dipstick holes which doesn't apply to us.
With the tank empty it was almost a pleasure to unscrew the tank filter to check it was clear.
No oil on the garage floor, result.
Alan 

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 03.11. 2010 18:21 »
Alan,
I've used the pump just last weekend on the A7, and with the oil being still warm after a short ride and the thin suction pipe removed, it took about 20 seconds to empty the tank. I'm only using the thin pipe for the very last residues at the bottom of the tank.

Cheers, Markus
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

www.histo-tech.at - Restoration, Repairs, Racing

Austria

Offline NickSR

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 03.11. 2010 23:11 »
Hi John
I like the modifcation to the oil tanks.
Regards
Nick
1962 Super Rocket
1955 BSA C11G
1998 BMW R850R

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #8 on: 04.11. 2010 14:26 »
I lean the R/H side handlebar against the garage wall on full L/H lock. The bike leans at about 30 degrees and gives me room to remove the filter plug and drain the oil. None spilt, none on the exhaust or floor.
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 04.11. 2010 16:17 »
Makes you weep really that the BSA designers didn't do anything about this problem. Maybe they did with the unit engined bikes, I don't know those bikes very well.