Author Topic: Gearbox gossip  (Read 976 times)

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
Gearbox gossip
« on: 25.10. 2010 04:06 »
I was down at Hampton Downs raceway over the weekend giving my A10 a gentle run in *whistle*, never exceeding 7000rpm by much... and honestly not really trying to be competitive just have a bit of fun, but I digress.
The Wellington (NZ) Agent for TT industries was there and had a brand new prototype 6 speed pre unit beesa box. Yes TT industries are intending to make complete beesa 6 speed boxes I understand. These wouldnt be cheap, but then their boxes have an excellent reputation and are completely new and would certainly be a useful improvement over standard. Admittedly my funds are currently a bit light but I will be seriously considering one if they do go into production...

http://www.ttindustries.com/
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Gearbox gossip
« Reply #1 on: 25.10. 2010 04:18 »
G'day RR,
                 nice bit of kit. The problem with putting in a 5 or 6 speed in our old bikes is that the motor never gets a rest. With a 4 speed it builds up to max then you change up the motor drops down into the torque band before increasing to max. Thus getting a little rest. With a 5 or 6'er it will nearly always be in the power band. I have witnessed quite reliable bikes with 4 speeds turn into hand grenades with 6 speeders fitted.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
Re: Gearbox gossip
« Reply #2 on: 25.10. 2010 12:14 »
I had a six speeder back in the day, you had to have a foot like Fred Astaire just to keep up with the engine. Good for racing types though.
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300