Author Topic: High rise western bars  (Read 3931 times)

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
Re: High rise western bars
« Reply #16 on: 01.05. 2018 13:46 »
Comfortable bars are mostly a function of the riders size.At 5'7", I change most every bike to lower bars. A method of determining what works, which I read somewhere years ago, is to sit on the bike with eyes closed. Get comfortable. With eyes closed reach for bars. Open your eyes and get bars with grips 1" farther forward and 1" lower than your hands. This has worked well for me for many years. Unless a fairing or large windscreen is fitted, in which case totally upright is comfortable.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 01.05. 2018 17:18 »

Handlebars can be a headache/nightmare.
What is good on one bike may not be good on another even similar bike. There's a guide in the link below that gives a guide of pullback etc.

I was looking for some replacement bars for my Gutzzi, and the closest I can find is Norton 06-1066 (put mine against a set in a shop), but the pricks I bought from (classicbritishmotorcycles *bash*) sent some brumby piece of junk that does nothing, although I did also buy a second very nice BSA bars like I have on my Plunger in Stainless but are just wrong for the Gutzzi (too low,I had to knock up another seat !!)

I've never bought anything from these guys, but have a look at the guide;
 https://www.classicbikeshop.co.uk/norton-commando-us-models-handlebars.html

I bought two sets of nice bars from below and they are fine but one is wrong (not even stainless) and no exchange seems they've changed ownership and gone to crap; a search brings up lots of unhappy results.
  https://classicbritishmotorcycles.com/index.php?seo_path=norton-commando-fastback-roadster-interstate-stainless-steel-handlebars-usa-style
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline BrianS

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #18 on: 01.05. 2018 19:12 »
Thanks guys!

However, I am still confused about the pull back on the diagram here https://www.classicbikeshop.co.uk/media/wysiwyg/Handlebar_measurment_1.jpg

I somehow thought it might be how far back the tips of the bars might be from the bars when in an upright position. The diagram seems to indicate that it is the width of a part of the bars but measured from where?  *conf*
1955 BSA A10 Golden Flash
Exeter, Devon, UK

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 01.05. 2018 19:41 »

.....I somehow thought it might be how far back the tips of the bars might be from the bars when in an upright position. The diagram seems to indicate that it is the width of a part of the bars but measured from where? 

I know it's confusing and maybe all hypothetical, but the way I see it in #5 is from the front of the bar at the clamps to the tip of the bar when the bar- handle end is horizontal..
 I'm not sure if that's the same one I looked at 4 years ago and updated, or a totally different diagram, I'm sure I saw more than one and one was better than other(s)

My bar looks like same as morris's- depending how I look at 'em *eek*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #20 on: 01.05. 2018 21:35 »
I somehow thought it might be how far back the tips of the bars might be from the bars when in an upright position. The diagram seems to indicate that it is the width of a part of the bars but measured from where?  *conf*

I'd say that pullback is measured by keeping a straight ruler upfront against the bars and measure the distance between the ruler and the end of the bar. Will need four hands to do that though.
The Norton bars shown in the link with their 6" seem to have a lot of pullback.
But as said, a lot depends on what you're comfortable with.
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #21 on: 09.06. 2020 23:25 »
54 rr
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline Jules

• Valued Contributor
  • 1956 A10 s/arm Golden Flash
« Reply #22 on: 10.06. 2020 02:43 »
ha ha Rocket man, that guy looks soooo unco….riding that bike with those bars!!

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #23 on: 10.06. 2020 02:53 »
ha ha Rocket man, that guy looks soooo unco….riding that bike with those bars!!
I hear you, have always preferred flatter bars myself but do own a 54RR so planning to stick with the western bars to keep it as original as possible. I must admit that while I have bsa's with clip ons, and others with low bars, my 71 lightning has some non standard high bars that are even more extreme than the US Road rocket.
I do own that magazine too !
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline ianbsa

• Moving Up
« Reply #24 on: 28.06. 2020 10:23 »
Got these from Kidderminster Motorcycles a few years ago, very comfortable for gentle touring.

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #25 on: 29.06. 2020 08:52 »
Got these from Kidderminster Motorcycles a few years ago, very comfortable for gentle touring.

Liking the throttle lock on that. Never seen one before.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline ianbsa

• Moving Up
« Reply #26 on: 29.06. 2020 09:28 »

Liking the throttle lock on that. Never seen one before.

Thks. Found it brand new in box at Kempton years ago...Wipac I think. Just adds another layer with the yoke lock and a wheel chain. I love all those funny little period correct aftermarket parts.