Author Topic: rotation rotation  (Read 1534 times)

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
rotation rotation
« on: 09.11. 2010 19:14 »
Am I right in assuming the rotation of my Magneto should be as viewed from the drive end (timing side) which means anti clockwise.

And secondly - I shamefaced  *red* ask if anyone has a pic of where the fibre washers and insulating bits for the points should be, yes I pulled he magneto to bits to see if I could see (as if) any reason for it not starting warm, this was reconditioned  about ten years ago and has not done that much since, everything looked tickety boo, solder was still bright and coils looked like new, I did not de solder the condenser to check it or the windings, thinking I would give it another try as I was of the opinion that that points spring might have been shorting out on the cam ring (it was very close).
So I had taken off the points - could not remember where the washers went, and now no spark at all so probably I've put the points back together wrong.
Might put a new set in there while I'm at it as I don't have a spare set anyway.

So once again folks I need you to rescue me from my memory
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
Re: rotation rotation
« Reply #1 on: 09.11. 2010 20:46 »
Yes Bill, 

Im sure that you are correct with the direction of rotation.  Anti-clockwise from the drive side...clockwise from the contact points end.

Unfortunately I can't help you further tonight regarding the fibre washers and insulating information.  If you don't find the answer by tomorrow (Wed) evening, contact me.  I have a spare brass type contact breaker assembly in my panniers that I could send up for you to try.  The points are all adjusted and all it needs is fitting as a unit.  This would also answer your question about the insulation.

Beezageezauk.

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 09.11. 2010 22:30 »
Thanks for the replies guys I should have mentioned the points are the later steel plate type.
But the picture clearly show what I think my problem could have been with the red tape, will have a go Thursday (out tomorrow) to sort out which washer goes where, starting point will be that they don't go where they are now I suppose.

Jeez it's cold these last couple of days in the shed, go a heater in there now though
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 11.11. 2010 16:59 »
got it, was fairly obvious once I had looked at it for a few hours, no I got a pic on SRM site that showed the points, I had the plastic bit wrong somehow.

Might have to pull the lug the springs on down a bit as the spring looks to be touching the cam, but I got two health sparks per kick so maybe it's fine.

Will give it a kick tomorrow, not exactly weather for an excursion but plenty other jobs to do, need to make a new door for the apple shed so the Flash has a cosy retreat.
All the best - Bill

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 11.11. 2010 19:54 »
If you can find the old brass type points, grab then as a spare set. A friend of mine on a Matchy twin broke down on the side of the road recently, and we finally discovered the steel points plate was broken. These were a new set fitted when recoed.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 11.11. 2010 20:41 »
Hi Wilko - yes my other Magneto uses the brass type so I need a spare for it as well - when funds allow (Christmas is coming 8 grand-kids, various nieces and nephews along with parents and the odd partner or two) .

I managed to break one of the insulating washers that sit top and bottom of the brass post, replaced it with a fibre washer but would like the real thing at some point. does anybody know what they are called or the name of the stuff they're made of, have been trying to remember it all afternoon, it's not Mica and it's not Bakelite, amazing I served a year or so as an apprentice electrician so should know it, then again I have known it for the best part of 67 years , it's just today it's gone missing.
Seems like you have a buy a complete points set to get them
All the best - Bill

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #7 on: 11.11. 2010 21:28 »
does anybody know what they are called or the name of the stuff they're made of

Tufnol? or Tufnel??
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red