Author Topic: Tax certificates  (Read 837 times)

Offline Russ

• A's Good Friend
Tax certificates
« on: 01.11. 2010 09:41 »
Hi Guys,

Can someone please tell me what "Tax Label", if that is the term used for what we call a registration label in OZ, was originally used on a 1951 A10 and where/how was it fitted to the bike.  My mate has a "replica" round label fitted to his 1928 BSA.  Is this what was originally fitted to my bike. A photo would be a great help and any ideas where I should go to get a replica certificate.

Thanks Russ
1951 A10 Plunger.
Australia

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Tax certificates
« Reply #1 on: 01.11. 2010 10:15 »
Hi Russ - are you talking about the British Tax disc ( road fund licence ) if so

www.britishtaxdiscs.co.uk/order-tax-disc.php

or try ebay item 130449985818 seems like good feedback and shipping free
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #2 on: 01.11. 2010 11:16 »
If it was originally registered in the UK then it got the round "rego label" or in Pommie parlance "tax disc"
If it was registered in USA or OZ then it got a rectangular rego label.

There is a lot of traffic about these for UK riders because they need them to establish original registration so that they can get an age appropriate number plate.
In OZ it dosn't matter as age related plates are not avail;able and conditional rego ( club plates) get a unique series of numbers C or V in Vic, R ? in Qld , H in NSW.

Every state in OZ had different eregulationsas to where the labe had to be fitted.
Originally in NSW it had to be on the left , so that a walking policeman could see it as you rode past.
When they abandoned foot patrols in favour of "squaddies" and the two cops in the "Squaddie " had to be able to read the label as they snuck up from behind.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #3 on: 01.11. 2010 13:03 »
You would have to check with the rego department or whatever they are called in Vic, over here in S Aust we had round rego labels up until about 12 or 14 years ago, I still have a lot of mine.

Another point to check is if you do fit a replica label and ride the bike on the road you may get in trouble with the law. Once again here in S Aust it is illegal to display a expired disc even if you have the current one on display as well.

Offline Russ

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 02.11. 2010 01:55 »
Thanks guys,

Very helpful info.  Bill I have checked out the internet site and ebay you listed and they are exactly what I was looking for.  Thanks.
Trevor and Brian I have taken onboard what you both said. My bike was sent to Sydney in 1951 so I assume it was first registered in NSW. I plan to fit a replica "Pommie Tax Disc", just to make it look original, but may have to cover it when its on the road.  Mind you, the bike is in a million bits at the moment so it will be some time yet.

Thanks again all.
Very helpful forum for a novice that I am.

Russ
1951 A10 Plunger.
Australia