Author Topic: SR Seat Probs  (Read 1955 times)

Offline Pratty

• Active
SR Seat Probs
« on: 16.11. 2010 07:38 »
Hi guys,

Im getting towards the end of doing up the Super Rocket but have stumbled on a problem with
the seat. The bike never had a rear guard or seat when i got it but was told theses were correct.
The seat as you can see is sitting on the rear guard and not on the mounts.

Pratty

Offline lawnmowerman

• Resident Legend
  • 1959 Super Rocket. Kent, England
Re: SR Seat Probs
« Reply #1 on: 16.11. 2010 09:34 »
Hi Pratty
What year is your SR? I think the brackets changed from a strap to L brackets around 59/60. Is the seat correct? I had similar problems with a new Leighton seat except it sat too high rather than too low. I cannot see from the pics but there should be a couple of circular rubber buffers which sit on some bolt tops which screw into some threaded holes in the frame each side of the battery box. These were used for the single Lycette seat option and need to be adjusted to support the seat centre or it will sag or break over time - fix the rubbers to the bolt tops with some contact adhesive (Evostick).
There is a strap available which bolts across the rear guard top surface with two bolts and nuts and a rubber pad between the bracket and the guard. It has a hole each side which take the seat bolts.
I tried both options but the seat was still too high so I made a new strap bracket which was a SOAB to make as the bends are at an angle to match the curve of the guard.
Options might be to try the strap mounting (buy a new one and also the rubber pad underneath) or make some new L brackets a bit higher or use some spacers.
Another thought is that the guard may be sitting a bit high. Is it original or a pattern part where you have to drill your own mounting holes?

Jim
1959 A10 SR
1938 Wolseley 14/60
1955 Ferguson TEF20 tractor
1965 Ferguson 135 tractor
1952 Matchless G80 rigid
1960 BMW R60
1954 Matchless G80S
1955 Ariel 500 VH
1951 Sunbeam S7DL
1960 Matchless G12 with Watsonian Monza
......and loads of lawnmowers

Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die  (Jethro Tull 1976)

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 16.11. 2010 09:47 »
Hi Pratty
You don't say what year your Rocket is but I'm assuming it's a late one in which case the brackets are correct.
You need to use long studs in the seat and a spacer as in pic below
Also a long stud in the hole in the frame with the rubber buffers on as in other pic to support the seat -  rear wheel adjuster or just a bit shorter with two nuts , one to lock it at the height you want then another to lock a big flat washer to support the buffer.

take no notice of the seat brackets in the picture as they are wrong for the bike but right for the seat, another little job to do sometime
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 16.11. 2010 10:03 »
Hi Pratty,

Welcome to our friendly forum and I hope it serves you well.

In answer to your question:-

The set up with the angled brackets to each side of the rear guard is correct for 1960-on models.  Up to...and including 1959 the seat was fastened to a bracket that went across the top of the rear mudguard.  The mudguards were the same except for the different hole positions and the seat didn't attach to the "mounts" in either method.

Either method will do, depending on how close to original you want the bike to be!  Does your seat have provisions for attaching by both methods?  If not, the facilities on the seat will tell you which method it was made for.  If the angled brackets don't match up to holes in your seat base and you want to use this method, you probably have the earlier type seat.

If you have the earlier type seat base the easiest way to resolve the problem would be to obtain (or make) the crossover bracket, drill the top of the mudguard accordingly and put grommets in the original holes.

The other alternative would be to get the correct seat for a 1960-on model.

Can you let us know the outcome please??  I'm sure that this topic will be interesting to some of our members.

Beezageezauk.  *smile*

Offline Pratty

• Active
« Reply #4 on: 16.11. 2010 10:29 »
I believe it to be a 1961.
I have looked on the net at some photos resembling my bike and a lot of the seats look like they bend down towards the frame a lot more than mine does. To me - i thought the rear guard was high but pics i have seen of a10's show the guard rather high over the wheel. When you look at the seat bracket on the guard, the top of the guard sits higher than the bracket.
Yeah i will have to look into the rubber bits for under the seat. Also have to look at front seat mount, as the last owner took to it with a grinder.
I was told that the rear guard was original and was correct - Holes were already there., but who know now!

Thanks for the help

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 16.11. 2010 15:19 »
aaaaahhhh! The dreaded Wassell seat. Been there, wasted money on it, threw it away.
I find that if you start off with a Leighton seat you're 95% of the way there. Just a little fiddling with the brackets left to do.
Member of the 'Last of the Summer Wine Club - Jennycliff'.

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 16.11. 2010 17:54 »
Hi Pratty,
Welcome to the forum, All those seeking wisdom wind up here *smile*

I'll agree with others that the Wassel seat is not the bees knees *ex*
However there seem to be a lot of them fitted to bikes out there ????

When you mounted the rear mudguard did you fit the rubber strip between the guard and the frame tube where the saddle bracket goes behind the battery?
This will affect the fitting of the seat as well ass the "lie" of the mudguard!!

HTH
John O R
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Pratty

• Active
« Reply #7 on: 18.11. 2010 11:16 »
Im starting to think its a combination of things.

First - the Wassell seat ( Ordering Leighton soon )

Second - The bottom bolt hole in the rear guard stays are stopping the guard from pivoting and lowering.
These stays were modified at the bottom bolt hole once before so im going to get it all fixed up.

The C bracket from guard to frame tube was too far away but can reach once the bottom stay bolts are out.
This sort of enforces my theory  of the modified stay.

Offline Pratty

• Active
« Reply #8 on: 08.12. 2010 12:10 »
Hi guys,

Just an update on my seat problems.

After thinking it was my rear guard and all sorts of things including the Wassell seat -
I finally go my hands on an original Seat. Was in poor condition so i re-foamed and put a
new cover on it. What do you know - It fits Perfect on the rear guard mounts and looks great !!

Moral or the story - DO NOT GET A WASSELL SEAT IF YOU CAN AVOID IT !!

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 08.12. 2010 13:25 »
Well done - if it aint right fix it that's the forum way.
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco