Author Topic: Super Rocket 1958 clutch mainshaft thread  (Read 2052 times)

Offline Roadrocket649

• Moving Up
Super Rocket 1958 clutch mainshaft thread
« on: 07.12. 2010 10:44 »
Hi Guys

Could anyone advise the thread & size on the clutch mainshaft

I am trying to have a new nut turned but all the standard bolt sizes tried, do not match

I thought it would be a BSW?

Appreciate any help

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Super Rocket 1958 clutch mainshaft thread
« Reply #1 on: 07.12. 2010 11:18 »
BSCY - cycle thread I would have thought of the 20 tpi size
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 07.12. 2010 16:25 »
As bsa-bill says 20tpi BS Cycle 5/8" diameter. The nuts are available form any of the BSA parts suppliers such as, Supreme Motorcycles, Draganfly, C & D Autos.   All the best.
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline Roadrocket649

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 07.12. 2010 18:24 »
Hi Goldie

Thanks for your assistance

Had received a nut from Draganfly, but t would not screw up the shaft

The bike appears to have a Cush Drive Clutch, which the Draganfly catalogue shows the nut to be a 42-3171
However, they changed this to a 42-3267 nut which shows on their catalogue for a Non Cush Drive clutch

The nut dimensions and the associated washer centre hole dimensions, and the lockwasher are also different

It could also be an over- plating problem on the threads

Offline Roadrocket649

• Moving Up
« Reply #4 on: 07.12. 2010 18:28 »
Many Thanks BSA-Bill

I have advised my friend who was going to make one, because as mentioned to Goldie, for some reason, the Draganfly nut would not run up the mainshaft

I hope he can programme the machine to do this

Once again, many thanks for your swift response

Online Colsbeeza

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 16.05. 2018 11:37 »
I also just received a 5/8" 20TPI Clutch Nut from Draganfly. It also will not take to the mainshaft thread although it looks identical to the thread of the old nut. I will get hold of a tap to see if the thread will clean-up. I can buy a tap for A$47, so will try to borrow one. The washer which also came with it will not fit over the small diameter of the nut, but I can worry that out to fit OK. They might be very old stock.
My gearbox and clutch seem to be one problem after another. Happy Days.!! At least the end is in sight.
Col
1961 Golden Flash
Australia

Online Colsbeeza

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 02.06. 2018 09:46 »
Chaps,
I was not able to locate a 5/8" 20TPI Tap, so purchased one from LPR Tools in Victoria Australia at great expense. It turned out to be 5/8" 20TPI UN thread, not CEI. After a bit of research, I decided to use it. It is part of the Unified National system (Series with Constant Pitches), and is also a 60 deg thread form. Seems to be quite a range of diameters. Unlike CEI, which has a rounded edge on the threads, UN has the edges flattened off so I did not expect it would remove any more steel than a CEI tap would do.
I also purchased a 5/8" 20TPI UN button die to check if it would run down the mainshaft thread. It did - by hand without using a die holder.
The tap did the job, and the nut ran down the thread with a little more force than finger-tight.
Not sure if UN threads are very well known on the Forum, so thought I would write down my experience.
May be a useful source for larger CEI threads if unavailable. I have attached a useful table I found on the Net.
The large washer machined out to fit OK.
Cheers
Colin
1961 Golden Flash
Australia

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #7 on: 12.12. 2019 01:00 »
I have recently bought two mainshaft nuts one for a 6 spring clutch and a nut for a 4 spring , neither of which will fit any of 3 shafts I have tried, the 4 spring nut I started with goes on about 3 threads and the 6 spring nut about the same, I will not force them on they are too tight, I will be looking for a tap and die to try and see what's going on. I also bought a mainshaft key which is  small . I think the problem with these parts is the makers don't care and neither do the sellers, they are also at the sort of price that it isn't worth sending them back *problem*

beezermacc

« Reply #8 on: 12.12. 2019 07:37 »
I suspect these are from MCA. I've had the same problem with all my recent stock so, before sending them out to customers, I've been running them up and down an old mainshaft held in the vice. I have now invested in a tap to make the job easier.

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 12.12. 2019 14:24 »
correct beezermacc looking at a packet now with union jack sticker on , are they made in uk ? if so the plots been lost *eek* I will take them to my local engineering shop for remedy instead of buying a tap I will possibly never use again.

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 14.12. 2019 14:03 »
well it seems MCA [ aston- birmingUMM ] who have been around some years now, I would have expected better because these nuts I have are very tight. never mind it will be sorted, but not today --- its pub time yeah *beer* *beer*

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 14.12. 2019 16:46 »

...I was not able to locate a 5/8" 20TPI Tap, so purchased one from LPR Tools in Victoria Australia at great expense. It turned out to be 5/8" 20TPI UN thread, not CEI. After a bit of research, I decided to use it. It is part of the Unified National system (Series with Constant Pitches), and is also a 60 deg thread form. ..............

Without wanting to go off track, I was curious about this as I have some 'NF' taps that I kind of inherited and have always assumed them to be UNF and apparently are, so wondered if the UN threads were same but apparently not- just part of the same (little known) system- little known as there's not much information on the interwebbs..... the searches I did for 'Unified National system' mostly return results for Health, Education, or Judicial systems *conf2*, except for the Wikipedia item "Unified Thread Standard", related to UNF/UNC which only gives a brief reference to 'UN'  *pull hair out*

The download took a couple of attempts but the mud is a bit clearer now- not..... *eek*

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 14.12. 2019 18:03 »
Hi All
Dutch,
All you could ever want or need to know about threads can be found here

https://www.gewinde-normen.de/en/index.html

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 14.12. 2019 19:32 »

.....All you could ever want or need to know about threads can be found here....

Thanks- I think  *pull hair out* I bookmarked it for a rainy day
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

ironhead

« Reply #14 on: 14.12. 2019 21:15 »
I think you'll find these are 5/8" x 20  UN  different series than the standard UNF / NF