Author Topic: RGS replicas = cafe racers/ bitsas  (Read 6052 times)

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: RGS replicas = cafe racers/ bitsas
« Reply #15 on: 22.12. 2010 15:52 »
'Fraid I don't really understand GFDave's problem.  Sellers want big prices?  People are calling copies replicas, which means copies?  Auctioneers are crooks?

Welcome to life.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 22.12. 2010 16:38 »
Bankers, Auctioneers,  insurance agents - really just about anybody in the financial services industries.
All got one thing, in common they rip us of using our own money -- neat init

Now I've got my flame suit on just waiting for a banker forum member to reply  *computer* *fight*
 Nah he's probably on a Harley list
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 23.12. 2010 14:51 »
Lukey (or some one),

Being an American, English is, of course, my second language. So, can you exlain what "twitter" means in the following excerpt (from Lukey)
"Built for a purpose of riding fast and being a 500 single with the twitter."

Will there be a keyboard across the handlebars so you you can tweet your friends "Just got cut off again.by another »*#+?! little old lady."?

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2017 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE on September 30, 2018. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 23.12. 2010 15:06 »
Over here Richard and US as well I think there is a computer site called twitter, never been on it myself but people go on and apparently tell the world what they are doing and where, big percentage of them are probably burglars I would think, anyway they go on there and apparently "Tweet", this world is leaving me behind and  I'm in no hurry to catch up.

HOWEVER the Twitter Lukey refers to is the Twitter that Gold Stars are famed for, it's to do with valve overlap I think ( would love to be expert on things Goldie but I'm not) and it happens when on overrun when the exhaust note changes and --- Twitters
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #19 on: 23.12. 2010 15:37 »
I think that the famous Gold Star twitter is due to the original BSA silencer baffle design. Some after market silencers do not twitter.

John

Offline Lukey

• Moving Up
  • BSA Builders of London
« Reply #20 on: 23.12. 2010 16:56 »
This is the twitter I am on about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKYZSL6PK-s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC-XArBcBpU&feature=related

The top two sound the best along with the last one  *smile*

http://www.youtube.com/user/828cc#p/u/18/drKxDI_A-cA after he accelerates deaceleration

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP1boGSxJLw

The best sound in the world, I could sit and listen to it all day everyday  *smile*
1960 BSA A7SS
1950 BSA A10 Police bike - rebuild
1960 BSA A10 Overland Project
1959 BSA A10 Project Caferacer
1949 BSA Bantam D1 - as it came out of the factory
1951 BSA Bantam D1 trials - a bit of fun
1964 BSA C15 Trials
1960 BSA B40 Scramber - Building to original spec

Offline mrshells

• A's Best Friend
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #21 on: 27.12. 2010 22:46 »
Not a big fan of the "replica" thing I prefer Cafe Racer description
but however you descrive these BSAa they are made up of some very difficult to come by parts
and some very expensive parts
unfortunatley some of this price hike is because people state the parts as RGS when they are actually not
overpriced replicas. copys ,fakes call them what you will
at the end of the day they are British bikes being kept on the road

anyone seen the price of a Molnar Manx Norton ?  £24000
yes that is the correct amount of noughts
I dont think an original one is worth that much yet

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #22 on: 15.01. 2011 11:11 »
Hi guys, I am new to this forum so here is a few lines about myself. My A10 started life in 1954 as a Gold Flash in New Zealand; I purchased it in 1990 as a non runner with some extra parts. Apart from dismantling it and doing minimal work on it nothing was done for 15years until I got enthused to rebuild it. I decided that I would like to turn it into a R.G.Star lookalike so the work began I have a couple of pics that will let you see what has been done so far. I have always liked the B.S.A. clubman?s type style from my early days as a teenager from Kent where I rode my Norton 99 to and fro work and was frequently overtaken by a guy on a R.G.Star, I tried but could never catch him. Well that is my A10 introduction don`t know if anyone else from N.Z. is on the forum I guess I will find out soon, I have been here since 1971,cheers,   
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: 15.01. 2011 11:24 »
Hi There - nice bike and different enough to be your very own.
Like the seat, Black tanks   - not sure about the barrels but certainly changes the look of the engine looks a lot bigger .

Kind of similar to what I'm busy with (my Rocket Gold Flash), I like the idea of getting RGS style without making a replica, seems like I'm not alone.
Keep up the good work
All the best - Bill

Offline andy2565

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #24 on: 15.01. 2011 13:20 »
thats the point,the word replica should be replaced with the word "style",as i'm doing at the moment building an "A10 in spitfire style"but with up to date mods.
near wolves uk,will keep riding as long as can stay upright,tribsa,tt500,2xJAP grasstrackers+jawa.gold flash.triumph metisse,and others.

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #25 on: 16.01. 2011 07:30 »
hi guys/bsa-bill, yes the only bit that was done when i got it was the tank,thought about changing the colour but decided to leave it for now,too much other stuff to do. The barrels i got from u.s.a. recond +40 with new pistons(thick flange)mine was thin flange, a mate who works at air N.Z. got them painted with some heat shedding paint that they use on jet engines, we need to keep these cool out here, has been 34 deg.c today. The only bit that is genuine r.g.s is the ali head which i got locally have got new valves/guides to be put in yet, i have converted the mag to electronic ignition, Thor spark kit from u.k. have changed the armature/field coil of the dynamo to 12v and have a dvr2 voltage reg to control it, have had the crank done(small journal)with new mains and s.r.m. billet con rods and various other bits, i am waiting the delivery of a belt drive dynamo kit from sean hawker electrics u.k.so hopefully the thing will go good when finally completed. Saw a post on the forum from someone who had an oil gauge put in i would like to know how to do this if anyone can advise, i have an s.r.m. relief valve but that dose`nt tell me that i have pressure, after doing so much to this engine i don`t want to cook it. As you can see in the pics i too have converted to full width hubs so had to run the rear brake to the other side bit of a mission but i like full width for looks, throw back from my Norton days. About the 'replica' title yes i agree look-alike is how i refer to these hibreds, i have no intension of trying to fool anyone i am building my bike to my own cafe racer stye because that is what i like, when i had my Norton 99, i converted it to cafe racer with all the Dunstall bits, i was living in Kent at that time, moving to London put paid to that it got stolen and that was the last i saw of it,cheers guys, Bob. 
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #26 on: 25.02. 2011 14:30 »
Regarding RGS replicas, I've heard that some kit car replica companies refer to their replica kits as Tributes to the originals, so, from now on, Mine's an 'RGS Tribute Replica'. *smile* wink2 
Member of the 'Last of the Summer Wine Club - Jennycliff'.

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #27 on: 25.02. 2011 14:59 »
For those that want to know all about the RGS:

http://www.lightning-spares.co.uk/rgspage.htm

And scroll down to the Gold Star service feature which might be of interest to someone looking for Eddie Dow bits and pieces.

http://www.auto-cycle.co.uk/

John

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #28 on: 12.03. 2011 20:42 »
I like to call mine a "special", although it was influenced by the A7SS daytona racers. I have kept the build very authentic and to the period (replica frame BB32R).
With all the american options available, the yanks could build a twin carb road rocket tricked up with goldie guards well before the poms finally built the rgs.
I build mine to ride, I appreciate a genuine bike but also appreciate seeing anything BSA being used on the track or road, however bitsa.

some pics of my road rocket (#306) in action at Pukekohe (feb 2011) and Hampton Downs (oct 2010) on http://www.highside.co.nz
it went very well albeit some ring and valve issues, still beat an 850 commando kneeler and several 9 and 10 stud trumpets

Bob, pleased to see another Kiwi on the site and you survived the quake! I'm not a mainlander being near Warkworth.
Cheers
Tim
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #29 on: 13.03. 2011 09:33 »
G'day Bob,
              bike looks great. Here's a pic of my oil pressure pick up.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR, '76 XT500, '77 AG175 '83 CB1100F, '81 CB900F project.
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7