Author Topic: Ignition timing - can't get both clyinders the same.  (Read 977 times)

Offline nigeldtr

• A's Good Friend
Hello,

Just putting the GF engine back together and wanted to set the ignition timing, decided to fit new points and then noticed one cam lobe was way out so decided to get a new cam ring (a bit expensive). Anway, fitted the ring and still different point gaps  .012 the other .015. Came to the timing and of course on cylinder spot on 11/32 the other about 5/16 BTDC.

Any tips or is this ok to leave.

Kind regards

Nigel
1951 Golden Flash (engine now rebuilt) 1953 M21 a pain to start and 1961 GF that is turning into a black hole!

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
Re: Ignition timing - can't get both clyinders the same.
« Reply #1 on: 18.12. 2010 22:15 »
Try loosening the end housing screws and wriggling it around and retighten. See if that makes a difference?

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 18.12. 2010 22:16 »
Send the new cam back Nigel for exchange for an accurate one, It is said that there was a bad batch of cams made at some point in time ???
I had my Maggie refurbished a bit over two years ago and the cam in it is spot on (FTW but others get a good name also)

Other options are
1. set the timing to split the difference
2. use a fine stone to grind the cam so that it is right
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline nigeldtr

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 19.12. 2010 15:42 »
Thanks for the tips. I had a closer look at the new  cam ring, not worth the money but better than the one i've taken out  *sad2*

After lots of trying this and that, I finally realised there was a bit of play in the housing so I popped some 002" shim between the ring and the housing at the appropriate position (bit of trial and error) it seems to have evened things up *smile*

Hopefully fire her up next weekend!

Thanks

Nigel
1951 Golden Flash (engine now rebuilt) 1953 M21 a pain to start and 1961 GF that is turning into a black hole!