Author Topic: Royal Tourist 1962 tank stripping  (Read 916 times)

Offline Silverback

• Active
  • BSA, 1962, Golden Flash, Royal Tourist
Royal Tourist 1962 tank stripping
« on: 23.12. 2010 00:23 »
HI guys
I have a black 1962 Royal Tourist. I'm repainting the gas (petrol) tank and I know there as a gold pin stripe on the tank.
Questions.
One gold stripe or a small and a large one as I've seen in photos?
What do you as to paint, type, colour, etc?(No vinyle stripe)

Thanks for any info.
Silverback

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
Re: Royal Tourist 1962 tank stripping
« Reply #1 on: 28.12. 2010 05:44 »
Back in the mid eighties when I painted my B33 tank I used gold vinyl strip and its still doing the job 25 years later!
However I've also seen a narrow blue vinyl strip you can use to mask up the lines you want and then paint between the tape and remove. This may be the answer for you...
Don't know if your bike should have a single or double stripe. I've seen some smart pics of triumphs with two lines but only ever seen single lines on beesa tanks.  Be sure to post some pics.
I used white vinyl strip again a couple of years ago on a B50SS tank and laqoured the badge transfers and stripes (they have a george cross two tone all painted tank) and it looked very sharp!
Sadly the B50 had to be sold to fund my Road Rocket! *cry*
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline Stu55Flash

• A's Good Friend
    • Flash Resto
« Reply #2 on: 29.12. 2010 17:23 »
I used this as suggested by Rocket Racer on the Golden Flash Plunger:

http://www.pinstripinguk.com/tapes.htm

Used as masking, paint the pinstripe colour between the tape and remove the tape before its dry. This has 2 strips one line and the other thicker don't what's correct for a 62 Royal Tourest.

Stu
"Keep a distance from lady "L" drivers in cars. Some are not mechanically minded, are slow to acquire road sense, an are apt to panic..." The Pitman Book of the BSA Twins.
Golden Flash Plunger 1955, Francis Barnett Falcon 67 1954, Ferguson TEA Tractor 1951. Looking for another project!

Offline iansoady

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 31.12. 2010 12:31 »
I did similar for my Flash but used the blue Scotch tape either side of where I wanted the line so I could get the thickness of the line right. Started with brushed on primer then finished with a couple of coats of Humbrol 16 Gold (available oddly enough from Amazon).

Looks pretty good although not up to a hand liner's standard.
Ian.
1962 Golden Flash (arrived)
1955 Velo Viper/Venom (departed)
2004 Triumph Tiger 955i (staying)