Author Topic: rocker box cover  (Read 999 times)

Offline rocket man

• Valued Contributor
rocker box cover
« on: 01.01. 2011 15:19 »
hi all wondering if you can help me how can you tell when the outer bolts are tight enough  carnet use a  torque  wrench on them 

also whats the best way to seal it  gaskets ore silicon or both i usually smear the gaskets with silicone let them dry then put them on

thanks dave

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
Re: rocker box cover
« Reply #1 on: 01.01. 2011 16:30 »
Hi Dave. I generally don,t bother with paper gaskets I just use silcone sealer used sparingly. I use paper on the rocker covers because of having to remove them for tappet adjustment.
 Re the bolt torque, I have been messing around with nuts and bolts ( not just on bikes) for over 40 years and I would suggest (although there will be those who disagree with me), that I can tighten a bolt to fairly near its correct torque just by feel. If you cannot do this I would suggest fitting some bolts into holes in scrap metal and tighten them by hand and then compare this by checking with a torgue wrench. I think you will begin to get a "feel" for it also not just relying on the torgue wrench.  The main thing to remember is that tapped holes in alloy will easily strip if overtightened. All the Best and happy new year.
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline sinbad

• Uk north west coast
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 01.01. 2011 18:44 »
Hi Dave I agree With Goldy silicone sealer is great, use it on my S7 rocker box which only has 3 studs tends to warp very easily. I drilled the nuts to fit locking wire no need to tighten them very much,I just use copper wire stripped from electrical cable , has worked fine for many years.Cheers.
Rod
1960 A10                             1998 Honda Cb 500
1953 sunbeam s7                   1988 Mz 250
1953 Nsu Consul 500 single        Jzr cx 500 Trike

Offline rocket man

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 01.01. 2011 19:39 »
thanks guys for your help happy new year

dave

Offline dpaddock

• NC, USA
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 02.01. 2011 13:37 »
I prefer to use Permatex Ultra or Hylomar (its predecessor); it's easier to remove and clean up than silicone RTV is.

David
David
'57 Spitfire