Author Topic: A7/10 Plunger Brake Pedal play?  (Read 1277 times)

Offline RoadRunner

• A's Good Friend
  • Thinking Time
A7/10 Plunger Brake Pedal play?
« on: 03.01. 2011 18:10 »
Happy New Year to all  *smile*

Having sourced a NOS staight brake pedal operating lever, part number 67-7027 (opposed to curved lever) I still have a considerable amount of side to side play when fitted. Some of this will 'go' I hope when all connected up - question is, is there a way of reducing this by sleeving the tube on the frame - if so how, since it would have to be micro thin?  Or am I expecting too much out of the old beast and will have to live with it? More importantly, does this get checked in the MOT which may occur this year??

Cheers
Road Runner

Offline holland

• Moving Up
Re: A7/10 Plunger Brake Pedal play?
« Reply #1 on: 03.01. 2011 21:52 »
hello roadrunner,had the same problem with my brake pedal (a10 plunger), had it fixt by reaming out the frame bush and pressed a new bronse bush in it and then reamed to the seize of the axle from the brake pedal,you need a bush made to your own specification (mine was 3mm bigger than axle) so the wall is 1,5mm thick.this is strong enough and doesn't fragile the frame bush (lug) before reaming it to seize from the axle, drill the oilhole through the bronse bush so it can be lubricated.(after pressing it in).it workt for me and have now a fine playless brake pedal.you need a adjustible reamer to.I'm new to the forum and trying to get pictures on ,when this acceeds i will send you one (looks just like a small end bush) good luck with it.          greets alex

Offline iansoady

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 04.01. 2011 16:18 »
When I was an impecunious lad I used to "fix" things like that with a couple of lengths of steel measuring tape wedged between the pivot pin & its housing.

But I wouldn't recommend it.

Alex's fix is nicer and will work better.
Ian.
1962 Golden Flash (arrived)
1955 Velo Viper/Venom (departed)
2004 Triumph Tiger 955i (staying)

Offline RoadRunner

• A's Good Friend
  • Thinking Time
« Reply #3 on: 05.01. 2011 09:59 »
Thanks Guys - now asking around friends for loan of a reamer and will no doubt spend some time at my local bearing shop sourcing a bush. There's always jsut one more thing to do....

But I really do appreciate all the advice, hints and tips as well as reading about all the other 'issues' other have had.

Cheers *smiley4*

Offline holland

• Moving Up
« Reply #4 on: 15.03. 2011 20:59 »
hello,roadrunner, promised you pictures of mine solution to brake pedal play.sorry it took so long,maybe others have the same problem, the pictures can help, gr alex

Offline RoadRunner

• A's Good Friend
  • Thinking Time
« Reply #5 on: 15.03. 2011 22:05 »
Hi Alex,
Thanks for the pics, that bush looks like it will last a life time! - I managed to get my brake sort of sorted, but it's not perfect - I'm no engineer; I reamed the lug out and inserted a split bush (glacier?) sourced from Bearing Boys at very little cost  (<£2!) The bush is waffer thin - good job really since the lug appears to be thinner than yours. Anyway the upshot is that there is a lot less play in the pedal than before which has to be positive.
Learning point - get these things sorted first rather than leaving it until its nearly completed! (Doh...what project management??) I'll know for the next project :!

Cheers
RoadRunner

Offline holland

• Moving Up
« Reply #6 on: 16.03. 2011 20:13 »
Hello roadrunner,about project managment ,17 years ago i dismanteld the bike for stove ennamal the frame,last year i had the time to put the bike together ( after marriage , kids,rebuilding a house) and checked the frame, the plunjer section was bend for a half inch, the frame was allready stoved ,never thought about it to check this.I have loads of work on the bike and again on the frame ,so your not alone who makes mistakes gr alex.