Author Topic: wet sumping  (Read 7025 times)

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: wet sumping
« Reply #15 on: 05.01. 2011 08:38 »
Wise words Trev, worth a point.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline anjimehra

• Valued Contributor
    • venture on wheels
« Reply #16 on: 05.01. 2011 09:28 »
Hi guys
Had fit a new non retrn valve + spring during the rebuild & also tapped the ball to make a seating, but it still wet sumps if left idle for a month. Am in the process of fitting a microswitch arrangement along with a tap on my Flash to avoid wet sumping.When turned off, the tap lever will operate the microswitch, which in turn will earth the mag so the bike cannot be started if the tap is off . Will let you know what happens. Anybody has  any past experience with this arrangement, before I screw up the engine !!!
Anji

Offline lawnmowerman

• Resident Legend
  • 1959 Super Rocket. Kent, England
« Reply #17 on: 05.01. 2011 09:49 »
Hi Anji

I researched this a while ago on this post: http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php/topic,2563.msg16547.html#msg16547 I plan to fit a valve with switch, filter and OPG. I have not done the work yet but this post has some very useful information and advice from other forum members.

Jim
1959 A10 SR
1938 Wolseley 14/60
1955 Ferguson TEF20 tractor
1965 Ferguson 135 tractor
1952 Matchless G80 rigid
1960 BMW R60
1954 Matchless G80S
1955 Ariel 500 VH
1951 Sunbeam S7DL
1960 Matchless G12 with Watsonian Monza
......and loads of lawnmowers

Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die  (Jethro Tull 1976)

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
« Reply #18 on: 05.01. 2011 09:54 »
Anji, afaik taps like that are readily available.
It definitely is the better solution compared to one of those spring loaded (doomsday) anti drain valves. Another good idea is to fit a rubber strap or something from the kickstart lever to the tap, so that the latter will be opened automatically when the bike is kickstarted (in case you should forget to open it and the switch has failed, which could happen as well).

BUT: There is one important issue that people tend to forget: If you have the tap closed, all the oil behind it will drain into the sump, so the feed line and oil pump will be pretty much empty after a few days. So in order to prime the pump and get all the air out, I would open the tap at least several hours (or better a day) before starting the bike!!!

Generally I'd rather invest a few minutes in draining the sump than trusting ANY kind of tap or valve in the oil feed line.

Just my 2p worth, as per usual.  *smile*
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

www.histo-tech.at - Restoration, Repairs, Racing

Austria

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #19 on: 05.01. 2011 11:51 »
Re MG's point about temporary starvation due to the oi-feed line being empty on the engine side of the tap, I (being paranoid) always open the taps on my AMC twins (Trev is so right about them, they're quite notorious) a bit ahead of myself, to be sure of a loaded feed pump before starting. Been doing that for years, plus rigged up a mag earth (in the style of the taps available from Dove and others mentioned ages ago in the linked thread). Although draining is attractive, it's a bit of a palaver as well as messy depending on what bungs are where - and it means washing rural waste products off the underbellies.
Funnily enough, my A seems to behave well if left at tdc per LJ's comment, but isn't a bad offender even at its worst to be fair. Seem to recall there may be other reasons NOT to leave engines deliberately at tdc though, although I can't think what they are now and I've never had any trouble.
My worst wet-sumper is without doubt a Norton Atlas engine, which I am resigned to draining after leaving standing for any length of time. Massive spanner needed for that, too.
My best is my alternator B31, which never ever lets a single drop drip down, and has yet to use any oil at all, nary a single tiny drop, between 1000 mile changes. Stunning, probably a measure of luck involved (piston from Draganfly, a nice rebore and new valves and guides about 10k miles ago) - and my favourite all-time bike even if it is slow. (I know . . .  I need a B33 and/or to get out more).
Bill

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
« Reply #20 on: 05.01. 2011 12:05 »
Yup, leaving the crank on TDC also helps on my As.
Some people are concerned about their mags doing so, since the armature is not short-circuiting the magnetic flux at TDC and that can foster the loss of magnetism in the permanent magnets over time. But so far I have found that this is not really an issue with the K2Fs, since they are using the more modern AlNiCo magnets, which tend to keep their magnetism much better than the old ferritic material. On real old magnets (pre-war), the magnet will loose its power within seconds when taken off the mag body and not being placed on a magnetic keeper.
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

www.histo-tech.at - Restoration, Repairs, Racing

Austria

Offline iansoady

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #21 on: 05.01. 2011 12:16 »
For those who say valves don't work I'd just mention Velo Venoms and Vipers which had such a valve fitted from new, and have a gear oil pump similar to the A10. I've never heard of a problem from them.

I had a valve fitted to my Commando for 10 years with no issues at all.

IMO the problem arises when people don't ensure the pipe below the valve is full of oil before starting the engine, so the pump tries to suck air which then doesn't produce a low enough pressure to pull the ball off its seat.
Ian.
1962 Golden Flash (arrived)
1955 Velo Viper/Venom (departed)
2004 Triumph Tiger 955i (staying)

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 05.01. 2011 20:07 »
Ian,
        Tell us all how you go about ensuring that there is oil between the valve and the oil pump.
Trev.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: 05.01. 2011 21:29 »
Tell you what - this is not exactly an oil thread but almost   *computer* *problem* *fight**lol*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #24 on: 05.01. 2011 21:36 »
Hi All,
Groily, you can buy a Norton big plug thingy with a small drainplug in the centre !! or easy enough to modify one so you are not constantly pulling on the threads in the crankcase ????

To the best of my knowledge, Norton, Velo and others have Iron bodied pumps?
BSA's are as I have said before are made of "compressed monkey dung" *ex*
and they leak and can be porous as well, so they are poorer than others at sucking a prime when a "tap or valve" is fitted!!!

Regards
John O R
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #25 on: 05.01. 2011 21:43 »
made of "compressed monkey dung"
*smile* lol+ Yes, the pump look like it may fall apart anytime. Regarding wetsumping, that's one problem I never had with normal or sporadic use (could stay still for weeks \ month or two with minimal oil tank drain). Mainly used 40 oil all the time, changed often. Never thought of needing any valve.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #26 on: 05.01. 2011 21:45 »
HI All
Yup, my Brothers SR threw a rod and the cause was down to a porus pump body *eek*

John O R
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #27 on: 05.01. 2011 22:43 »
If there is one 'Good' thing about draining out the oil from the sump and that is the possible discovery of petrol! Your taps might not be leaking externally and appear quite dry to the touch, but if the float needle in the carb is also leaky then you could find that petrol is getting past and running down past the pistons and into the sump. I have found this once and have been lucky.  *eek*
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline anjimehra

• Valued Contributor
    • venture on wheels
« Reply #28 on: 06.01. 2011 07:48 »
Anji, afaik taps like that are readily available.
It definitely is the better solution compared to one of those spring loaded (doomsday) anti drain valves. Another good idea is to fit a rubber strap or something from the kickstart lever to the tap, so that the latter will be opened automatically when the bike is kickstarted (in case you should forget to open it and the switch has failed, which could happen as well).

BUT: There is one important issue that people tend to forget: If you have the tap closed, all the oil behind it will drain into the sump, so the feed line and oil pump will be pretty much empty after a few days. So in order to prime the pump and get all the air out, I would open the tap at least several hours (or better a day) before starting the bike!!!

Generally I'd rather invest a few minutes in draining the sump than trusting ANY kind of tap or valve in the oil feed line.

Just my 2p worth, as per usual.  *smile*

Hi MG
Thanks for the feedback. Hadnt thought about the line being empty after a long shutdown.Will keep this in mind when I go through with the mod.Thanks
Anji

Offline iansoady

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #29 on: 06.01. 2011 10:57 »
Ian,
        Tell us all how you go about ensuring that there is oil between the valve and the oil pump.
Trev.

The Velo valve is fitted immediately below the oil tank.

Remove the pipe from the union and carefully fill the pipe. I used a small syringe like the ones you get with inkjet printer refilling kits. It takes a while and is fiddly but easy enough.

For the in-line one fitted to the Commando the easiest way was to dismantle the valve and fill it up through that.

If you think about it, provided the top of the valve is always below the oil level in the tank, the pipe is full on assembly, and all the joints are well made, there is no way air can be sucked into the region between the valve and the pump.

I've never actually seen a convincing documented failure which can definitely be put down to one of these valves failing. But of course, as with anything else, I'm open to persuasion.
Ian.
1962 Golden Flash (arrived)
1955 Velo Viper/Venom (departed)
2004 Triumph Tiger 955i (staying)