Author Topic: Breather-Tank  (Read 5642 times)

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
Re: Breather-Tank
« Reply #15 on: 13.01. 2011 11:55 »
Thanks for the thoughts. There are a lot of Beesas in Brissie.

However this is the norm for the swing year.
What was really lucky was that we did not swing last year when the planets were in alignment with the moon and the tides were really really big.
If it was not that Warragamba was drained a few years back to do some work on the wall to protect houses that should never have been built on flood prone land then Sydney would have flooded this year as well.

We used to have planning laws that prevented residences being built in 1:100 year flood zones.
But arsehole developers took this ruleing to court and had it over turned in favour of a 1:50 on the grounds that we only had 120 years of data. Bet some thick brown envelopes changed hands with that one.
Latter on another bunch of developers did the same with the 1:50 so now 30% of Sydney is built on 1:20 flood zones.

The same story applies to Brisbane.
Look at the photos carefully . You will see a lot of "Queenslander's" sitting proud of the water on their stilts.
However there was not enough profit for Hooker & their cohorts building appropriate housing as it is a lot cheaper to build Californian bungalows on concrete plates so now 1/2 the city is wipped out. Bet none of the developers gives a red cent towards the catostrophie that they created but they will be front row demanding that the government spends billions on flood mitigation to fix their problem.

I was around 10 in the 60's when dad's boat got commandeered to rescue families along the Georges river in Sydney. I manned the tiller as dad could not go as the last time it got borrowed it took over a year to get it back. Some thin g that I will never forget.  Five new housing suburbs have been built on the land that we sailed over in the mean time and a lot of the new owners were not born when that happened.

In the 80's I could not go home for a week as the Nepean river had flooded over the highway & railway bridges & Penrith.
The RTA ( road building dept) then rengineered the new crossing raising it nearly 20 meters .
From the embankment you look down on the roofs of another 4 suburban housing developements, river on one side & mountain wall on the other, a disaster in the making, just waiting for the right conditions.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #16 on: 13.01. 2011 12:11 »
Yep I agree Trevor. The reason land is flat along a river is that over thousands of years floods have made it that way. I live on a hill above sunami level.
Not much point washing the bikes. It's rained here nearly every day for 2 months. Come on winter.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline peter

• Moving Up
  • Aadorf in Switzerland
« Reply #17 on: 22.06. 2012 21:13 »
My BSA Goldflash A10 1954 loses als all other oil from breatherhole.I built from stainless steel an small breather oiltank, I mounted it below the motorcycle frame. I installed an copper breather-tube from breatherhole to the breather oiltank.Breather oiltank has an outlet to the street.
It works very well, my bike is`t losing oil on the floor anymore, yupee!
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 350
1956 AJS 18s
1949 Royal Enfield 500 J2
1954 Golden Flash 650
1985 Virago V1000
2001 Wildstar V1600
1966 Velosolex 50
1999 Virago XV 1100
2012 Kawasaki W800
2016 KTM Duke 390

Offline DazSeaton

• Nottingham, England
  • A's Good Friend
  • 1959 BitSA Super Rocket
« Reply #18 on: 16.04. 2013 22:02 »
Hi all,
I need a temporary fix to stop my A10 super rocket using more oil than petrol. I currently have a 5/16 copper pipe in the breather venting to the floor. When I get home after a run, its pouring out. I'm sure I aligned the marks on all the cogs correctly and the breather sleeve is nice and tighty. Also checked my scavenger pickup in the sump and that is okay too. If it didnt leak oil it wouldn't be a beesa.  *smile*
My question is, does the beer can/jam jar/washing up bottle have to be lower than the breather outlet hole on the crankcase or doesn't it matter. Will the pressure force the oil up a pipe and into my chosen recepticle? I see alot of bikes with a pipe routed round the mudguard and out the back which is obviously higher than the outlet hole.
cheers
Darren
If you don't start, I'm going to give you a damn good thrashing!!!

1959 BSA Super Rocket 650
2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250 SA

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #19 on: 16.04. 2013 22:16 »
G'day Darren. Is the oil returning to the tank at all? It could be sending most of the oil to the rocker box. The stand pipe in the tank (where you see oil returning) might be blocked.
Your breather pipe can go anywhere, it will pump it up.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #20 on: 17.04. 2013 02:01 »

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline DazSeaton

• Nottingham, England
  • A's Good Friend
  • 1959 BitSA Super Rocket
« Reply #21 on: 17.04. 2013 13:07 »
G'day Darren. Is the oil returning to the tank at all? It could be sending most of the oil to the rocker box. The stand pipe in the tank (where you see oil returning) might be blocked.
Your breather pipe can go anywhere, it will pump it up.
Cheers
muskrat
yes, I have a good return to the oil tank. Gave the tank a good clean over the winter.
thanks for the info.
Darren
If you don't start, I'm going to give you a damn good thrashing!!!

1959 BSA Super Rocket 650
2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250 SA

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 17.04. 2013 16:44 »
Reading with interest about breathers. On my semi unit-construction plunger engine the pipe that comes through the bottom of the oil tank and then down to the engine sprocket is venting the oil tank so is the crankcase pressure relieved via the return oil flow? If so the oil pump is getting assistance from crankcase pressure.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash