Author Topic: Swing arm change from solid to hollow spindle  (Read 4717 times)

Offline duncan32bsa

• duncan32
  • Moving Up
    • Duncan Family Website
Re: Swing arm change from solid to hollow spindle
« Reply #15 on: 18.01. 2011 08:50 »
Hi Bob,
Well, I've passed the point of no return now. I've reamed out the pivot holes to take the bigger shaft and the swinging arm looks nice and central at the back. Slightly dubious about the amount of metal remaining around now I've made the holes bigger - probably just over 6mm at the narrowest point.

Regarding John's suggestion, actually I have no idea how the tell the difference between a gas and an electric weld fillet. The fillets on my frame are neat and have a 'typical' ripple around the circumference. Maybe I'll post some pictures later.

If you were right about the frame provenance it might explain another issue I've got with the steering stem. The fork trousers are too short (6mm) to reach the bottom of the top fork yoke. Do you know if the 'steering stem holder' is the same depth on all these frames? If it was deeper than the 1960 one it would explain the problem. Of course, it could be that I've got the wrong trousers!

Cheers
Gary
1960 Golden Flash
1971 Norton Commando
2010 Triumph Tiger

Offline iansoady

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #16 on: 18.01. 2011 12:59 »
Of course, it could be that I've got the wrong trousers!

Cheers
Gary

Ian.
1962 Golden Flash (arrived)
1955 Velo Viper/Venom (departed)
2004 Triumph Tiger 955i (staying)

Offline duncan32bsa

• duncan32
  • Moving Up
    • Duncan Family Website
« Reply #17 on: 18.01. 2011 13:11 »
He's the one I bought the bike off!
1960 Golden Flash
1971 Norton Commando
2010 Triumph Tiger

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 19.01. 2011 20:02 »
Gary,
            Does your frame have a sidecar lug in the left rear loop?
Check the gap between the battery platform mounting brackets and the frame cross member, it is different for CA7 and GA7 frames.
Trev.

Offline Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #19 on: 19.01. 2011 20:56 »
Another small point, if you are going to use the cable operated rear brake dont forget to weld the outer cable stop on the frame before you get it painted.

Offline duncan32bsa

• duncan32
  • Moving Up
    • Duncan Family Website
« Reply #20 on: 20.01. 2011 20:03 »
Hi All,
I don't think it has side car lugs but then I don't know what they look like...
Funnily enough, there is a slightly larger gap around the battery tray than I would have expected - almost as though a small spacer is missing even though there isn't one shown in the parts books.
I'ver attached a general picture of the frame with the swing arm finally attached : ) I don't know if that helps roughly date it.
I've also attached a very poorly focused picture of the headstock welding for an opinion on whether it is gas or electric!
Regarding the yokes, I'm coming round to the idea that although the bottom one is probably the wrong p/n, it probably doesn't affect the yoke spacing as they all seem to be the same length more or less, going by the replies I've received from evil bay sellers anyway. I emailed Lauren at Draganfly about the length of the yoke 'trousers' and the gap I see and she has told me that it is definitely too short, even though for the life of me I can't see how it has been shortened. I have ordered a replacement part but I'm slightly nervous that when it turns up, it'll be just he same as mine. Lauren has said that the top of the trousers down to the centre of the lower clamp hole should be 20cm and mine is only 16.25cm. The strange thing is the hole for the headlamp top hat looks to be roughly the right distance from the top, judging by the pictures in the parts books. Soon find out.
As for the cable stop, the frame is already painted, so it looks like another thing to sort out : (
Thanks for all your help chaps.
Gary
1960 Golden Flash
1971 Norton Commando
2010 Triumph Tiger

Offline trevinoz

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 20.01. 2011 20:28 »
Gary,
           Having looked at your frame, I am fairly sure that it is CA7.
There is no sidecar lug in the frame loop and there is a large gap between the battery platform brackets and the cross tube which are CA7 features.
It also has no steering lock which was introduced in 1955 but has the cast front engine mount lugs which were brought in in '55.
Which centre stand do you have? The one for this frame is the one with the sharp feet.
I can't see which side the centre stand spring anchor is on but CA7 is on the right and GA7 on the left.
I would hazard a guess and say that your frame is gas welded, electric welded frames usually have a bit of spatter around the welds.
Trev.

Offline duncan32bsa

• duncan32
  • Moving Up
    • Duncan Family Website
« Reply #22 on: 20.01. 2011 21:15 »
Hi Trev,
THis is a pic of the stand prior to dismantling.
Cheers
Gary
1960 Golden Flash
1971 Norton Commando
2010 Triumph Tiger

Offline trevinoz

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: 20.01. 2011 21:28 »
Gary,
             The spring is on the right side as I suspected.
It looks like there is some sort of bodgie device to secure the spring to the stand, which is the later type.
I think the stand has been fitted wrong way around to lie up with the spring anchor.
I would suspect that the stand pivot point has been modified to fit this stand.
Fun, isn't it?
Trev.

Offline duncan32bsa

• duncan32
  • Moving Up
    • Duncan Family Website
« Reply #24 on: 20.01. 2011 22:08 »
Hi Trev,
Great Fun.
The main thing for me now is to make sure I can eventually convert it into the 1960 machine it is registered as!
Cheers
Gary
: )
1960 Golden Flash
1971 Norton Commando
2010 Triumph Tiger