Author Topic: Battery carrier position ? oil tank bracket  (Read 2729 times)

Offline nigeldtr

• A's Good Friend
Battery carrier position ? oil tank bracket
« on: 15.01. 2011 19:31 »
Battery carrier position ? oil tank bracket

I am starting to put right a dog of a GF and have loads to do. As you can see from the pictures it was painted black over silver with oil tank etc still in place *eek*. As I work on this bike the more bodges I find. Anyway can anyone tell if the battery carrier is in the correct position? I am missing the oil tank fixings (was held on with cable ties, different thread) and if someone has a picture or two with the oil tank either on or off showing the position of the battery tray and the oil tank mounting bracket, I would be most grateful.

Regards

Nigel
1951 Golden Flash (engine now rebuilt) 1953 M21 a pain to start and 1961 GF that is turning into a black hole!

Online scotty

• Resident Legend
Re: Battery carrier position ? oil tank bracket
« Reply #1 on: 15.01. 2011 22:00 »
Nigel,

Your battery carrier mounting lugs attached to the frame look about right.

I don't have a battery tray pic but here's some pics of the the oil tank fixing bracket and oil tank both on and off the frame .

Scotty

Current liabilities:
'56 A10 Dark Flash
'54 B33
‘74 Berlin Bomber R75-6

Offline nigeldtr

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 16.01. 2011 12:14 »
Hi Scotty,

Really appreciate the pictures now I m in the picture! - like the helping hands (I didn't know he was as a BSA fan)

Regards

Nigel
1951 Golden Flash (engine now rebuilt) 1953 M21 a pain to start and 1961 GF that is turning into a black hole!

Offline nigeldtr

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 17.01. 2011 21:09 »
Scotty,

Could you photograph the bracket flat for me perhaps on a piece of paper with a scale on. I found some steel plate in the work shop and I will see if I can make one. I will use the picture as a template.

Thanks Nigel

PS also sent you a mail.

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 17.01. 2011 23:25 »
Hi Nigel, Scotty
I do not think the photo is showing the correct way to assemble the mounting???
The rubber bush should sit inside the cup washer
There should be a steel tube that goes over the T bolt holding the washer with the cutaway up against the oiltank loops
this steel tube goes through the rubber tube and then a large OD washer pushes the rubber into the cup and the nut washer tightens against the end of the tube
This provides a rubber in compression mounting for the tank
Every BSA I get to work on has this assembly put together incorrectly *eek*

Attached is a scan from the parts book that shows the correct sequence of assembly

HTH
John O R
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online scotty

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 18.01. 2011 00:09 »
John,
I stand corrected (said the man in the orthopedic shoes)...Your absolutely right...the assembly does look a bit odd doesn't it.
thanks for the heads up.

Nigel
I'm currently out at sea for a week with no access to bsa bits but I will gladly scribble something down for you re: the oil mounting bracket upon my return to dry land.

Scotty

Current liabilities:
'56 A10 Dark Flash
'54 B33
‘74 Berlin Bomber R75-6

Online scotty

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 22.01. 2011 02:20 »
Nigel

it's a bit of an odd thingy but here's some measurements on the photo

I should add that the bracket material is 3.5mm in thickness and 6.3mm thick where the mounting bolts thread in (looks like a couple of washers brazed there to get the depth for the captive thread)

i also added a pic of the bracket when it was removed from the bike years ago with a more correct looking mounting thingy

Scotty

Current liabilities:
'56 A10 Dark Flash
'54 B33
‘74 Berlin Bomber R75-6

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 22.01. 2011 13:26 »
Just in case you just wanted to buy one, here it is at British Only Austria.
http://www.vintage-motorcycle.com/index.php?language=en&site=4&pid=198&id=423&suchtext=bsa bracket&limit=0

(Taking nothing away from Scotty's excellent and generously provided drawing.)

Richard L.

Offline nigeldtr

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 22.01. 2011 17:45 »
Guys,

I really do appreciate the help on this. Every thing on this A10 seems to be either knackered or tighten up with a chisel *rant*. I had a good mind to just get rid of it but I hate to see things like this in circulation a bit like a homeless dog with sad eyes staring at you. I will just have to spend the next few years and loads of money sorting it out. Scotty thanks for the detailed picture, I will print it out and have a session in the work shop (once I have finished the bathroom).

Nigel

Offline Blackcat

• Active
« Reply #9 on: 23.01. 2011 21:59 »
Hi!

I?m afraid your battery carrier does have a problem! It seems to have been cut down/lowered presumably to get a larger battery or other electrical gear in.

What year is your bike? The earlier type of battery carrier is still available, see:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BSA-A7-A10-GOLDSTAR-RGS-BATTERY-TRAY-NEW-42-4515-/250760241277?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3a6279a07d

There is also a later type for post 59 (?) models:I hope this is useful

regards

Martin

Offline nigeldtr

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #10 on: 24.01. 2011 21:20 »
Hello Martin,

Thanks for the info and pictures. Yuup the bottom mounting holes have been chopped off - O well perhaps I can at least fit a bigger battery! (1961 GF - well was once upon a time!)