Author Topic: Plunger Suspension Bushes  (Read 1513 times)

Offline Howard

• A's Good Friend
Plunger Suspension Bushes
« on: 18.01. 2011 21:14 »
I have dismantled the Plunger Suspension on my A7. The Long Stem ( called the Carrier Column Assembly) is pitted and worn, also I would like to replace the bushes, in the parts book the bushes come complete with the Plunger Tube. Is there anything stopping me getting an engineer to just turn up some bushes ? and also turn up the carrier column. This carrier column is a hollow tube, could it be made out of a solid bar ?
If anyone has info on this it would be gratefully appreciated.

Offline RoadRunner

• A's Good Friend
  • Thinking Time
Re: Plunger Suspension Bushes
« Reply #1 on: 18.01. 2011 21:29 »
Hi Howard,
The bushes should be available, I bought a set many years ago, can't remember where from - Doh!
As for the centre columns you may be able to get a complete set (including bushes) from Draganfly M/C spares; my centre coulmns were also worn so I had them hard chromed which wasn't cheap but will hopefully last a long time.

If making you're own coulmns I think you'd need to consider what materials you used - not sure what BSA used originally?? And you'd need to have a large tap for the top plug!

Cheers

RoadRunner

Offline Howard

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 19.01. 2011 09:18 »
Thanks RoadRunner, Yes it does seem an expensive job, however I want it right.

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #3 on: 19.01. 2011 09:35 »
Howard the columns are available from Draganfly for 18.50 quid each and they probably have the bushes as well but if not the bushes are easily made by any engineering company. The bushes press into the plunger tube.

You can get your columns hard chromed and reground but that is a lot more expensive than buying new ones. I had a set done about a year ago here in Aus and they cost me $300.

Offline RoadRunner

• A's Good Friend
  • Thinking Time
« Reply #4 on: 19.01. 2011 11:08 »
Hi,
I seem to recall hard chroming my centre tubes cost around £100/£120  - look good, not ridden the bike yet so who knows how it will perform  ;)

RoadRunner

Offline Howard

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 19.01. 2011 17:56 »
Thanks Guys, I emailed C & D today, they came back with a price of £89 for a full rebuild kit complete , Carrier Columns, Plunger Tubes with Bushes and Column top Chrome Plugs, and all made in the UK so I`ll go with that.