Author Topic: a10 swingarm dimensions  (Read 1253 times)

Offline 1660bob

• A's Good Friend
a10 swingarm dimensions
« on: 19.01. 2011 09:42 »
Hi all, does anybody have a drawing of the late A10 swingarm with dimensions? I have seen the frame drawing but there is no s/arm with it.Is the standard swingarm symetrical or offset (I have noticeably unequal gaps between swingarm tubes and the pillion footrest loops on the frame).I`m trying to figure out why, or are they all like that?Cheers, Bob.

Offline duncan32bsa

• duncan32
  • Moving Up
    • Duncan Family Website
Re: a10 swingarm dimensions
« Reply #1 on: 19.01. 2011 10:43 »
Hi Bob,
I have previously posted a couple of home-made drawings of swinging arms that I have. I'll repost them later if you cannot find them by searching the forum. I noticed that one is very slightly offset compared to the other but I put this down to poor manufacturing... I think they are meant to be symmetrical within the frame. Maybe your SA/frame is bent? I'm not an expert, mind!
I've just fitted my own this week (see my posts about enlarging the pivot holes) and it sits nicely central in the frame.
There's not a lot of clearance between the the swinging arm arms and the frame on mine so an offset would likely be  problem.
regards
Gary
1960 Golden Flash
1971 Norton Commando
2010 Triumph Tiger

Offline duncan32bsa

• duncan32
  • Moving Up
    • Duncan Family Website
« Reply #2 on: 19.01. 2011 10:46 »
Hi Bob,
The thread with the drawings is 'Swing Arm differences' started by Humblepie.
I have autocad versions if you prefer.
Gary
1960 Golden Flash
1971 Norton Commando
2010 Triumph Tiger

Offline 1660bob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 19.01. 2011 11:24 »
Thanks for the info Chaps, I suspected the s/a is symetrical- its true to say there`s not much room for any offset anyway. I noticed when attempting to measure mine that its no use using the end faces of the pivot tube as a datum- they point inwards slightly due to the distortion of the tube when the arms/corner braces were welded on.Distortion that cannot always have been the same both sides.I can only assume BSA bored the tube for the bushes after welding to achieve (bush) alignment. I suspect that during production, manufacturing tolerances did wander away from the drawings somewhat, and pictures of workers trueing up frames in fancy jigs  to 0.0000whatever was probably more sales pitch than reality......... Cheers, Bob