Author Topic: Rocket front guard  (Read 1404 times)

Offline mark

• Melbourne, Australia
  • A's Good Friend
Rocket front guard
« on: 28.01. 2011 01:55 »
Can any one help with the correct front edge for a 55 rocket guard. Mine has been shortened at the front and I am looking at getting a new one made using it as a pattern. I have been told that the front should have a cut edge but photos that I have seen seem to show a rolled edge.
Regards
Mark
1955 Road Rocket
1953 Super Flash
71 Norton Commando Roadster 750
Australia

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
Re: Rocket front guard
« Reply #1 on: 28.01. 2011 11:52 »
I've got a genuine Road Rocket front guard on my later A10 and it's got a rolled edge.  I'll try to upload a picture of it.

Beezageezauk.

Offline mark

• Melbourne, Australia
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 28.01. 2011 22:58 »
Thanks beezageezauk, is yours a road rocket or super rocket guard and is there any difference anyway? The road rocket has a front stay and should have holes for it.  Is there any chance that you could give me a measurement of the overall length of the guard.
Regards
Mark
1955 Road Rocket
1953 Super Flash
Australia

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 29.01. 2011 16:23 »
G'day Mark,

I was (reliably?) informed that it is a Road Rocket front guard and more rounded than a Super Rocket one but I will bow to your opinion.  It was on the bike when I got it and certainly looks the part.

It measures approximately 705mm across the arc.  That is:- from the bottom, close to where the stay fits, straight across to the centre of the rolled edge at the front.

Beezageezauk.

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 29.01. 2011 22:58 »
Mark,
          Have a look at pictures of Shooting Stars from the same era. Same guard and stays from what I have seen.
Beezageeza's guard seems flatter than the original and is missing the front stay as you have pointed out.
The same guard was used on the Super Rocket and Shooting Star in 1958-59.
Trev.

Offline mark

• Melbourne, Australia
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 30.01. 2011 03:39 »
Trev, I'm having difficulty in getting a clear closeup picture of a guard hence my query. The one that I have will give me the correct shape but not the front edge profile. What do you believe to be correct, cut or rolled edge. I think that the gold stars may have had a cut edge but the road rocket should be rolled but I would like to confirm this before I have one made. I just checked my parts book and you are correct as both the rocket and shooting star use front guard 67-6556. My query came after being told by someone who should know that the rocket was different to the shooting star and had a cut front edge buit I'm beginning to doubt this now.

Mark
1955 Road Rocket
1953 Super Flash
Australia

Offline trevinoz

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 30.01. 2011 04:20 »
Mark,
            The guards that myself and a mate are using are the following rough dimensions.
Length around outside radius = 38 1/2"
Width  =  5 1/4"
Depth  =  2 3/8"
These were blank guards which we got from who knows where many years ago but are as close to the original guards dimensions as to be not noticeable.
They have a rolled front edge and are cut to length by yourself. You need to knock an indentation into each side to clear the forks and have to make a reinforcing plate for the rear bottom where the front stand bolts on.
We copied from an original guard.
If you want I can photograph one of mine which is not drilled yet but is going rusty in the shed.
Trev.

Offline mark

• Melbourne, Australia
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 30.01. 2011 05:12 »
Thanks for that Trev, your dimensions are very close to my cut down original, width is the same and my depth is closer to 2 1/4" . The length is what I needed so thanks for that. A photo would be great.
Mark
1955 Road Rocket
1953 Super Flash
Australia

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 30.01. 2011 20:52 »
I would hope most front guards have a rolled edge for avoiding pedestrian slicing purposes!

Offline trevinoz

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 31.01. 2011 05:13 »
Mark,
                Attached are photos of the guard I am going to use on a '54 RR and a '58 SR, after drilling and chroming, of course.
           Trev.

Offline mark

• Melbourne, Australia
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #10 on: 31.01. 2011 09:00 »
Thanks Trev, exactly what I was looking for. I'm going to look at one that Modak has had made in England and if I'm not happy with that I'll get one made and your photos show exactly what I'm after.
Thanks again
Mark
1955 Road Rocket
1953 Super Flash
Australia