Author Topic: Timing side bush vs roller  (Read 3180 times)

Offline Hubie

• Dave Huybens
  • Valued Contributor
Timing side bush vs roller
« on: 31.01. 2011 20:19 »
G'day all,

this is only a hypothetical as no one I know here in Australia does this and I could not probbably afford it anyway *smiley4* but how many of you have done the roller bearing conversion for the timing side main bearing?  What is the general consensus and is the timing side bush fine as long as the oil is changed regularly?

Cheers,
Dave.
1959 BSA Golden Flash
1956 Royal Enfield Super Meteor
1955 Royal Enfield 350 Bullet
2007 Harley Davidson Sportster 1200 Custom

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse get's the cheese!

Offline Stu55Flash

• A's Good Friend
    • Flash Resto
Re: Tming side bush vs roller
« Reply #1 on: 31.01. 2011 23:08 »
I had mine done as the bottom end need regrinding anyway and it was only £60 extra over just redoing with the solid bearing.  I didn't ride the bike before the conversion so don't know what it was like before but is goes pretty well through the gears. I can only compare it japanese bikes of the late 70s and early 80s and it compares well to these. I'm still working it up from a full nut and bolt rebuild so I haven't pushed it to the max. Rob Wardle from Newcastle UK did the bottom end. We have a local engine recon man in Whitehaven who is also a classic bike enthusiast. He says its not worth it unless your going short circuit racing as a new solid bearing would out live me for the amount of use I give the bike! He does the solid bearing rework but not the end feed conversion.

I expect others have direct experience of running both.

Stu

"Keep a distance from lady "L" drivers in cars. Some are not mechanically minded, are slow to acquire road sense, an are apt to panic..." The Pitman Book of the BSA Twins.
Golden Flash Plunger 1955, Francis Barnett Falcon 67 1954, Ferguson TEA Tractor 1951. Looking for another project!

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 31.01. 2011 23:26 »
G'day Dave,
                I had mine done by Dean Harrison in WA back in '90. Just done a quick google with no results. His work was very similar to the late BSABILL. It worked great in my race motor once I figured out how to stop it blowing the seal.
 Both mine are running the bush at present, the '51 since '84. With regular oil changes and a good filter they should last a very long time. But in saying that I intend to convert the cafe at it's next re-build.
 Hows yous coming along ?
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 01.02. 2011 00:28 »
Hi Muskrat,
Please elaborate on the "blown seal". What seal exactly, and what was your solution?
Thanks,
Rickity Dick

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 01.02. 2011 04:08 »
Please elaborate on the "blown seal". What seal exactly, and what was your solution?

I think it against forum etiquette to mention horizon and Penguin jokes - so I wont
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 01.02. 2011 04:34 »
Muskrat,
Bsa-bill is being a naughty boy; mine was a serious enquiry re the sealing issue of the timing cover for the roller bearing conversion.

Bill, you have distracted me; what can I say but:

"Mary had a little lamb
It ran into a pylon.
10,000 volts went up its a#@e
And turned its wool to nylon."

Richard

Offline Hubie

• Dave Huybens
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 01.02. 2011 06:19 »
G'day Musky,

My rebuild is going very slowly.  I have my new crank thanks to Terry K but I am currently saving up for some bits and pieces I need to finish the job as well as to save for the crank rebuild and balance.  Problem is I have rates to pay, two regos and a rather ugly power bill so the rebuild will have to wait a bit but I am over the moon to have such a good crank to start with.

Cheers,
Dave.
1959 BSA Golden Flash

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 01.02. 2011 10:10 »
And turned its wool to nylon."

so that's how they get that Astrocan stuff then!

Sorry Muskrat for temporary diversion, and Dave a lot of us getting draw dropping energy bills these days, we need to pinch Richard's windmill
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 01.02. 2011 12:06 »
I had to make this choice recently when my timing side bush became worn. Obviously when these bikes were made they were all running about with a plain bearing without any problem. The reason mine failed (as advised by others on this forum) was because of incorrect fitting. This time I have fitted an undersize bronze bush supplied by C & D autos. I reamed out one of the bottom crank case joint stud holes and made up a fitted stud as I don,t think the locating dowels are good enough. I then got it machined on a vertical borer and had it in line bored inline with the bearing side and with just under one thou clearance on the spindle. It turns over nicely in the cases but not got it all back together yet, but I think that this is the important part ie correct fitting.
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline beezalex

• North Carolina, USA
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 01.02. 2011 14:16 »
Properly done and run with filtered oil, the TS bush will be very durable.  Unfortunately, they aren't always done properly and the often get dirty oil in them and well, they don't last very long then.
Alex

Too many BSA's

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #10 on: 01.02. 2011 19:09 »
G'day Richard,
                   the oil was fed through a bridge attached to the pump and into the quill on the crank. The seal kept either popping out or turning inside out. I made a bush to replace it. All worked well but I was a little worried that crank flex would either loosen the bridge or break off the quill. Neither happened.
Do you know if the Harrison's are still in business? Synthetic Lube in Maddington.
 Cross a sheep with a roo and get a woolly jumper. Not that I need one, it's too bl@@dy hot here.
 I hope Terry and Josh have their bikes well protected from the storm about to hit.
  Dave, I know what you mean. I have 6 rego's and only 1/2 way with the mortgage.
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Hubie

• Dave Huybens
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 01.02. 2011 19:32 »
Too true mate but I'll get there.  I'm hoping to have her up and running before the All British Rally so that I can take her up there.  To all you boys up in Queensland, bunker down well and survive that bloody cyclone!  The last thing you fellas needed after the floods!
1959 BSA Golden Flash

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 01.02. 2011 22:27 »
Hi Muskrat,
Just spoke to Josh; he and his family are going to ride the cyclone out!
They are 15 km out of Cairns, with "some" protection in a valley.
Cyclone is now rated as severe catagory 5 (winds > 300 km/hr).
He has promised to put the A10 under the bed.
Good luck to our North Queensland friends!
Richard

Offline terryk

• Valued Contributor
  • Townsville Queensland Australia
« Reply #13 on: 02.02. 2011 06:23 »
Yikes its the biggest cyclone in size that we have ever had and Australia hasnt had a cat 5 cyclone in strength sinse 1918. I hope my shed holds up. I will know by tomorrow. There might be BSA spares all over QLD flying thru the air. So keep a look out you might find that spare you've been searching for.
Terry in Queensland OZ
1950-53 A10 rigid/plungers, 1958-61 A10 super rockets, 1947-50 A7 longstrokes, 1949 Star twin,
1951-54 A7 plungers, 1940s M21, WDM20s,
1948-50s B33s rigid/plunger/swingarm, 1948-50s b31s rigid/plunger/swingarm

Offline Hubie

• Dave Huybens
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #14 on: 02.02. 2011 07:29 »
Keep Safe Terry,

That thing looks bloody awful and I truly hope you and the others come out of it as unscathed as is humanly possible.

Cheers,
Dave.
1959 BSA Golden Flash