Author Topic: A10 petrol Tank petseal  (Read 3462 times)

Offline old PJ

• Moving Up
A10 petrol Tank petseal
« on: 09.12. 2007 19:05 »
Hi All has anybody used petseal in the petrol tank as i have clean my tank out today and put the petseal in the tank its not set at all i have put the tank near the heater to get the 21c as instructions but its not setting the tank was clean and dry the mixing dish that i did the mix in has set nice and hard . The instruction  has given 24 hrs with 21c room temp i can only hope this will work .

Old PJ

G/F DAVE

Re: A10 petrol Tank petseal
« Reply #1 on: 09.12. 2007 19:28 »
Hi.PJ I have used this recently on a yamaha srx400 tank I used a hot air gun to blow a little heat into tank thru filler hole till it started to cure & set then I left it for two days before I put petrol in tank, still leaked thru pin holes & had to resort to a epoxy seal on the outside of tank.Wish I had now brazed in new metal & resprayed tank.I guess this stuff is ok if you have a tank which is rusted internally just to seal it but I doubt it,s ability to seal a tank. Hope you dont have same problem as once you have this stuff inside a tank you can,t really weld repair it .Good luck Dave..

Offline old PJ

• Moving Up
« Reply #2 on: 09.12. 2007 19:39 »
Hi Dave the tank had no leaks but it was rusty inside wish i had not put this petseal in the tank if it dont set hard  what do i do next ?????.

Thanks
PJ   

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 09.12. 2007 19:58 »
PJ,

I am not familiar with Petseal, however. I suspect it will setup in time. Two-part systems often take longer than advertised to harden, particularly if the ambient air temperature is close to the lowest recommended temperature allowed for use (often, around 50 deg. F.). If you are within the allowed temperature, be patient, I would not accelerate with a heat gun. Raising the air temperature in the room would be better. Assuming it hardens and still leaks, I would go with Caswell's tank sealer shown at http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/epoxygas.htm. I wish I could have recommended this to you before the fact. I used it and am very happy. However, I only have the one experience with the product and it hasn't been in place a long time. I believe there are some more testimonials on the Caswells site. For those of you who may not be familiar with this company, you will find their do-it-yourself chrome plating kits very interesting.

If the product does not harden, we have a problem. At that point you will need to determine if there is a solvent that will dissolve the semi-hardened muck, then flood the tank with the solvent, allowing soaking time. All this is said with strong cautions. Whatever solvent, if any, that works will be very volitile and noxious. Please be careful. Test the usefulness and result of the solvent on a small area. Be sure you have plenty of ventilation and, maybe, are not breaking the law for chemical usage in your area. 

Richard

G/F DAVE

« Reply #4 on: 09.12. 2007 20:12 »
Personally I would not use any sealer again in a petrol tank & would repair it properly, I only used it  on this yamaha as I didn,t wish to respray tank. If a tank leaks I would normally flash welding torch over filler hole to blow out old petrol fumes ( make sure you remove taps as well) & stand back. if you have,nt blown up tank by now you can weld repair it easily. As for rust inside tank a hand full of nuts & bolts & a pint of petrol work wonders just repeat untill petrol comes out clean. Dave..... PJ  if your sealer doesnt go off you have a problem to remove it, but I reckon it will given time...

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 09.12. 2007 22:34 »
Dave,

If unhardened or hardend resin/plasticizer is still on the inside of the tank, I don't think putting a torch to the outside is a good idea. Would you agree? I think you are right about doing a weld or brazing repair if the Petseal were not or wasn't still in there. That way, other metal work or plating could be done. In the case of my tank, there was so much rust that I could not imagine enough of it coming out with the screws and nuts approach. It probabaly would have required splitting the tank for a complete wire-wheel attack.

Richard

G/F DAVE

« Reply #6 on: 09.12. 2007 23:28 »
Richard

I would not torch a tank with a sealer inside,This is what I should have done instead of using sealer in the first place. Like I said I was trying to preserve the paintwork, you learn the hard way  I,ll shall  stick to the tried & tested method of blowing out fumes  & weld repair & respray the tank  as I have always done. Once you have this stuff in your tank thats it you are stuck with it . I have sold tanks in the past a lot of people ask if they have been petsealed if they have they are not keen to buy .This must speak for itself!As for rust there are A10 tanks available newly made but they are a lot lighter gauge metal but they fit & are ok for the money.Me myself would rather spend a a couple of days in workshop & repair  a BSA tank. Dave........