Author Topic: Rear wheel options.  (Read 917 times)

Offline trickytree

• A's Good Friend
  • Lincolnshire, England
Rear wheel options.
« on: 06.02. 2011 18:00 »
Determined that I am never going to get bored in my old age I am collecting bits for yet another project *roll*

Frame is a S/A A10 and I have the majority of a front end already so OK with that but need a rear wheel. What size wheels were fitted to A's.....were they all 19 or were 18's used?...if both were there any ride/handling differances between the two?

I dont know what final (or primary) gearing is going to be yet so may well have to be able to alter that so I think a full width hub is going to be best there. These dont seem to have had a very long run...are there any inherant problems with them...or are there even any advantages??

All comments most welcome so I can mull things over...Cheers, Paul.
1965 A65 Bobber
A10 Bitza project

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
Re: Rear wheel options.
« Reply #1 on: 07.02. 2011 13:55 »
Hi

As far as I know, all A's had 19 inch wheels. Why not just match whatever your front wheel is, if its a single side go for a QD rear, but the frame / Rear brake linkage will actually determine what you use. Full widths were used with the crossover brake linkage from 58 on and were ok, but were prone to going oval on the drum when the wheel was re spoked. But that can be skimmed out.

HTH
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline dpaddock

• NC, USA
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 07.02. 2011 14:49 »
Actually, it was 1956 when the cable-operated rear brake was introduced. That frame prefix is EA7; FA7 and GA7 followed in 1958 and 1960, respectively. The rims are all 19-inch as A10Boy states. See Roy Bacon's Twin Restoration book for details of the brakes, etc.
David
'57 Spitfire

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #3 on: 09.02. 2011 17:13 »
I was refering to the hub, the cast iron full width BSA / Trumpet type 58 on not the 56 on alloy Ariel jobbies. Obviously if you have the ariel type front you would want an Ariel type rear, but as mentioned, the frame's brake arrangement will determine which wheel hub will be suitable.
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 09.02. 2011 20:29 »
I have an 18" rear on mine through choice.
At the time it was difficult to get 19" rears other than avon SM
If you are wanting to run a rod operated qd brake, you could probably turn up a starfire or A50/ A65 wheel to do the job -they are 18". This all obviously depends on swing arms brake levers etc.
Using bits designed to go there will obviously be easier.

Cheers,
Iain